The Business of Green!!

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
The Generation team of 36 people represents 16 countries and speaks 10 languages. Our investment team was founded by bringing together seasoned equity analysts and leaders from the sustainability research field. Today these skills are integrated into Generation's team of 16 investment professionals who have over 150 years of combined investment experience.

Full biographies of our team are available below:

Partners
The Honorable Al Gore, Chairman
David Blood, Senior Partner
Mark Ferguson, Managing Partner, Chief Investment Officer
Peter Harris, Managing Partner, Chief Operating Officer
Peter S. Knight, Managing Partner; President, US Business
Colin le Duc, Managing Partner, Senior PM Climate Solutions
Miguel Nogales, Managing Partner, Senior PM Global Equity
Hans Mehn, Partner
Mark Mills, Partner
Generation is an independent, private, owner-managed partnership with offices in London and New York. The firm was co-founded in 2004 by Al Gore and David Blood.

Sustainable Investing for the Long Term
Generation's investment approach is based on the idea that sustainability factors—economic, environmental, social and governance criteria—will drive a company's returns over the long term. By integrating sustainability issues with traditional analysis, we aim to deliver superior investment returns
About Us | Generation Investment Management LLP

David Blood: Sustainability investing is the explicit recognition that social, economic, environmental, and ethical factors directly affect business strategy—for example, how companies attract and retain employees, how they manage the risks and create opportunities from climate change, a company’s culture, corporate-governance standards, stakeholder-engagement strategies, philanthropy, reputation, and brand management. These factors are particularly important today given the widening of societal expectations of corporate responsibility

A little food for thought here, while climate change is an issue that many debate here and elsewhere, the ones that are beating the drums the loudest are also the ones that seem to be the one's that will profit most from this so called change.

The Generation team of 36 people represents 16 countries and speaks 10 languages. Our investment team was founded by bringing together seasoned equity analysts and leaders from the sustainability research field. Today these skills are integrated into Generation's team of 16 investment professionals who have over 150 years of combined investment experience.

Full biographies of our team are available below:

Partners
The Honorable Al Gore, Chairman
David Blood, Senior Partner
Mark Ferguson, Managing Partner, Chief Investment Officer
Peter Harris, Managing Partner, Chief Operating Officer
Peter S. Knight, Managing Partner; President, US Business
Colin le Duc, Managing Partner, Senior PM Climate Solutions
Miguel Nogales, Managing Partner, Senior PM Global Equity
Hans Mehn, Partner
Mark Mills, Partner
Generation is an independent, private, owner-managed partnership with offices in London and New York. The firm was co-founded in 2004 by Al Gore and David Blood.

Sustainable Investing for the Long Term
Generation's investment approach is based on the idea that sustainability factors—economic, environmental, social and governance criteria—will drive a company's returns over the long term. By integrating sustainability issues with traditional analysis, we aim to deliver superior investment returns
About Us | Generation Investment Management LLP

David Blood: Sustainability investing is the explicit recognition that social, economic, environmental, and ethical factors directly affect business strategy—for example, how companies attract and retain employees, how they manage the risks and create opportunities from climate change, a company’s culture, corporate-governance standards, stakeholder-engagement strategies, philanthropy, reputation, and brand management. These factors are particularly important today given the widening of societal expectations of corporate responsibility

A little food for thought here, while climate change is an issue that many debate here and elsewhere, the ones that are beating the drums the loudest are also the ones that seem to be the one's that will profit most from this so called change.

You got that right - and frankly, it is sickening.

And governments jump on the bandwagon with enthusiasm, knowing they have found another goose to lay the golden egg. I don't know how it is affecting your country at the moment Navy, but the British government - and most European governments - are introducing so called green tax after green tax. The bastards are squeezing so hard, you can now hear the pips squeaking.

Sinatra, great crooner by the way, it would appear that not much thought has really gone into the business of green at least on the surface. Let me cite you a few examples, switching to a green based economy will do absolutly nothing to stop countries like China or India for that matter from building coal plants at a record pace. Still further, all the green jobs this switch will create will create them in countries that are already the leaders in this technology. for example China and Japan, both leaders in Lithium Ion and Solar Cell technology. In fact most of the soo called "green technologies" components are made from foreign sources. For years, GM talked a bule streak about the HCV and what company was the first to come out with a production model of an HCV that was Japan with Honda. As far as hybrid technology goes even the software to and the Lithium ION batteries needed to switch to this plug in hybrid technology is years ahead in China and Japan. So this is not about global warming as much as it about a select few groups who stand to make a lot of money in the trading of carbon credits if massive restrictions are placed on the American economy. Take a look at Nuclear, while costly, it is essentially completely Green however because no one stands to gain from it , it is seen as a bad technology and therefor not usable here however President Obama has indicated that it is fine foe other countries. Clean Coal coverts the Co2 into a liquid form that needs to be stored into the earth just like Nuclear waste, and in the case of Clean Coal which is beta technology it would have serious implications for ground water. As I said this about "Green Business" and has zero to do with saving the planet, that is the marketing aspect laid down for the masses to chew on.

