The Confederacy was an Evil Empire

It is not our legacy.
I had nothing to do with it.
Just like I had nothing to do with the ancestral slave history from Northern Europe.
It is quite likely I am a descendent of Vikings... so I am somehow guilty of their many atrocities?

Again - harping about Americas very small and very-very short history of using slaves is just ignorant.
America is the only nation on earth that went to war with itself to end slavery. And did it.
It is now the most diverse nation in world history.
We have way-way-way-way-way more to celebrate in our nations legacy than dwelling on what was wrong with it.
America relied on slaves for over 200 years
They did it too is no excuse.
Of all those other nations that had slaves, I do not see them erecting monuments and celebrating their history of slavery

1713806675081.jpeg

Last edited:
The idea that only the slave holders were culpable for slavery is nonsense.

Those brave soldiers who fought for the Confederacy went home and joined the Klan because negros did not know their place
They enforced Jim Crow through laws and acts of terrorism
The Civil War was a traumatic event on both sides both for northern and southern soldiers

But the south suffered the most and was the most radicalized

The Klan btw existed and flourished in the north and the south

The Civil War was a traumatic event on both sides both for northern and southern soldiers

But the south suffered the most and was the most radicalized

The Klan btw existed and flourished in the north and the south
The first version of the Klan was formed in the south to “keep negroes in their place”

These were the former Confederate Soldiers

The second version was around WWI and was more nationwide

The first version of the Klan was formed in the south to “keep negroes in their place”

These were the former Confederate Soldiers

The second version was around WWI and was more nationwide
So?

What does that have to do with anything?

The north elected to punish the south for starting the war and that feed bitterness that was directed at the negroes

That does not make it right but human nature is what it is

For over a hundred and fifty years, the legacy of the Confederacy has been sold as a noble Lost Cause of states defending their states rights.

The reality is that the Confederacy was an Evil Empire. One of the worst nations in the history of mankind.

The Confederacy was built on ensuring that the institution of slavery would exist forever,
The Confederacy kept 40 percent of its population in bondage.
The economy of the Confederacy was built around enforced free labor. Labor enforced by whip and chain.
The Confederacy used women for breeding and then sold the children.
The Confederacy considered human slaves as no more than livestock

By any valuation, this was pure EVIL and should never be defended or honored in todays society.
Bullshit.

Dont judge 19th Century men by 21st Century standards

Slavery was practiced almost everywhere in the world at the time although white Christians were among the first to begin outlawing it

In the South it was an institution that was older than anyone alive at the time

If you think its easy for any society to embrace major change you are naive

But change would have come sooner or later with or without the war because Americans are fair-minded people
In the West and Latin America, only the USA, Cuba, and Brazil still had legal slavery in 1860.

So?

What does that have to do with anything?

The north elected to punish the south for starting the war and that feed bitterness that was directed at the negroes

That does not make it right but human nature is what it is

My point is that trying to absolve Confederate Soldiers and place the blame only on slaveholders is not valid.

Those soldiers came home and enacted their own version of slavery…..Jim Crow
They enforced it through terrorism and the Klan

The fact you would even ask for a link shows just how egregiously ignorant you are on the subject.
And I use the word egregious purposefully. Because you rant on about past American slavery, but have no knowledge, clearly, about global slave history - and the fact slavery is still widely used today - and you have no problems buying those products they make.
So - YOU - are profiting from slavery... and yet, bitch about slavery 200 years ago.

Enormous ignorance and hypocritical.

Haha... no, several of them are still using slaves. And you buy their products practically every day.
Maybe you should start a thread on todays economic abuses around the world.

But I don’t see Americans erecting monuments celebrating Chinese labor camps

The fact you would even ask for a link shows just how egregiously ignorant you are on the subject.
And I use the word egregious purposefully. Because you rant on about past American slavery, but have no knowledge, clearly, about global slave history - and the fact slavery is still widely used today - and you have no problems buying those products they make.
So - YOU - are profiting from slavery... and yet, bitch about slavery 200 years ago.

Link?

It is when you put yourself in the place of southern white farmers who placed loyalty to their family, neighbors and their state above strangers in the north
Sounds noble, but they still profited off of that slave economy that was the overwhelming majority of Southern GDP

Those noble farmers eagerly joined a Confederacy built to ensure slavery…..The “Cornerstone” of their nation.
They came home, enacted strict Jim Crow Laws and joined the Klan to keep their newly freed negro neighbors in line

That is only Orange Projection. To condemn Confederates, their soldiers, and their officials for slavery is moral and imperative. It is not presentism. It was immoral and wrong by the majority of the Western Nations in 1860.

Forum List

Back