The Caucus debacle in Colorado and who's really responsible for it.

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
I am a Coloradoan--and remember this well. Last year when the State Legislature was in session--Republicans (State Senator Kevin Grantham) sponsored a bill to get a Presidential primary installed for 2016. Democrats were on board with it, and it was actually the sponsor of the bill, Kevin Grantham, that backed out and wouldn't let it come up for a vote. In fact it was 4 Republican State senators that wouldn't let it get out of the appropriations committee for a vote. It's one of those they supported it at first, and then they didn't. I assume they backed out of it because of special interest groups that were putting the pressure on them to keep the caucus system as it.
Colorado GOP flubs chance for 2016 presidential primary
Frontloading HQ: Colorado Presidential Primary Bill Dies in Committee

Now since it's turned into a disaster--Breitbart news has decided to out them.
Revealed: Colorado Lawmakers Who Voted to Scrap Election Are Ted Cruz Delegates - Breitbart

They are Colorado state Senators, Kevin Grantham, Laura Woods, Jerry Sonnenberg & Kent Lambert.

The caucus is the worst case example of voter disenfranchisement in this country today, that is still operational. In fact, I am surprised that no one has challenged it's use in a Presidential primary. It disenfranchises so many. Overseas military, the elderly, those who are sick, young parents with children who can't get a babysitter to sit around a 3 hour meeting to cast a vote, and those who work during the caucus time period. Usually producing very low voter participation--and typically in Colorado less that 1% of either party shows up to participate. Caucus states are great at picking who the loser will be, and are full of far left or far right candidate supporters, that in no way represents the majority sentiment of either party.

It's time Colorado went back to a Presidential primary. If you're a Coloradoan you can join "Kill the caucus" from your Facebook page, and by pushing the like button you can stay informed as to what is going on in Colorado. Here is that link: Kill the Caucus

Last edited:

Forum List

Back