The Dark Tower, the Gunslingers custom revolvers...that is what I was talking about....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Back a while ago I was wondering about Schofeld pistols but made in a modern way.....I looked on the internet for a gun like them but they all seemed to be made the same way with the break open top.......

I asked if they could be made with a swing out cylinder and modern safety features...since I like the style of the gun and didn't plan on competing in Cowboy Action shooting or collecting classic guns...

The movie the Gunslinger has what I was looking for.......

Dark Tower, The - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

The guns in action......The movie looks better than the first book..which was so depressing and boring I didn't read the rest....

Back a while ago I was wondering about Schofeld pistols but made in a modern way.....I looked on the internet for a gun like them but they all seemed to be made the same way with the break open top.......

I asked if they could be made with a swing out cylinder and modern safety features...since I like the style of the gun and didn't plan on competing in Cowboy Action shooting or collecting classic guns...

Dark Tower, The - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

The guns in action......The movie looks better than the first book..which was so depressing and boring I didn't read the rest....

Try Uberti ... they have several models of the Schofield replicas.

1875-schofield-2-mod-blue_1825581.jpg

I have a pair of their 1873 Cattlemen in brass frames (works of art). They are identical in design and operation to the originals but with modern metallurgy and chambered for common cartridges.

I have a pair of their 1873 Cattlemen in brass frames (works of art). They are identical in design and operation to the originals but with modern metallurgy and chambered for common cartridges.

Thanks, I have looked there but I am really not looking for identical design of the originals....I would like a model with a modern, swing out cylinder and modern safety features that allow 6 rounds in the cylinder......much as the 1911 has been copied and updated...I would like to see a company make this style of gun with modern revolver features.....

Thanks, I have looked there but I am really not looking for identical design of the originals....I would like a model with a modern, swing out cylinder and modern safety features that allow 6 rounds in the cylinder......much as the 1911 has been copied and updated...I would like to see a company make this style of gun with modern revolver features.....

The gun in the article is a Colt Navy with a long barrel while the Schofield is a pretty distinctive top-break, single action design. Having a top break precludes having a swing-out cylinder.

It looks to me like what you're looking at is a 'movie-gun' that never existed. They use different guns for different shots and you're not supposed to notice. For example, I don't see a cylinder pin on the close ups which means that, at least in some shots, it's a solid piece of plastic.

If you're looking for a Schofield-looking pistol with double-action you might try top find a double-action 1890 Colt Russian or a Smith and Wesson Model 3 or something similar. Even with a transfer bar or a hammer lock, I still wouldn't carry a round under the hammer. These primitive safeties can fail leaving you with a potential leg ventilator. Like John Wayne said in 'The Shootist' if you feel like you're gonna need a six-round, load it. Otherwise, carry five.

Last edited:

The gun in the article is a Colt Navy with a long barrel while the Schofield is a pretty distinctive top-break, single action design. Having a top break precludes having a swing-out cylinder.

It looks to me like what you're looking at is a 'movie-gun' that never existed. They use different guns for different shots and you're not supposed to notice. For example, I don't see a cylinder pin on the close ups which means that, at least in some shots, it's a solid piece of plastic.

If you're looking for a Schofield-looking pistol with double-action you might try top find a double-action 1890 Colt Russian or a Smith and Wesson Model 3 or something similar. Even with a transfer bar or a hammer lock, I still wouldn't carry a round under the hammer. These primitive safeties can fail leaving you with a potential leg ventilator. Like John Wayne said in 'The Shootist' if you feel like you're gonna need a six-round, load it. Otherwise, carry five.

Yeah.....it apparently didn't exist.....other revolvers of the time were loaded with a gate.....

I would like the same look, but with a modern swing out cylinder, a modern set of revolver hammer safeties and double action/single action, and a modern grip, heck...you could even go with a lower part that is polymer like the more modern pistols to lighten it up............in a .38/.357 caliber......

If I ever have a fortune, I might just start my own line of pistols.....

Forum List

Back