The bathroom mirror

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
"Will anyone notice or care when I die?"

Other than neighbors' kids noticing the curious lack of cookies on Friday, probably not. A neighbor did mention the week I was sick after Thanksgiving and opted to skip goodies that week just in case I was contagious.

I think we too often convince ourselves we'll live forever and so do many things indicative of that. We treat our fellows half as well as we should, and perhaps would if our mortality were more in the fore of our thoughts than the rear. So I think it's useful to ask ourselves if our death will matter to anyone beyond our family, relatives, and neighbors.

World keeps spinning no matter who dies. If you're super famous or important history might remember you, but other than that your life didn't make so much as a dimple on the surface of a still pond when you ate it. Consider that as you go through the motions waiting to die. As it seems most of us do. Does the world really need you as whatever job you're doing? Or is your job mostly about making someone else more money? Did parties scramble back to the negotiating table when you valiantly sacrificed yourself in battle or did your heroic deed go unnoticed? I often think about the landings at Normandy in WW2 when wave after wave of humanity got off landing craft and were dead a couple seconds later. That's how it is for soldier and civilian alike. When we die, it doesn't change a thing.

Other than neighbors' kids noticing the curious lack of cookies on Friday, probably not. A neighbor did mention the week I was sick after Thanksgiving and opted to skip goodies that week just in case I was contagious.

I think we too often convince ourselves we'll live forever and so do many things indicative of that. We treat our fellows half as well as we should, and perhaps would if our mortality were more in the fore of our thoughts than the rear. So I think it's useful to ask ourselves if our death will matter to anyone beyond our family, relatives, and neighbors.

World keeps spinning no matter who dies. If you're super famous or important history might remember you, but other than that your life didn't make so much as a dimple on the surface of a still pond when you ate it. Consider that as you go through the motions waiting to die. As it seems most of us do. Does the world really need you as whatever job you're doing? Or is your job mostly about making someone else more money? Did parties scramble back to the negotiating table when you valiantly sacrificed yourself in battle or did your heroic deed go unnoticed? I often think about the landings at Normandy in WW2 when wave after wave of humanity got off landing craft and were dead a couple seconds later. That's how it is for soldier and civilian alike. When we die, it doesn't change a thing.
I would….

It doesn't matter. Not fot me, nor for you, not for anybody.
It's irrelevant.

Says:
2xcluster.jpg

I think this is a reason why a lot of people find religion so important. There is the promise of an "afterlife" and all that glory in Heaven, etc.

Forum List

Back