The case for more concealed carry of hand guns for normal, law abiding citizens...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Another great bit of research by Dr. John Lott....the foremost expert on the use of guns for self defense...

The Case for More Concealed Handguns, by John R. Lott Jr., National Review

Time after time, we see killers consciously pick target zones in which their victims are defenseless. Look at the shootings over the last couple of years that occurred at a church in Charleston, a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., a sorority house in Santa Barbara, and in Canada.

Only 1 percent of the mass public shootings since 1950 have occurred where general citizens have been able to defend themselves. The Sunday-morning national talk shows have made much of the fact that Pulse nightclub served alcohol. Jonathan Karl on ABC News’s This Week asked, “Is that really what you want is, people late at night, drinking at a nightclub, two–three o’clock in the morning, armed to the teeth?” John Dickerson on Face the Nation was equally incredulous.

In fact, 40 states allow people to have guns with them in bars.

There is not a single example in a bar of someone getting drunk in a bar and shooting at others.

Nor is there a case in which a sober person in a bar unjustifiably shot others.

In something like designated-driver laws, some states prohibit permit holders from drinking while they are carrying in bars.

States also make it crime for a permit holder to carry a gun while drunk.

By any measure, permit holders are incredibly law-abiding. Unfortunately for the nightclub patrons at Pulse, Florida is not one of the states that allow concealed carry in bars.

Police are probably the single most important factor in stopping crime, but stopping mass public shootings is an extremely dangerous proposition for officers and security guards alike. Attackers will generally shoot first at any uniformed guards or officers who are present. During the Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris last year, the first person killed was the guard who was protecting the magazine’s offices.

Read more at: The Case for More Concealed Handguns, by John R. Lott Jr., National Review

Carry conceal owners are responsible gun owners. It's the fruit cakes and thugs they need to worry about

The thing to understand is these things will happen in spite of any repressive gun laws. None of these bikers was (is) licensed to carry. Nor are any of those individuals who commit the tens of thousands of gun-related crimes every year, nor are any of those criminals and potential criminals who are walking around "strapped" today.

Gun laws disarm only the peaceful law-abiding citizens.

Last edited:

The thing to understand is these things will happen in spite of any repressive gun laws. None of these bikers was (is) licensed to carry. Nor are any of those individual who commit the tens of thousands of gun-related crimes every year, nor are any of those criminals and potential criminals who are walking around "strapped" today.

None of them were licensed? Are you certain?

Yeah, that was a gang shooting. You should watch the entire Hells Angels documentary so you understand the context and don't sound like a complete asshole confusing criminals with law abiding citizens.

The OP said there were no shootouts in bars. I showed there was. He is the only one that is confused.

That was a gang shooting, not a dispute between law abiding citizens. Watch the entire documentary so you don't sound like a drunk, drooling retard.

Yeah, that was a gang shooting. You should watch the entire Hells Angels documentary so you understand the context and don't sound like a complete asshole confusing criminals with law abiding citizens.

The OP said there were no shootouts in bars. I showed there was. He is the only one that is confused.

That was a gang shooting, not a dispute between law abiding citizens. Watch the entire documentary so you don't sound like a drunk, drooling retard.

The reference was to law abiding citizens, not criminal gangs like the Hells Angels, dummy.

The thing to understand is these things will happen in spite of any repressive gun laws. None of these bikers was (is) licensed to carry. Nor are any of those individual who commit the tens of thousands of gun-related crimes every year, nor are any of those criminals and potential criminals who are walking around "strapped" today.

None of them were licensed? Are you certain?

I have no way of knowing for certain -- and I doubt you have. But a reasonable guess is biker gang members are usually not acceptable candidates for CCW permits.

People carry unconcealed up on Cripple Creek. No carnage, but we did have a shoot out once. Two guys got into it and decided to pace it off at the fairgrounds. They stepped, turned and

A once honored tradition to settle conflict.

It should be brought back.

That's a funny video.

The smart rats are scampering away.

The dumb rats are looking for a fight.

The first rule in any gunfight is seek cover.

The second rule is try to escape and get away.

No gun will help you if you are simply outgunned.

The problem with guns in bars is drunks in bars.

Drunks will pick a fight with you whether you are armed or not.

If the drunk has a gun he will start a shootout.

Bars are not smart places to go.

They are even less smart places to go if there are guns in the bars.

Drunks who go to bars should leave their guns in their cars.

Nightclubs are not safe with guns in them either.

Dancing could jar loose the gun from its holster and it could fall and hit the ground and go off.

Even with all the safeties in the world, the jarring energy of a dropped gun could set off the fulminate of mercury.

The problem with guns in bars is drunks in bars.

Drunks will pick a fight with you whether you are armed or not.

If the drunk has a gun he will start a shootout.

Bars are not smart places to go.

They are even less smart places to go if there are guns in the bars.

Drunks who go to bars should leave their guns in their cars.

Nightclubs are not safe with guns in them either.

Dancing could jar loose the gun from its holster and it could fall and hit the ground and go off.

Even with all the safeties in the world, the jarring energy of a dropped gun could set off the fulminate of mercury.

Nightclubs are not safe as gun free zones. Or did you just wake up from a coma and miss the entire story of Orlando, Florida?

The reference was to law abiding citizens, not criminal gangs like the Hells Angels, dummy.

The reference was to bars.

The reference was to bars.
Gun play in bars is a nonissue

Forum List

Back