The demagogue that Hamilton warned about.............

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
You know, I've listened to a lot of Trump's speeches, both on the campaign trail, as well as since he's become president, and in all of them I find very little substance about how things are going to get done, but I do hear a lot of emotional language designed to stir up the emotions of those in attendance.

Then...............I thought about demagogues and the warning of our Founding Fathers.

But, before I go any further, because a lot of people might not know what a demagogue is, here is the definition from a dictionary site................

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
1. a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
2. (in ancient times) a leader of the people.
verb (used with object), demagogued, demagoguing.
3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.

the definition of demagogue

And.....................I'm not the only one saying it.......................

Opinion | Alexander Hamilton’s warning to 2016 voters

Yeah, yeah, yeah..................I know.............it's an opinion piece from the Washington Post, which automatically makes conservatives tune out, but you have to admit, Trump is exactly what the founding fathers warned about.

And....................it seems to be spreading to other elections as well. More and more politicians are using Trumps tactics of appealing to emotion without providing substance to try to win their elections.

You know, I've listened to a lot of Trump's speeches, both on the campaign trail, as well as since he's become president, and in all of them I find very little substance about how things are going to get done, but I do hear a lot of emotional language designed to stir up the emotions of those in attendance.

Then...............I thought about demagogues and the warning of our Founding Fathers.

But, before I go any further, because a lot of people might not know what a demagogue is, here is the definition from a dictionary site................

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun
1. a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.

Yeah, yeah, yeah..................I know.............it's an opinion piece from the Washington Post, which automatically makes conservatives tune out, but you have to admit, Trump is exactly what the founding fathers warned about.

And....................it seems to be spreading to other elections as well. More and more politicians are using Trumps tactics of appealing to emotion without providing substance to try to win their elections.
I agree. But at the same time, we deserve the "leaders" we choose. His win was a symptom of a much larger problem, and there is plenty of blame to go around for it, on both ends of the spectrum.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

I agree. But at the same time, we deserve the "leaders" we choose. His win was a symptom of a much larger problem, and there is plenty of blame to go around for it, on both ends of the spectrum.

For that, you can blame the GOP who in their bid to sound the most conservative, started using more and more heated rhetoric when talking about Obama.

Trump just saw that, and figured he could emotionally whip them up and get a seat in the WH.

It worked.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

For that, you can blame the GOP who in their bid to sound the most conservative, started using more and more heated rhetoric when talking about Obama.

Trump just saw that, and figured he could emotionally whip them up and get a seat in the WH.

It worked.
There was far more to it than that.

Too much of the alternative repulsed too many people. Trump supporters told us all why they were so motivated, and much of it had to do with the behaviors of the Left.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

Wow, America's first demagogue

I'm skeered.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

Obama and Clinton are who we were warned about. In fact, the founding fathers were emphatic in their warning about both. "THIS RIGHT SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED UPON" was what our politicians were told.

Last edited:

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

Sounds like Obungles

Like I said, in all his speeches you hear about how great something is, or how terrible it is because it was done by previous administrations, but you never hear Trump tell us HOW he's going to get things fixed.

He just tells us what he thinks about it without giving any substance.

TRUMPS simply better than the alternative . At the very least TRUMP is American with Americans interests / my interests at heart

Madison tried to warn us about Progressives in general.

"If Congress can employ money indefinitely to the general welfare,
and are the sole and supreme judges of the general welfare,
they may take the care of religion into their own hands;
they may appoint teachers in every State, county and parish
and pay them out of their public treasury;
they may take into their own hands the education of children,
establishing in like manner schools throughout the Union;
they may assume the provision of the poor;
they may undertake the regulation of all roads other than post-roads;
in short, every thing, from the highest object of state legislation
down to the most minute object of police,
would be thrown under the power of Congress.... Were the power
of Congress to be established in the latitude contended for,
it would subvert the very foundations, and transmute the very nature
of the limited Government established by the people of America."

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

It worked.

Too much of the alternative repulsed too many people. Trump supporters told us all why they were so motivated, and much of it had to do with the behaviors of the Left. [/ QUOTE]

Not the behaviors of the left. The lies they believed about the behaviors of the left,

yeah SCOTUS , Deportations , border work , putting good Federal Judges in place , rebuilding the USA military , working on the 'norks' and next the 'iranians' ..

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

It worked.

Too much of the alternative repulsed too many people. Trump supporters told us all why they were so motivated, and much of it had to do with the behaviors of the Left. [/ QUOTE]

Not the behaviors of the left. The lies they believed about the behaviors of the left,
No, PC and Identity Politics, two of the behaviors that animated Trumps's voters more than any other, have been shoved down the throats of Americans for a couple of generations now. No one has been lying to them about that. We can pretend that isn't the case, but it is.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

It worked.

No, PC and Identity Politics, two of the behaviors that animated Trumps's voters more than any other, have been shoved down the throats of Americans for a couple of generations now. No one has been lying to them about that. We can pretend that isn't the case, but it is.

Trump and his stupid followers think anti-PC is an excuse to be rude and obnoxious. Identity politics is what trump thrives on.

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

noun

It worked.
What a load of bullshit.

Every president in living memory has blathered on and on in virtually every speech with emotional bullshit and no real solutions at all. That is what works with the American people so that is exactly what every politician does. The only real differences with Trump is that he is much more in your face about it and since there is no actual solutions there in the first place it is more obvious.

Forum List

Back