The Art of War - Weapons, Tactics, Strategy, Etc.

A first-in-class US Navy supercarrier is about to set sail on its maiden deployment for the first time in over 40 years​

AAXaBrJ.img

The Weird Trick That Lets Amateurs Detect Warships at Sea​

You definitely shouldn’t be able to do this—but you can.
A European satellite designed to collect Earth sciences data and distribute it freely to people around the world has the unintended consequence of detecting military radars. Whoops.

The European Space Agency's (ESA) Sentinel-1 satellite uses a synthetic aperture radar designed to image Earth’s surface, but it’s also canceled out by other radars operating on similar frequencies—including those on warships at sea.

The ESA operates two Sentinel-1 satellites. Parked at an altitude of 700 kilometers (434 miles), both sats are equipped with a C-band synthetic aperture radar, a type of radar designed to form a picture of the ground, using radar instead of light beams. The radars image approximately 700 kilometers at a time.

As the radar travels through the air, space, or on the ground, it's able to render a picture of the area being radiated, even creating 3D images.

ESA created the Sentinel-1 satellites for the public good, with all data being released for analysis within hours of collection. The satellites are considered useful for following oil spills, monitoring the health of forests and agriculture, and tracking natural disasters like flooding, fires, and earthquakes.

But the satellites’ C-band ultra-high-frequency radar has an unusual drawback: it’s effectively blinded by other radars that also operate in the C-band. That interference shows up in the Sentinel-1 data, which can be interpolated into satellite imagery. Previously, Sentinel-1 revealed Patriot missile radars operating in Israel.

Ho Chi Bear and the Ravens​

Dubbed the Ravens, misfit American pilots in Vietnam learned they could fly, fight, and drink as they pleased in a CIA-sponsored secret war. Just one catch: They answered to General Vang Pao.​

The Weird Trick That Lets Amateurs Detect Warships at Sea​

You definitely shouldn’t be able to do this—but you can.​

...​

A European satellite designed to collect Earth sciences data and distribute it freely to people around the world has the unintended consequence of detecting military radars. Whoops.​

The European Space Agency's (ESA) Sentinel-1 satellite uses a synthetic aperture radar designed to image Earth’s surface, but it’s also canceled out by other radars operating on similar frequencies—including those on warships at sea.​

The ESA operates two Sentinel-1 satellites. Parked at an altitude of 700 kilometers (434 miles), both sats are equipped with a C-band synthetic aperture radar, a type of radar designed to form a picture of the ground, using radar instead of light beams. The radars image approximately 700 kilometers at a time.​

As the radar travels through the air, space, or on the ground, it's able to render a picture of the area being radiated, even creating 3D images.​

ESA created the Sentinel-1 satellites for the public good, with all data being released for analysis within hours of collection. The satellites are considered useful for following oil spills, monitoring the health of forests and agriculture, and tracking natural disasters like flooding, fires, and earthquakes.​

But the satellites’ C-band ultra-high-frequency radar has an unusual drawback: it’s effectively blinded by other radars that also operate in the C-band. That interference shows up in the Sentinel-1 data, which can be interpolated into satellite imagery. Previously, Sentinel-1 revealed Patriot missile radars operating in Israel.​

...​

How well do they detect these radars when they are turned off?

You obviously have never heard of EMCON.

To be honest, I largely laugh at all of these postings.

They are almost all the lowest rung of the click-bait ladder.

Especially the first one. I read though all of them, and simply marveled at many of their choices, and at many that were left out altogether.

Like going on about the chariot, or the bayonet. But no mention of canning or the stirrup or horse collar?

You obviously have never heard of EMCON.
Your question in #24 was either rhetorical, or stupid. Or an attempt to be disingenuous or display hubris.

Since you'd rather show off than inform, for the sake of any readers wondering what you are rattling about;
In telecommunications, radio silence or Emissions Control (EMCON) is a status in which all fixed or mobile radio stations in an area are asked to stop transmitting for safety or security reasons.

The term "radio station" may include anything capable of transmitting a radio signal. A single ship, aircraft, spacecraft, or group of them may also maintain radio silence.

To be honest, I largely laugh at all of these postings.

They are almost all the lowest rung of the click-bait ladder.

Especially the first one. I read though all of them, and simply marveled at many of their choices, and at many that were left out altogether.

Like going on about the chariot, or the bayonet. But no mention of canning or the stirrup or horse collar?
Which means you'd have an opportunity to enlighten us all rather than thump your chest that's puffed with hubris.

