The catalogues are in!!!! Seed ordering time. YAYAYAY!

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
This year is super special because I am in my new home with close to 2 acres that are raw and I can turn them into anything I want to.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge veggie garden planned and my seed catalogues are in and some of the new products freaking kill me. Indigo tomatoes. Unreal.

I am going to buy heavy off of Johnny's because the germination rate is to die for with their seeds.

So fellow gardeners what say you for this season?

It's plant genocide time.

This is going to be the year though. I am going to plant everything I need ('cept olive oil) for an eggplant salad and tabbouleh ('cept bulgar). On my porch. Next to the water can. Blocking the front entrance.

I'm not ready for seeds.

I bought a bunch of seeds all optimistic and on the way home had about 20 deer cross in front of me which makes me all pessimistic again. I am sure I will plant some of them, but why bother.

I bought a bunch of seeds all optimistic and on the way home had about 20 deer cross in front of me which makes me all pessimistic again. I am sure I will plant some of them, but why bother.

I'm in mega deer country. I have quite a number of tricks on how to deer proof a garden that doesn't require the use of a firearm.

Well not until fall

:lol:

Seriously. Learned all these goodies from an old timey in Tennessee. And they work.

I'm in mega deer country. I have quite a number of tricks on how to deer proof a garden that doesn't require the use of a firearm.

Well not until fall

Seriously. Learned all these goodies from an old timey in Tennessee. And they work.

Nothing wrong with a little spring venison either.

Well not until fall

There is a black white tail in our area. Haven't gotten a good look at it but have caught glimpses of it a few times. Still too small to be hunted. Hoping to get a photo of it before it gets poached by a trophy hunter.

Well not until fall

I have done most of them I'm sure with limited success. Well except the jars of pee thing. I am not peeing into jars, hiking it out to the garden and then having to look at and smell that nasty. I am just going to buy fence by the mile and fence each row. If you make a big fence around it all, they will just jump it, but they are a little iffy about closed in spaces so I will just try doing the rows they prefer to clean out like tomatoes. The lower growing stuff I will arch fence over with supports to keep it off the plants.

This year is super special because I am in my new home with close to 2 acres that are raw and I can turn them into anything I want to.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge veggie garden planned and my seed catalogues are in and some of the new products freaking kill me. Indigo tomatoes. Unreal.

I am going to buy heavy off of Johnny's because the germination rate is to die for with their seeds.

So whats the story on heirloom seeds?

Well not until fall

There is a black white tail in our area. Haven't gotten a good look at it but have caught glimpses of it a few times. Still too small to be hunted. Hoping to get a photo of it before it gets poached by a trophy hunter.

That veal venison. Or venison veal or just tender tasty venison mcnuggets....pest control isnt hunting. Hunting is something urban dwellers do on weekends in season.

Well not until fall

I have done most of them I'm sure with limited success. Well except the jars of pee thing. I am not peeing into jars, hiking it out to the garden and then having to look at and smell that nasty. I am just going to buy fence by the mile and fence each row. If you make a big fence around it all, they will just jump it, but they are a little iffy about closed in spaces so I will just try doing the rows they prefer to clean out like tomatoes. The lower growing stuff I will arch fence over with supports to keep it off the plants.

What about a taller perimeter fence? Say 6 or 8ft high? Or use other types of 'obstacles'? Living closer to town, I don't have problem with deer, but I grow several things vertically, like pole beans on towers & teepees and cukes, or small squash on some repurposed crib springs and larger squash on ladders.

Or here is some other suggestions....

How to Keep Deer Out of Your Yard

7 Plants That'll Keep Deer Out Of Your Garden

https://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/deer-proof-your-garden-zbcz1711

just be careful if you plant mint as a deterrent for deer, that stuff can become invasive quickly and is difficult to keep under control

I save most of my own seeds year after year. I still love to spend time with the seed catalogues.

Do you also save carrot seed? If so, have you had any luck with it?

I've tried a couple of times now over the years, but the resulting carrots must have cross pollinated with Queen Anne's Lace because the roots are usually a pale yellow or white. They do smell overwhelmingly of carrot though

If you want to save your seeds, get the heirloom varieties. Although they can be a bit trickier than hybrids.

In the past I've bought my heirlooms from Baker Creek Rare Heirloom Seeds | Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

I've had great success with some of them, and not so much with others.......but I think that's because of the climate differences from Missouri to Washington state. I just don't have the heat they do

Also, look into getting a few chickens. They can be a big help by eating bugs & grubs that will eat your garden, and the chickens will turn the soil when they scratch around in it.........just don't let them in the garden during the growing season or they will eat the garden too, unless you have them in a chicken tractor that will keep them confined.

I save most of my own seeds year after year. I still love to spend time with the seed catalogues.

Do you also save carrot seed? If so, have you had any luck with it?

I've tried a couple of times now over the years, but the resulting carrots must have cross pollinated with Queen Anne's Lace because the roots are usually a pale yellow or white. They do smell overwhelmingly of carrot though

I do have carrots and as i said im not home to actually check but i know i have danvers half long seeds.

Well not until fall

What about a taller perimeter fence? Say 6 or 8ft high? Or use other types of 'obstacles'? Living closer to town, I don't have problem with deer, but I grow several things vertically, like pole beans on towers & teepees and cukes, or small squash on some repurposed crib springs and larger squash on ladders.

Deer-Proof Your Garden with Deer-Resistant Plants, Repellents and More - Nature and Environment – MOTHER EARTH NEWS

just be careful if you plant mint as a deterrent for deer, that stuff can become invasive quickly and is difficult to keep under control

I have about 50 peonies and they do not keep deer away. I also have some of the other plants listed. I plan on doing a 6 foot fence and we will see what happens though techically it should be 10-12, but cannot find fencing that high in our area other than chain linked.

I also have a couple kinds of mint that don't keep the deer from eating what is even next to it. My sweet mint is rather contained, but I have another variety that has unfortunately taken over two beds. I battle the stuff non-stop and cannot get rid of it completely as it is off into my neighbors grass as well and keeps coming back my way. I turned one of the beds this winter and even the soil smells like the stuff.

So whats the story on heirloom seeds?

I have a fabulous source for heirloom seeds. Heritage Seeds they're called but I think they only ship in Canada. Johnny's does list some heirloom veggies especially peppers and tomatoes.

Well not until fall

Deer-Proof Your Garden with Deer-Resistant Plants, Repellents and More - Nature and Environment – MOTHER EARTH NEWS

I have about 50 peonies and they do not keep deer away. I also have some of the other plants listed. I plan on doing a 6 foot fence and we will see what happens though techically it should be 10-12, but cannot find fencing that high in our area other than chain linked.

I also have a couple kinds of mint that don't keep the deer from eating what is even next to it. My sweet mint is rather contained, but I have another variety that has unfortunately taken over two beds. I battle the stuff non-stop and cannot get rid of it completely as it is off into my neighbors grass as well and keeps coming back my way. I turned one of the beds this winter and even the soil smells like the stuff.

One of the best tricks I learned from southern old timeys was to hang clusters of hair around and thru your garden. Bag it in cheesecloth. Any hairdresser or barber will be more than happy to oblige you with hair clippings.

Other sure fire way to keep deer at bay is to get your husband /and or sons to take nightly leaks around the perimeter of your garden. If that grosses them out then its worth purchasing predator urine from any hunting store.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back