The Appalling, Perplexing, Paradoxcial, and Puzzling Quickie Thread

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
In this political season that is unlike any political season I've experienced in my lifetime, I occasionally run across little blurbs in the newspaper or hear good one-liners on TV or receive something in e-mail that makes me go hmmmm - or - unbelievable!!! - or - ARRRRGHH!!!! - or some such.

But these items probably wouldn't generate enough discussion to merit their own thread. So I propose this thread as the dumping ground for such bits of world, national, political, government, or outrageous trivia that we run across.

I'll include a sample or two of some of the stuff I'm thinking about in my next post.

I know this one is old, But I still can not get over. "We have to pass the bill to see whats in the bill" :)

or another great, "Unemployment benefits are the best job creator" hehe

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".~ Ben Stein

*******************************************​

From the cartoon character, Maxine:

"Let me get this straight. We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't,

written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that hasn't read it but exempts themselves from it,

to be signed by a president who also smokes,

with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese,

and financed by a country that's broke.

What the hell could possibly go wrong?"

In today's e-mail, source unknown:

Phoenix, AZ (AP) - Thousands of illegal immigrants are showing their outrage with Arizona 's controversial new SB-1070 law by boycotting the state and moving elsewhere.

One example of those who are punishing the state by leaving is illegal immigrant Manuel Renaldo. As he loaded his stolen car with his family of twelve's belongings, Renaldo told this reporter through an interpreter, "It's a matter of principle, 'homes.' I refuse to be supported by someplace that treats me like a criminal."

The effects of the exodus are being felt by Arizona retailers who report dwindling beer, spray paint, and ammunition sales. Also hit hard are Arizona hospitals, who have reported a dramatic decline in births and emergency room visits by illegal aliens. "We're ecstatic," said one administrator for Banner Health in Phoenix. "At this rate we may see a profit one day."

The boycott/exodus of Arizona by illegals is expected to grow exponentially leading up to the law's starting date.

And before I head out to bed tonight, I would mention that New Mexico is at or near the top in no good national statistics and we are at or near the top in a whole lot of negative ones. One thing is that jobs continue to exit the state in staggering numbers while our poverty rate climbs. One in seven New Mexicans is currently under the poverty line.

So of course I was thrilled to read in today's paper that of the stimulus money allocated to New Mexico, our esteemed governor is going to allocated more than $100,000 to establish a wild horse preserve in Northern New Mexico and another $58,000 for a wild horse sterilization project.

Most of the money we got is now allocated. How many new jobs did it create? Depends on who you ask, but at least 10. None of them are permanent but hey, a job counted is a job counted.

So.....ARRRRRGH!!!!!!

Okay, this one I just got. I doubt seriously it is the real deal, but it should be. :)

(And Charles Main, you'll note it has your line in it. :))

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOfGMmULEOw]YouTube - I want your money trailer.flv[/ame]

QUESTION: How many of you saw this on the front page of your daily newspaper? Or heard it on the evening news of your local TV station? Or even heard it reported on your ABC or CBS radio affiliiate?

I'm guessing darn few if any of you.

How many of you think it would have probably been there is this guy had been a white man affiliated with a fundamentalist Christian Church and protesting somebody's position on gay rights or abortion or some such as that?

Chicago Man Charged in Plot to Set Off Bomb Near Cubs' Wrigley Field Home
By Andrew M. Harris
Sep 20, 2010 4:32 PM MT

A 22-year-old Chicago man angry with the city’s mayor was charged by federal prosecutors with plotting to detonate a bomb near Wrigley Field, home to the Chicago Cubs Major League Baseball team.

Sami Samir Hassoun, who also discussed an assassination attempt on Mayor Richard M. Daley according to prosecutors, was arrested yesterday by members of the Chicago-area Joint Terrorism Task Force.

“He wanted to transform the City of Chicago. He wanted to make a statement,” Robert Grant, special agent in charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Chicago office, told reporters after Hassoun appeared before a federal magistrate today. He intended to “kill as many people as he could” by planting the explosive in a neighborhood full of bars, clubs and restaurants, Grant said. . . .

Chicago Man Charged in Plot to Set Off Bomb Near Cubs' Wrigley Field Home - Bloomberg

Forum List

Back