The difference between Palin's experience and Obama's

Paul

Rookie
Aug 30, 2008
Much has been made of Sarah Palin's and Barack Obama's inexperience. Both of them are inexperienced and based on any reasonable dispassionate and objective assessment, possibly both are ill prepared to lead this country.

However, there is one major difference between the two. In Palin's case, she is a "heartbeat" away from the presidency through an appointment, whereas Barack Obama has been "elected" by millions of Democrats, Independents and even Republicans (in some states) to represent his party as their legitimate nominee.

It is this support that legitimizes Barack Obama's run for office and Palin, by comparison, is nothing more than a McCain political ploy.

If I were an Obama operative, I would remind John McCain and the American people that there is a major difference between being the choice of millions, versus being the choice of one man.

Paul (A staunch Independent)

Palin at least has executive experience. For two years, she's carried the weight of Alaska on her shouldrs. Obama makes decisions in committees, so if something goes wrong, he can blameshift.

And Obama has experience serving on the senate foreign relations committee.

The question of experience is total red herring.

But, McCain's pick shows that his 'experience' argument against Obama was never something he really cared about. He's a hypocrite.

But, McCain's pick shows that his 'experience' argument against Obama was never something he really cared about. He's a hypocrite.

And Obama's pick of Biden shows that his "change" argument was something he never really cared about.

Well, that's a point worth considering. I'll be interested to see how that is addressed.

Are you conceding that McCain never particularly cared about experience?

Well, that's a point worth considering. I'll be interested to see how that is addressed.

Are you conceding that Obama never particularly cared about change?

And remember, McCain [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7Q0ghdTn4"]wasn't the only one [/ame]making a talking point out of Obama's lack of experience.

Last edited:

Since he has become senator... the vast majority of his time has been used to run for President... ALSO Obama and his staff have admitted he has done nothing basically on this committee... links have been already provided to this MANY times...

Obama is a farce.... with zero experience

Are you conceding that Obama never particularly cared about change?

And remember, McCain wasn't the only one making a talking point out of Obama's lack of experience.

I'll willing to consider conceding it in the near future if after watching the deabtes and so on it becomes clear that Obama is directed by Biden's vision rather than the other way round. I'm willing to oppen the discussion on this after a few debates.

But I asked you first. Are you conceding that McCain was never particularly concerned about experience? I answered your question, will you answer mine?

Palin at least has executive experience. For two years, she's carried the weight of Alaska on her shouldrs. Obama makes decisions in committees, so if something goes wrong, he can blameshift.

:lol: the weight of a state that isn't even as big as the county I live in here in Florida...such a burden I'm sure!!

I do agree that there is a major difference between Obama and Palin insomuch as has been pointed out, the voters chose Obama, McCain chose Palin. If you want McCain you have to settle for Palin regardless of what you think of her qualifications so it really puts his party and those who want to vote for him between a rock and a hard place.

Yes, that's exactly what they're saying.

All their complaints about "experience" was just a bunch of partisan, dishonest hot air. Palin is a heart beat away from the presidency, and she is the least qualified VP candidate since that Admiral Stockdale jokester Ross Perot nominated.

PS McCain doesn't have "executive" experience either. So, when a con crows about 17 months as a governor of alaska, its spin they've been taught to say by Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

Are you conceding that McCain was never particularly concerned about experience? I answered your question, will you answer mine?

No, I don't think he was. It was a talking point, and an easy way to put Obama in the corner. But McCain didn't start it, it started during the primaries.

McCain has said all along that Obama would be a good President and that he respects the guy, he just feels like he's got more experience and is better suited for the job.

All their complaints about "experience" was just a bunch of partisan, dishonest hot air.

Partisan hot air? The experience talk started a year ago when Obama decided to run. It was the primaries that put a light on his lack of experience, the Republicans just picked up on it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bG4Oezg6wQ]YouTube - RNC - 2008 President - Democrats On Obama - Web Ad[/ame]

Obama's top three priorities are....

Getting out of Iraq, universal healthcare, and American energy independence.

All three of these represent a change for the better.

No, I don't think he was. It was a talking point, and an easy way to put Obama in the corner. But McCain didn't start it, it started during the primaries.

McCain has said all along that Obama would be a good President and that he respects the guy, he just feels like he's got more experience and is better suited for the job.

more experience in what way? He's never held executive office. and just because someone has been on the job 26 years doesn't mean they are better at their job than someone who has only been there 4.

There is a co-worker of mine who has been with our company for almost 29 years, she's stuck in her ways and refuses to learn new and innovative ways of handling various situations as their arise. Another co-worker who has only recently been hired got up to speed and has since surpassed the more senior co-worker in both quality of work product and expediancy of completion.

Obama's top three priorities are....

Getting out of Iraq, universal healthcare, and American energy independence.

All three of these represent a change for the better.

Hey, thanks for bringing absolutely nothing to the table. We appreciate your partisan bullshit.

more experience in what way? He's never held executive office. and just because someone has been on the job 26 years doesn't mean they are better at their job than someone who has only been there 4.

EXACTLY! And, guess what, sometimes people with no experience are better than people with years worth. Palin brings something new not only to the national level, but to the Republican party as a whole. She can do what Obama preaches about: bring the two parties together. She vetoed a bill passed by Republicans in Alaska. She has a 90% approval rating in a state that's pretty purple.

When this is said and done, Palin will be the Republicans' Barack Obama. She's a new, fresh face. The Democrats have already proved that the public doesn't care about experience, so the Republicans are taking a page from their book. Kudos to them for being dynamic in their campaign.

Thanks for the honesty in admitting that virtually every republican on this board was being dishonest and disingenous for the last 12 months about Obama's "experience" and qualifications to be prez.

Thanks for the honesty in admitting that virtually every republican on this board was being dishonest and disingenous for the last 12 months about Obama's "experience" and qualifications to be prez.

I didn't speak for every Republican, especially since I'm not a Republican.

I didn't speak for every Republican, especially since I'm not a Republican.

Well, I still salute you for being honest. Every republican on this board who is now defending Palin's experience knows that they were being dishonest in spending the last 12 months attacking Obama's qualifications to be prez. Even if they won't publically admit it.

One thing this past week has taught us, is which candidate is acting like the elder Stateman: Obama picked someone who could step into the Commander in Chiefs shoes on a moments notice, if tragedy ever fell Obama

McCain picked someone out of sheer political calculation; someone who is probably the most inexperienced and unqualified VP pick in modern history.

Am I the only one sensing a bit of condenscending attitude towards Alaska right now? Such talk about the low population of the state like it's such a bad attribute for exprience. Well Alaska may be small in terms of population but our median income is also the 5th highest in the nation and we are an economic success story. Being the Governor of a state whose economy many others would envy is not exactly a black spot on one's resume. I may not vote for McCain/Palin but I hope she gives Obama hell for his "Change" rhetoric.

Palin has done a lot more for the economy than Obama could dream of. Just this August, Palin signed a bill into law awarding TransCanada Pipelines a license to build and operate the $26-billion-dollar pipeline to ship natural gas from the North Slope to the Lower 48 through Canada. Handling business in Alaska is not just nickles and dimes.

Forum List

Back