The day the devil visited and caused senseless death and destruction in Nairobi

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The day began for me just as other Fridays – the newspaper I worked for did not publish on weekends, so Fridays were pretty easy.

As the news editor, the first thing I did was to assign the reporters and photographers the duties for the day. I then assigned myself to cover the meeting between the United States Ambassador Prudence Bushnell and Minister for Trade, Prudence Bushnell .

I assigned Martin Waweru to be my photographer for the event. However, Waweru would not get out of the newsroom.

I pleaded, threatened and pleaded again but Waweru would say he had forgotten this or that and had to go back to the newsroom to look for the missing item.

Running out of patience, I started walking to the lifts (we were based on 12th floor of Lonrho House). Then I bumped into my elder brother, Ahmed Ben Bella, who had come to see me over some personal issue.
We rode together in the lift and just outside 20th Century Cinema, we stopped. Then it happened. The loud blast left in its wake a dusty whirlwind over the skies.
The day the devil visited Nairobi's innocent residents

I wish this article had been longer as it has potential.

Forum List

Back