The Arctic is already effectively ice free

Did anyone here actually read the OP's article? It seems not. The phrase "effectively ice-free" refers to thin, fractured ice being judged solid ice cover from a satellite's perspective. Such ice allows for the movement of vessels and responds quite differently to winds and sea currents. The article is NOT suggesting that the Arctic is actually ice free in summer. 22 pages in and the central argument of the OP doesn't seem to have been seen by anyone.

Thin fractured ice eh?? How THICK is "multi-year" arctic sea ice?? Say 5 yr ice or 10 yr ice?
Then compare that to the WestAntarcticIceSheets that spill off the coast there....

Since Crick seems to have lost interest in what his OP means.....

Average Arctic ice thickness in 1980 was somewhere near 2.4 meters. It is now about 1.9 meters.

What exactly does this mean if it only takes 2 or 4 years to make 4 meter thick ice??

How likely do you think it to be that conditions over the next 4 years will such as to produce increasing amount of multiyear ice? What do you think the record-breaking el Nino's effect on global SSTs will be? You've seen the PIOMAS data. Do you actually see any indication of an increasing TREND there?

How likely do you think it to be that conditions over the next 4 years will such as to produce increasing amount of multiyear ice? What do you think the record-breaking el Nino's effect on global SSTs will be? You've seen the PIOMAS data. Do you actually see any indication of an increasing TREND there?
Yea I do, I think the first alarmist climatologist got it right in the 70s with the 2nd Ice age cometh. They're at least closer, we have been getting a lot more snow

It's like the drought in Cali.. You can dry the state completely up and one years SUPER El Nino rainstorms are gonna fix it. In fact -- more damage will be done from the floods and the muds to follow the rain..

If ALL the multi-year Arctic ice disappeared, it could come back thicker and stronger in the span of a decade. You are not losing a 500,000 year accumulation like in the 100s of meters thick Antarctic shelf.

You are panicking over a 30 year chart.. I've got freckles older than that..

What El Niño?

It's like the drought in Cali.. You can dry the state completely up and one years SUPER El Nino rainstorms are gonna fix it. In fact -- more damage will be done from the floods and the muds to follow the rain..

If ALL the multi-year Arctic ice disappeared, it could come back thicker and stronger in the span of a decade. You are not losing a 500,000 year accumulation like in the 100s of meters thick Antarctic shelf.

It is possible to be seriously concerned without entering a state of panic.

The Earth has been warming for the last 150 years and it is going to continue to warm for at least another century. The Arctic ice cap is going to disappear DUE to that warming. That loss of albedo will enhance the warming. That it could refreeze in a decade is nothing but wishful thinking. I'm terribly sorry, but I do not generally comfort myself with wishful thinking.

The Earth has been warming for the last 150 years and it is going to continue to warm for at least another century. The Arctic ice cap is going to disappear DUE to that warming. That loss of albedo will enhance the warming. That it could refreeze in a decade is nothing but wishful thinking. I'm terribly sorry, but I do not generally comfort myself with wishful thinking.

I suggest you take some time and get a room on Cruise Ship bound to Alaska. You won't even make it to North Pole. But you need some tactile and sensory reassurance that it is STILL very white and cold up there all year round..

Gee whiz.. Cold water soaks up a hugely larger burden of CO2 from the atmos.. No ice, MASSIVE carbon sink..
Life ain't all bad.. Better than planting that acreage in trees -- I'd wager...

Wow dude, you're psychic. All these things in the future you know. You must have a time machine.

Forum List

Back