‘The country is in chaos, there are bombs everywhere’

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Hopefully there will be a day when this young man can come back and help his country.

‘The country is in chaos, there are bombs everywhere’
July 21, 2015
by Oli Dugmore
FacebookTwitter
20shares

Meet Kais Chaya, who fled Syria to study at Queen’s

“My father said to me, you can either go back and fight and die in action, or you can leave and get an education. Get a proper degree and come back in the future, help the country when it actually matters. When it actually needs you.”

21-year-old Kais Chaya left Syria in 2012. Since then he has taken a six month long English language course in Dubai, and successfully applied to study Architecture at Queens University Belfast.

He’s just finished his second year, and will be continuing his studies in September.

“I used to live in a town called Sweida, in the South of Syria. I did half a term of Architecture at Tishreen University on the coast, until my parents decided that it was too unsafe for us to stay, and my mother and I left to join my Father in the United Arab Emirates. He has been there since 2003.

“Most of my friends are still in Syria, though, trying to get an education. I cannot watch the news, I dread it. I haven’t watched the news in over a year and a half. For my family, and friends, all I can do is contact them to see if they are fine.”

Continue reading at:

The country is in chaos there are bombs everywhere

Forum List

Back