The Crittenden Automotive Library

Yeah, always helpful.

I have always had clunckers or slightly used vehicles. And I learned to work on my own vehicles.
And because of that, I always had a Chilton manual I kept in the vehicle to help me out.

/——/ Todays clunkers and slightly used cars are better quality than they were back in my day.

/——/ Todays clunkers and slightly used cars are better quality than they were back in my day.

BARELY.

Thats only because of the computers on them now, regulating the engines.
Before computers were installed on vehicles, we had to maintain engine equalibrium by hand. Which was hard to do for a lot of people, even mechanics......because there's so many moving parts and so many functions going on at once.

Other than that, no, vehicles are NOT better quality. Todays vehicles are made to be "disposable".......meaning they are made with super cheap parts, which cause them to start failing and falling apart as soon as you leave the dealership! They are made to be "cash cows" for constant and continuous maintenance fees and charges.

Vehicles like Kia and Hyundai are designed to be "disposable" vehicles, as a lot of their parts are not repairable and have to be switched out with brand new parts........which are usually connected to another part that cannot function unless IT is replaced as well.

90% of todays vehicle parts are made in China and Mexico, and they have no quality standards of any kind. China pumps out pure garbage, such as the differentials in many Asian made vehicles have, that are made out of pot-metal, not steel, and not high stress aluminum. Pot-metal is a cheap metal made from melted scraps, which breaks very easily and can shatter like glass.

When I was a teen in the 70's, you WANTED a clunker because you could have two vehicles hit eat other on the road at up to 50 mph, and all either vehicle would get was a scratch or small dent that was easily repairable.

Nowadays, there's no such thing as a "fender bender", because if another vehicle hits you going 15 lousy miles an hour, it does over $3000 in damage and could pop off your damned bumper and even bend your axle!!!

BARELY.

Before computers were installed on vehicles, we had to maintain engine equalibrium by hand. Which was hard to do for a lot of people, even mechanics......because there's so many moving parts and so many functions going on at once.

Other than that, no, vehicles are NOT better quality. Todays vehicles are made to be "disposable".......meaning they are made with super cheap parts, which cause them to start failing and falling apart as soon as you leave the dealership! They are made to be "cash cows" for constant and continuous maintenance fees and charges.

Vehicles like Kia and Hyundai are designed to be "disposable" vehicles, as a lot of their parts are not repairable and have to be switched out with brand new parts........which are usually connected to another part that cannot function unless IT is replaced as well.

90% of todays vehicle parts are made in China and Mexico, and they have no quality standards of any kind. China pumps out pure garbage, such as the differentials in many Asian made vehicles have, that are made out of pot-metal, not steel, and not high stress aluminum. Pot-metal is a cheap metal made from melted scraps, which breaks very easily and can shatter like glass.

When I was a teen in the 70's, you WANTED a clunker because you could have two vehicles hit eat other on the road at up to 50 mph, and all either vehicle would get was a scratch or small dent that was easily repairable.

Nowadays, there's no such thing as a "fender bender", because if another vehicle hits you going 15 lousy miles an hour, it does over $3000 in damage and could pop off your damned bumper and even bend your axle!!!

The parts are made cheap and the dealers charge high prices for repair parts on top of that. Obama's' cash for clunkers' scam has also driven up repair prices for working people who can't afford to buy a new car every year.

WEll, 60,000 miles was considered worn out in the 1960's and 70's. and Detroit rolled out some real junkpile trash in the 1980's, while the Jap cars were small and low powered but held up well. Now 200K miles is a lot more common. for those like myself who spend a lot on maintenance and filter and oil changes. I have over 130K on one vehicle and I still can't see the oil on my dipstick without checking it three or four times and holding the stick up in the light at different angles. the crappy plastic interiors and seat covers go a lot faster than the engines and trannies do these days. My driver's side door handle on that one is a pair of vice grips. It's a 2001 year model.

WEll, 60,000 miles was considered worn out in the 1960's and 70's. and Detroit rolled out some real junkpile trash in the 1980's, while the Jap cars were small and low powered but held up well. Now 200K miles is a lot more common. for those like myself who spend a lot on maintenance and filter and oil changes. I have over 130K on one vehicle and I still can't see the oil on my dipstick without checking it three or four times and holding the stick up in the light at different angles. the crappy plastic interiors and seat covers go a lot faster than the engines and trannies do these days. My driver's side door handle on that one is a pair of vice grips. It's a 2001 year model.
200k is a lot more common now? Um, if youre car isnt hitting at least 250k, its a piece of shit.

BARELY.

Wow, I hope you didn't apply for the Shell Answer Man job.
Differentials aren't made of "pot" metal. Housing... think ductile iron. The carriers can be aluminum.

Forum List

Back