Actually boot in order to begin to pay for everything here I can assure you taxes on everything deemed not good for you will be big. Isn't interesting though that Al Gore made the choice of London rather than New York for his Carbon trading business though?

Actually boot in order to begin to pay for everything here I can assure you taxes on everything deemed not good for you will be big. Isn't interesting though that Al Gore made the choice of London rather than New York for his Carbon trading business though?

Well, there's one thing certain Navy. Gore will fit in well with the charlatans currently running our country into the ground.

Well keep the faith Boot, and know that your not alone as we here are sharing the same fate as you. People here are pouding the drum to become even more like the U.K. when it comes to healthcare for all and climate change, and taxes. I find it ironic though that when you actually visit the U.K. most of the people I have spoken with, would like to have less intervention by Govt. and feel like we have it fairly good here. While here Boot many want more Govt. intervention in their lives, you and I have seen first hand what happens when Govts. get out of hand Boot. and I don't have to tell you that giving up liberties is about as smart as hitting yourself with a cricket bat. However, this "Green Business" is just another step by some to grab power and they need something to stir up the masses to increase profits, so what better way to do that, than to run wild with Global Warming.

Yet it may come as a surprise that at a time of financial crisis and Green correctness, many of the wealthy are choosing to arrive by private jet.

According to an article in Bloomberg, as many as 600 private jets were expected to touch down in D.C. for the inauguration.
Obama Inauguration Sets Record for Private Jets - The Wealth Report - WSJ
Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh — guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.
2/26/2007 - Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth” - And Replies - Opinion - Chattanoogan.com

Trust me these people are not concerned in the least about Global Warming and are using Climate Change that could be natural or man made in some respects as a marketing tool.

Yet it may come as a surprise that at a time of financial crisis and Green correctness, many of the wealthy are choosing to arrive by private jet.

According to an article in Bloomberg, as many as 600 private jets were expected to touch down in D.C. for the inauguration.
Obama Inauguration Sets Record for Private Jets - The Wealth Report - WSJ
Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh — guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.
2/26/2007 - Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth” - And Replies - Opinion - Chattanoogan.com

Trust me these people are not concerned in the least about Global Warming and are using Climate Change that could be natural or man made in some respects as a marketing tool.

and from what i understand this sonofabitch makes money every time one of those corkscrew light bulbs is sold.....the ones he is trying to shove down our throats....

That's a new one I've not heard Harry, I wasn't aware her earned any money from the sale of them. I was aware that he listed that as the number one thing people can do to cut down on energy usage. However even that has it's environmental hazards.

It’s listed as the top thing you can do by Al Gore’s Web site on climate change to reduce your carbon impact at home – replacing a regular incandescent light bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL).

But Gore doesn’t warn you about what could happen if you improperly dispose of them or even accidentally break one. The Washington Post’s Eco Wise columnist Eviana Hartman reminded readers, “they contain a small amount of mercury, a potent neurotoxin.”

The Dangers of Those Energy-Saving Light Bulbs

It would not surprise me one bit to find that somehow, Al Gore Inc. the self contained Global Warming media machine is not somehow making some sort of profit on the sale in some small way. As I indicated above it's all about "Green Business" and Global Warming is the marketing tool to bring in the customers even if they don't want to be customers.

That's a new one I've not heard Harry, I wasn't aware her earned any money from the sale of them. I was aware that he listed that as the number one thing people can do to cut down on energy usage. However even that has it's environmental hazards.

It’s listed as the top thing you can do by Al Gore’s Web site on climate change to reduce your carbon impact at home – replacing a regular incandescent light bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL).

But Gore doesn’t warn you about what could happen if you improperly dispose of them or even accidentally break one. The Washington Post’s Eco Wise columnist Eviana Hartman reminded readers, “they contain a small amount of mercury, a potent neurotoxin.”

It would not surprise me one bit to find that somehow, Al Gore Inc. the self contained Global Warming media machine is not somehow making some sort of profit on the sale in some small way. As I indicated above it's all about "Green Business" and Global Warming is the marketing tool to bring in the customers even if they don't want to be customers.

in one of the other threads we were talking about these Bulbs and why they are not so great.....someone posted a article that said,not claimed,that Big Al and some of his buddies have a lot of bucks invested in these.....

in one of the other threads we were talking about these Bulbs and why they are not so great.....someone posted a article that said,not claimed,that Big Al and some of his buddies have a lot of bucks invested in these.....