The thread allows for an eclectic range of input, and any could add what they think would be improved data, viewpoints or information, etc.

One between the lines clue here is how the focus on journalism courses, schooling, and degrees in recent decades has neglected inclusion of more informed knowledge and background on the subjects that "journalists" write about, or that editors will present.

Your question in #24 was either rhetorical, or stupid. Or an attempt to be disingenuous or display hubris.

Since you'd rather show off than inform, for the sake of any readers wondering what you are rattling about;
In telecommunications, radio silence or Emissions Control (EMCON) is a status in which all fixed or mobile radio stations in an area are asked to stop transmitting for safety or security reasons.

The term "radio station" may include anything capable of transmitting a radio signal. A single ship, aircraft, spacecraft, or group of them may also maintain radio silence.
I am sorry, but anyone who knows what a synthetic aperture radar is, would be familiar with EMCON. We have used this technology since the 1980s.

The thread allows for an eclectic range of input, and any could add what they think would be improved data, viewpoints or information, etc.

No, I would rather simply laugh at your posting dumps of click-bait sites.

As I said, reading through just a few of them I felt my IQ drop, as I always do when reading click-bait sites.

After all, everybody should know that "24/7 Wall Street" is such a widely respected source of expert information on the military.

:D

The point is that they cannot be detected when turned off. DUH!
And if you read the full article linked, not just the excerpt I presented you would have seen that neither the article nor I claimed this would work if the radars are turned off~not radiating. (See last paragraph in the article)

What is of interest is the use of civilian tech to do what has been military tech abilities.

DUH!

Yes, there is a useful book by that name and will look at it in a later post. For now, the focus is on "Tools of the Trade", or TradeCraft. Devices, knowledge, skills, methods etc. for conducting war and hopefully winning at it.

As an example and starter, this slide show linkage;

30 Inventions That Shaped Military History​

While humans have been fighting one another since as long as they’ve been humans, modern warfare began only about 5,000 years ago, during the age of chariots - antiquity’s version of the modern tank.

Chariots could only have been invented in ancient societies with governments and bureaucracies capable of developing and building them by the hundreds, as well as recruiting and training the soldiers that rode them into battle.

The chariot is the earliest example of how new military technology can upend previous methods of warfare. History is filled with such inventions or developments - innovations that changed the way wars are fought.

To identify 30 inventions that revolutionized combat, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed independent research from a variety of sources. These inventions were not always initially meant to be used in warfare, but when the technology was repurposed for military use, the technology forever changed the way wars were fought.
None of the above.
All you need is a way to make idiots wave flags and chant while you rape them of their childrens future.
I call it "the art of the steal"

No, I would rather simply laugh at your posting dumps of click-bait sites.

As I said, reading through just a few of them I felt my IQ drop, as I always do when reading click-bait sites.

After all, everybody should know that "24/7 Wall Street" is such a widely respected source of expert information on the military.

:D
I didn't know IQs could go into the negative range. Sorry about your drop.

In regards to the recent article/link presented, which 'admiral rockhead' misunderstands, the source is "Popular Mechanics".

However, embedded within that article is mention they are using and abbreviating from "Naval News" whose article goes into more detail;

I'll spare providing copy-paste excerpts just to see if either of you can read and comprehend that source as well.

Meanwhile, you both flunk at filling a G2/S2 Staff slot.

BTW, you could post here something you think will meet your standards. Note that not "everybody" is anywhere near knowledgeable on military matters, as shown oft on this board.

In regards to the recent article/link presented, which 'admiral rockhead' misunderstands, the source is "Popular Mechanics".

Oh yes, another well known source for military information.

e0ac48f46d25848be2960a6d0bbdf758--popular-mechanics-war-machine.jpg

And just because you post one article out of dozens of garbage ones, that does nothing to change that this thread is primarily bad click bait sources.

And as I said, I have no interest in adding to a thread that is mostly idiot fodder for civilians.

Oh, and in case you do not recognize what the image on the cover above actually is, it is a portable electronic acoustic mirror. I am not aware of the US ever actually using them at all, but I know that the Brits invested heavily into permanent acoustic mirror installations all over England during and especially after the First World War.

Now that is a REAL military technology that had a major impact in war. The UK built dozens of these before and during the war, and they had a major impact as they were completely undetectable to the incoming aircraft. The RADAR stations set up were often targets of the Germans as they could triangulate their positions by their emissions, and required a lot of maintenance. Where as these simple systems were just as effective, and the Germans had no idea they were being tracked until a squadron of interceptors pounced on them.

Forum List

Back