The demagogue that Hamilton warned about.............

You know, I've listened to a lot of Trump's speeches, both on the campaign trail, as well as since he's become president, and in all of them I find very little substance about how things are going to get done, but I do hear a lot of emotional language designed to stir up the emotions of those in attendance.

Then...............I thought about demagogues and the warning of our Founding Fathers.

But, before I go any further, because a lot of people might not know what a demagogue is, here is the definition from a dictionary site................

demagogue

or demagog
[dem-uh-gog, -gawg]

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
1. a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
2. (in ancient times) a leader of the people.
verb (used with object), demagogued, demagoguing.
3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.

the definition of demagogue

And.....................I'm not the only one saying it.......................

Opinion | Alexander Hamilton’s warning to 2016 voters

Yeah, yeah, yeah..................I know.............it's an opinion piece from the Washington Post, which automatically makes conservatives tune out, but you have to admit, Trump is exactly what the founding fathers warned about.

And....................it seems to be spreading to other elections as well. More and more politicians are using Trumps tactics of appealing to emotion without providing substance to try to win their elections.
Pretty dumb thread. But don't fret, there's always HOPE & CHANGE

Democrat Politicians are almost pure demagogues with their religious bigotry, regional prejudices, class warfare and race based politics.

I agree. But at the same time, we deserve the "leaders" we choose. His win was a symptom of a much larger problem, and there is plenty of blame to go around for it, on both ends of the spectrum.

For that, you can blame the GOP who in their bid to sound the most conservative, started using more and more heated rhetoric when talking about Obama.

Trump just saw that, and figured he could emotionally whip them up and get a seat in the WH.

It worked.
There was far more to it than that.

Too much of the alternative repulsed too many people. Trump supporters told us all why they were so motivated, and much of it had to do with the behaviors of the Left. [/ QUOTE]

Not the behaviors of the left. The lies they believed about the behaviors of the left,
No, PC and Identity Politics, two of the behaviors that animated Trumps's voters more than any other, have been shoved down the throats of Americans for a couple of generations now. No one has been lying to them about that. We can pretend that isn't the case, but it is.

Trump and his stupid followers think anti-PC is an excuse to be rude and obnoxious. Identity politics is what trump thrives on.
The Democrats just refuse to look in the mirror on this. It's always someone else's fault.

Meanwhile, I'm reduced to hoping that Ginsburg & Kennedy stay upright for a while longer.

Forum List

Back