Why do you think he doctored the "global warming doctrine" in the first place, and why he's paying the scientists to lie about their numbers? Our city is already starting to ban all but those specific bulbs.

Did you notice the ad at the top of the article page? I wonder who owns the company providing the bulb disposal containers?

ponders* the question! well Vel have you noticed that G.E. is a major producer of them? Well go figure, and G.E. what news media outlet that happens to very pro Obama? NBC, and MSNBC? It wouldn't be because there was business at stake here would there? No tell me it's not the mean corporations actually at the bottom of this. That was a bit tongue n cheek there, However, here's another one I have mentioned a little bit ago, take a look at Clean Coal and the disposal of the liquid Co2 by product then tell me how green it is! The bottom line is this is nothing but a business venture.

Navy, you posted saying that these components are manufactured in other nations. What if we started manufacturing them? I agree that they are creating a product that is subjective, but wouldn't creating a market that would induce American manufacturing help right now? Also wouldn't reducing anual costs like energy be more profitable in the long run?

Heres the problem with that wv, it all boils down to costs and research. If the US can produce a better product for less money that the market will buy then great. However, what I am telling you is that all these so called "green jobs" are already in play and there are NOT here. The US is is consuming these technologies yes, but as a producer we lag behind in almost every catagory and I'm not just talking about a little I'm talking about a LOT. Want an example, where do you think most of the hybrid engine technology comes from foreign sources want an example,

The Escape Hybrid uses technology similar to that used in Toyota's Prius. Ford engineers realized their technology may conflict with patents held by Toyota, which led to a 2004 patent-sharing accord between the companies, licensing Ford's use of some of Toyota's hybrid technology[9] in exchange for Toyota's use of some of Ford's diesel and direct-injection engine technology.[10] Ford maintains that Ford received no technical assistance from Toyota in developing the hybrid powertrain, but that some hybrid engine technologies developed by Ford independently were found to be similar to technologies previously patented by Toyota, so licenses were obtained.[10] Aisin Seiki Co. Ltd., a Japanese automotive components supplier belonging to the Toyota Group, supplies the hybrid continuously variable transmission for the Escape Hybrid. While Toyota produces its third-generation Prius transmission in-house, Aisin is the only supplier of hybrid transmissions to other manufacturers. Friction has arisen concerning Aisin's allocation of limited production capacity and engineering resources to Ford.[10]

Sanyo Electric Co., which first produced hybrid car batteries in a joint venture with Honda,[11] built the 50 kg (110 lb),330V[12] 5.5 Ah (would make it 1.8kWh storage) , 250-cell nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery pack for the 2005 Escape Hybrid.[13]
Ford Escape Hybrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thats just one vehicle, the fact is wv, that "green jobs" are an illusion and yes they do exist today and will continue to exist by the companies that supply this technology. I submit that we as a nation have the capability to create "green jobs" or jobs in general if the environmental lobby would stop using the Global Warming scare a source to gen up business for the environmental business and make no mistake its a business. Here is an example, the recent Energy policy of the Obama Administration focused on everything but nuclear, which is basically the only homegrown technology we have that is green. All the rest solar, wind, maybe with the exception of biomass which is non sustainable technology will result in jobs elsewhere and not here. Nuclear Power construction alone would create thousands of new jobs and if there is an issue of storage of waste compare that to the following. with wind you have land issues in order to generate the same amount of electricity a nuclear plant does you need many many times the land space and the power is not steady and the technology is imported. Same goes with solar. Clean Coal you have a storage issue worse than nuclear. So yes my friend the green issue is a business issue and nothing more, and depending on which side you happen to represent here is where your business interests lay. The problem is the rest of is all sort of are stuck in the middle of all this.

Heres the problem with that wv, it all boils down to costs and research. If the US can produce a better product for less money that the market will buy then great. However, what I am telling you is that all these so called "green jobs" are already in play and there are NOT here. The US is is consuming these technologies yes, but as a producer we lag behind in almost every catagory and I'm not just talking about a little I'm talking about a LOT. Want an example, where do you think most of the hybrid engine technology comes from foreign sources want an example,

The Escape Hybrid uses technology similar to that used in Toyota's Prius. Ford engineers realized their technology may conflict with patents held by Toyota, which led to a 2004 patent-sharing accord between the companies, licensing Ford's use of some of Toyota's hybrid technology[9] in exchange for Toyota's use of some of Ford's diesel and direct-injection engine technology.[10] Ford maintains that Ford received no technical assistance from Toyota in developing the hybrid powertrain, but that some hybrid engine technologies developed by Ford independently were found to be similar to technologies previously patented by Toyota, so licenses were obtained.[10] Aisin Seiki Co. Ltd., a Japanese automotive components supplier belonging to the Toyota Group, supplies the hybrid continuously variable transmission for the Escape Hybrid. While Toyota produces its third-generation Prius transmission in-house, Aisin is the only supplier of hybrid transmissions to other manufacturers. Friction has arisen concerning Aisin's allocation of limited production capacity and engineering resources to Ford.[10]

