The brains of people who speak this whistle language of Northern Turkey do something very surprising

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I bet none of us have ever heard of this language.

The brains of people who speak this whistle language of Northern Turkey do something very surprising

• Aug. 18, 2015, 5:05 PM

97125_web.jpg
Onur GüntürkünThis picture shows a person whistling in the Turkish style.

Nestled deep in the mountains of north-east Turkey, harmonious echoes fill the air as a group of people whistle to each other across deep valleys and long distances to communicate.

Locals call this method of speech "bird language" because it sounds more like birds chirping than humans sending their regards or inviting each other to dinner.

And, according to a recent report, the people who speak this musical language are using their entire brain while whistling instead of only the left hemisphere, which contradicts the common notion that language is dominated by the left half of our brains.

"Bird language" can be heard from over 3 miles away — according to New Scientist where we first learned about the language — which was a handy way of long-distance communication before the age of phones and computers.

Scientists have known for years that the left half of our brains are responsible for speech and understanding language whereas the right brain dominates how we process music, pitch, and tone.

So, which part of the brain would control a language based on music, wondered Onur Güntürkün of Ruhr-University Bochum in Germany.

To find out, Güntürkün and his colleagues studied 31 volunteers who lived in a small, mountain town called Kuşköy. All of the volunteers were fluent in Turkish whistling and the native spoken language, Turkish.

Testing the organization of the human brain
Each whistler completed a psychological listening test: While wearing headphones, they sometimes heard the same syllable in both ears while other times they heard one syllable in one ear and a different syllable in the other. The test sometimes played spoken Turkish and other times Turkish whistling, though only one type of language was played at a single time.

During each test, the listeners were asked to identify which syllable they had heard. Here's one of the volunteers in the middle of a test:

97124_web.jpg
Onur Güntürkün

Because the left half of our brain processes information that goes in our right ear and our right brain processes from the left ear, the researchers could determine which part of the brain was more active during the test by which syllable the listeners identified when the two sounds didn't match up.

Read more:

Ancient whistle language uses the whole brain - Business Insider

This is fascinating stuff. Thank you for bringing it in. An oasis OP in what is otherwise a garbage dump of new threads.

I don't think it's a "common notion" that the left hemisphere dominates speech. It may dominate words, but it can't handle words in action. The left brain may be able to identify a "pineapple" but without the right side, would have no idea what it's for.

I have a fascinating book on all of this, "The Master and his Emissary" by Ian Gilchrist. It's great stuff.

This is fascinating stuff. Thank you for bringing it in. An oasis OP in what is otherwise a garbage dump of new threads.

I don't think it's a "common notion" that the left hemisphere dominates speech. It may dominate words, but it can't handle words in action.

I have a fascinating book on all of this, "The Master and his Emissary" by Ian Gilchrist. It's great stuff.

Language capacity is replicated throughout the brain. A lot of the left/right brain stuff arose in the 1970's and 1980's.....primarily from experiments done with folks who had their corpus callosum surgically separated due to massive grand mal seizures.

The test results were frankly misinterpreted. Communication between the hemispheres happens through the corpus callosum.....but language processing occurs throughout the brain. Some areas, such as the temporal lobe seem to have more to do with actual speech than the rest of the brain....but who knows?

Our understanding of the brain is really pretty limited.

Video demonstrating how it works, from the link:

I take it this is a tonal conversion, where the normally expected intonational inflections that make up any language carry the whole message. We all "sing" a bit in our speech as part of the communication therein. Take the tonal parts alone (without the consonants) and you can project over a longer distance.

West African talking drums do the same thing:

When I was a wee sprout I had a shortwave radio hobby, scanning the dial far into the night for the exotic voices around the world. Some of these far-flung signals would be too weak or buried under noise to distinguish the words, but the intonation got through where the consonants didn't. So I learned to distinguish what language I was hearing since musically, French has its own "song", quite different from that of Russian, or anything else.

Last edited:

I don't think it's a "common notion" that the left hemisphere dominates speech. It may dominate words, but it can't handle words in action.

Language capacity is replicated throughout the brain. A lot of the left/right brain stuff arose in the 1970's and 1980's.....primarily from experiments done with folks who had their corpus callosum surgically separated due to massive grand mal seizures.

The test results were frankly misinterpreted. Communication between the hemispheres happens through the corpus callosum.....but language processing occurs throughout the brain. Some areas, such as the temporal lobe seem to have more to do with actual speech than the rest of the brain....but who knows?

Our understanding of the brain is really pretty limited.

your information is far far more limited than is the actual current understanding of neurophysiology-----you claim that people who have had their corpus callosums cut is the basis for some sort of fad in understanding the neurophysiology of speech is sheer bullshit

Forum List

Back