The benefits of colonialism.

Where would Iraq be if you limey assholes didn't force 3 kinds of people who hate each other to live to live under repressive totalitarian governments?

Seriously...

Why are you still stealing our oxygen?

??? How is it that the OP entreats for a discussion about colonialism and two of the first four (non-OP) comments are focused on Brits. Colonialism was and is bigger than the Brits.

One person has tried to "open the door" to the race angle, which, however, apropos that may or may not be, has no place until and unless colonialism itself, which is a political thing, is addressed and then connected to one or several existentially social/cultural trends.

Good luck, OP-er, getting a coherent discussion going.

Last edited:
??? How is it that the OP entreats for a discussion about colonialism and two of the first four (non-OP) comments are focused on Brits. Colonialism was bigger than the Brits.

One person has tried to "open the door" to the race angle, which, however, apropos that may or may not be, has no place until and unless colonialism itself, which is a political thing, is addressed and then connected to one or several existentially social/cultural trends.

Thought it might be safe out here in Asia. I did not know any of the things the politician was talking about. But it does back up what we pretty much know. Colonialism has nothing to do with civilising or raising standards of living or education.
200 years ago the Brits exploited Africa and India for their natural resources and today the super powers do the same in the middle east.
If ice had a price the Eskimos would be fucked.

??? How is it that the OP entreats for a discussion about colonialism and two of the first four (non-OP) comments are focused on Brits. Colonialism was bigger than the Brits.

WTF are you babbling about bed wetter? Was there a bigger colonialist entity than the fucking brits? Were not all of the other euroweenie powers not working to compete with the brits for global dominance? After the Spanish Armada was destroyed the brits had free reign in the oceans and exploited every square inch of the world they could put boots on. Are you jealous all your pseudo intellectual threads are train wrecks?

Trust me, you are just as stupid as the OP, if not more so.

??? How is it that the OP entreats for a discussion about colonialism and two of the first four (non-OP) comments are focused on Brits. Colonialism was and is bigger than the Brits.

The poor Brits can't catch a break, except they did heinous crimes, and pretty much hid it from the World, unlike Germans who couldn't hide it.

Thought it might be safe out here in Asia. I did not know any of the things the politician was talking about. But it does back up what we pretty much know. Colonialism has nothing to do with civilising or raising standards of living or education.
200 years ago the Brits exploited Africa and India for their natural resources and today the super powers do the same in the middle east.

You may find the following useful:

LOL

LOL

Does anyone have time to summarize this leftist bullshit?

Not long ago the left excoriated "imperialism and colonialism". It was "capitalist exploitation"

Now they're making an argument that authoritarian government better shaped development of countries they exploited?

We have always been at war with Eurasia huh?

The poor Brits can't catch a break, except they did heinous crimes, and pretty much hid it from the World, unlike Germans who couldn't hide it.

LOL

Not long ago the left excoriated "imperialism and colonialism". It was "capitalist exploitation"

Now they're making an argument that authoritarian government better shaped development of countries they exploited?

Germans who couldn't hide it.
??? What? Who but students of German history can even name a German colonial nation? I'd be shocked if most people in the U.S. even think of Germany as a colonial nation. Hell, who can name a German ship that predates WWII? Germany didn't have to hide its colonialism; it didn't have enough of it to attract notice of most people born after WWI.

Looking at the map below, I suspect most members here have no idea what are the names of the German colonial countries highlighted, to say nothing of what political, cultural, economic or social impacts Germany had on those nations/regions and those impacts were similar to and different from French, English, and Dutch colonial impacts on other nations.

1280px-German_colonial.PNG

The fact that Germany wasn't a huge colonizer has nothing to do with what colonialism is or was and what impacts it had. After all, there's colonialism and there's each European colonial power's implementation of colonialism.

AFAIK, the OP entreats to discuss colonialism, not any specific nation's implementation of it. The OP does use an example drawn from India under British colonial rule as a foil for, not focus of, the discussion. I suspect the OP-er chose that, at least in part, because it's not hard to find such content. That's a thing of convenience, but that's it.

LOL

Insofar as you're "walking in the door" having to ask that question, you'd do well to read some of those documents rather spend your time complaining about someone else's contributions to the discussion.

I think that "Nambia" was a German colony.
But you are correct. None of the European countries covered themselves in glory during their colonising years.

Insofar as you're "walking in the door" having to ask that question, you'd do well to read some of those documents rather spend your time complaining about someone else's contributions to the discussion.

That was a "contribution"?

I'd call it
advocation of tyranny.

Do you believe every free individual should be able to own a firearm in defense of themselves against someone who sought to take their property against the will of said individual for the benefit of a "state"?

I'd call it
advocation of tyranny.

Do you believe every free individual should be able to own a firearm in defense of themselves against someone who sought to take their property against the will of said individual for the benefit of a "state"?
You have made several "contributions" to this thread. None of them relevant to the OP. I am thinking that you are drunk.

I'd call it
advocation of tyranny.

OT:
You need to do one of two things:
  • Create a thread in Politics, the CDZ, Current Events or the SDF where the question posed above is the thread's rubric and use the "call" feature to let me know of your having done so, and I'll answer the question above.
  • Credibly and cogently connect the subject and theme of your question above with this thread's topic -- colonialism -- and I'll answer it.
What I'm not going to do is contribute to derailing this thread by in it engaging in a discussion about guns and/or gun rights.

I'd call it
advocation of tyranny.

OT:
You need to do one of two things:
  • Create a thread in Politics, the CDZ, Current Events or the SDF where the question posed above is the thread's rubric and use the "call" feature to let me know of your having done so, and I'll answer the question above.
  • Credibly and cogently connect the subject and theme of your question above with this thread's topic -- colonialism -- and I'll answer it.
What I'm not going to do is contribute to derailing this thread by in it engaging in a discussion about guns and/or gun rights.

I'm not really interested in having smoke blown up my ass by some pseudo-intellectual bed wetter.

Forum List

Back