Sanyo Electric Co., which first produced hybrid car batteries in a joint venture with Honda,[11] built the 50 kg (110 lb),330V[12] 5.5 Ah (would make it 1.8kWh storage) , 250-cell nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery pack for the 2005 Escape Hybrid.[13]
Ford Escape Hybrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thats just one vehicle, the fact is wv, that "green jobs" are an illusion and yes they do exist today and will continue to exist by the companies that supply this technology. I submit that we as a nation have the capability to create "green jobs" or jobs in general if the environmental lobby would stop using the Global Warming scare a source to gen up business for the environmental business and make no mistake its a business. Here is an example, the recent Energy policy of the Obama Administration focused on everything but nuclear, which is basically the only homegrown technology we have that is green. All the rest solar, wind, maybe with the exception of biomass which is non sustainable technology will result in jobs elsewhere and not here. Nuclear Power construction alone would create thousands of new jobs and if there is an issue of storage of waste compare that to the following. with wind you have land issues in order to generate the same amount of electricity a nuclear plant does you need many many times the land space and the power is not steady and the technology is imported. Same goes with solar. Clean Coal you have a storage issue worse than nuclear. So yes my friend the green issue is a business issue and nothing more, and depending on which side you happen to represent here is where your business interests lay. The problem is the rest of is all sort of are stuck in the middle of all this.

Great post.

And I completely agree that this country MUST grow up and get over its Silkwood-inspired obsession against nuclear energy. A potentially vast energy source that is CO2-friendly, that would greatly diminish our independence on foreign oil.

Windmills and such - c'mon now.

Fast-track nuclear plants.

Sinatra do you know whats really interesting here, no one ever speaks of the massive amout of land usage a wind farm takes up or solar farm. However mention an oil pipline which takes up 1/100th of that amount of land and you have an environmental lobby freenzy. The fact is I know these people for the frauds they are, their purpose is not to save the planet at all, it's busniess. and nothing more. Nuclear power is safe , it's abundant and is homegrown and would employ many many people. Heres a little food for thought, how many nuclear plants could we have built with the last round of so called stimulus money? Still further how much direct impact would that have had on the economy in the form of jobs, etc etc. See what I mean? No its broken down like this, environmental lobbys exist to stop technologies that they deem unfriendly in order to fast track ones they do. The funny thing is the ones they do have literally nothing to do with saving the environment and more to do with whos business adventure it happens to support. As I stated above all the so called "green jobs" that was a campaign ploy to get suffering people in states like MI. and Ohio's vote. I wonder how many former auto workers a solar farm will employ?

Sinatra do you know whats really interesting here, no one ever speaks of the massive amout of land usage a wind farm takes up or solar farm. However mention an oil pipline which takes up 1/100th of that amount of land and you have an environmental lobby freenzy. The fact is I know these people for the frauds they are, their purpose is not to save the planet at all, it's busniess. and nothing more. Nuclear power is safe , it's abundant and is homegrown and would employ many many people. Heres a little food for thought, how many nuclear plants could we have built with the last round of so called stimulus money? Still further how much direct impact would that have had on the economy in the form of jobs, etc etc. See what I mean? No its broken down like this, environmental lobbys exist to stop technologies that they deem unfriendly in order to fast track ones they do. The funny thing is the ones they do have literally nothing to do with saving the environment and more to do with whos business adventure it happens to support. As I stated above all the so called "green jobs" that was a campaign ploy to get suffering people in states like MI. and Ohio's vote. I wonder how many former auto workers a solar farm will employ?

Once again - totally agree.

The stimulus was a trillion dollar grow government fraud.

And I know well the lying nature of the so-called environmental lobbies.

Hell, Al Gore has spent the last decade helping create a belief that we are at a crisis in climate, and all the while, setting up the very companies that will earn billions in revenue off of cap n trade - and the enviros shrug and say, "He deserves to make money, don't he?" But an oil rig company making money - well hell no, they are evil destroyers of the planet. And nuclear energy is not a real option because they saw a movie about it in the early 80's, or their nitwit science teacher in high school showed a picture of Chernobyl.

America has grown weak and lazy - intellectualism and free thought have long taken backseats to moral convenience and group-think.

BAH!!!

Forum List

Back