The Angels Want To Wear My Red Muons

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
the particles known as muons

Life and existence will be explained---and not by any church or spiritual dogma.

Bad news believers. :lol:

Joe Lykken, a theorist at Fermilab, said, “So I would not say that this announcement is the equivalent of seeing the face of God, but it might turn out to be the toe of God.”
I think Joe is seeing the toe of an Angel wearing a Red Shod Muon, not god. :eek:

the presumption that science and spirituality are mutually exclusive is very limiting, imo.

nothing really wrong with science and spirituality per se...but imnsho it becomes a problem when that good old time religion enters the picture. :lol:

there is religion and then there is religion.

the presumption that science and spirituality are mutually exclusive is very limiting, imo.

nothing really wrong with science and spirituality per se...but imnsho it becomes a problem when that good old time religion enters the picture. :lol:

well, we agree there. there isn't much spirituality in many religions after the people running them get finished.

I agree. I think the descriptions given in A Brief History of Time can easily be reconciled with scripture if one doesn't believe that the earth is 6,000 years old.

yeah, there's a maker who is worried about how human beings behave. It's a man and he's waiting to punish bad little boys and girls for acting like---uhm---human beings.

---

seriously, there have been religious scientists who did not allow their faith to interfere with scientific observations, and then there were those who held mankind back. there are scientists who have been non believers and IO have yet to hear a case of one who held back science because it challenged his/her beliefs.

A designer, a creator, a mortal sin maker...

...not very probable.

well, we agree there. there isn't much spirituality in many religions after the people running them get finished.

I have become a non believer who believes (LOL) in maybe inventing my own symbols and myths to feed my human condition. The condition is fatal, but I am at peace with IT. :eusa_whistle:

note: too much Joseph Campbell

Last edited:

I agree. I think the descriptions given in A Brief History of Time can easily be reconciled with scripture if one doesn't believe that the earth is 6,000 years old.

yeah, there's a maker who is worried about how human beings behave. It's a man and he's waiting to punish bad little boys and girls for acting like---uhm---human beings.

---

seriously, there have been religious scientists who did not allow their faith to interfere with scientific observations, and then there were those who held mankind back. there are scientists who have been non believers and IO have yet to hear a case of one who held back science because it challenged his/her beliefs.

...not very probable.

i think a designer and a creator is as probable as anything else- a mortal sin maker? not so much

---

...not very probable.

i think a designer and a creator is as probable as anything else- a mortal sin maker? not so much

I think both are possible, but not probable...and that is what separates us.

---

...not very probable.

well that's not much in the scheme of things, is it? being as probable as anything else isn't that big a leap from possible not probable.

---

...not very probable.

I don't believe G-d is a man with a long beard sitting in a chair and judging. I do believe it may be the sum total of all the energy in the universe. If you look at the Kabala's descriptions, they believe there are 10 levels to reality... the first is what we see and we see it in a way that the limited human mind can understand it. The tenth level is something called the Ein Sof, or nothingness... which very much comports with the concept of Nirvana or one-ness.

None of that is precluded by a concept of the big bang or muons or any of the other means by which that energy asserts itself. I think the soul needs spirituality to feed it.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

well that's not much in the scheme of things, is it? being as probable as anything else isn't that big a leap from possible not probable.

Like most everyone in the world (in my not so humble opinion), I think we are incapable of grasping fully the arguments some of the greatest thinkers in mankind have grappled with. Science and wishful thinking do not mix well.

---

There seems to be an universal human desire to be in touch with a power greater than our mere beings. I do not think it is about god. I think it is about consciousness. We appear to need symbols and myths in order to function in or as a society. I think I read somewhere that societies that exhibit a societal crisis, and who along with a crisis end up losing their faith in their myths---and whose symbols no longer serve their primary function---end up perishing from the earth.
. . . . . /\

I didn't write that /\ well enough, but I think it will do (my mind is being pulled in another direction right now).

Last edited:

---

...not very probable.

I don't believe G-d is a man with a long beard sitting in a chair and judging. I do believe it may be the sum total of all the energy in the universe. If you look at the Kabala's descriptions, they believe there are 10 levels to reality... the first is what we see and we see it in a way that the limited human mind can understand it. The tenth level is something called the Ein Sof, or nothingness... which very much comports with the concept of Nirvana or one-ness.

None of that is precluded by a concept of the big bang or muons or any of the other means by which that energy asserts itself. I think the soul needs spirituality to feed it.

No disrespect meant, but I was into books like the Kabala, the Bible, the Book of the Dead, the Gnostic Bibles....and more, when I was younger and in search of something outside myself. They are all nothing but old guides from a more simpler time.

Energy as g-o-d is quaint. No less so than any other g-o-d. But where does religion fit in here? Are you a Sun Goddess? :cool:

---

...not very probable.

No disrespect meant, but I was into books like the Kabala, the Bible, the Book of the Dead, the Gnostic Bibles....and more, when I was younger and in search of something outside myself. They are all nothing but old guides from a more simpler time.

Energy as g-o-d is quaint. No less so than any other g-o-d. But where does religion fit in here? Are you a Sun Goddess? :cool:

I discovered kabala later and had a wonderful rabbi as teacher. I don't see it as dabbling and it's fairly consistent with what my view of the world was anyway. You know in Judaism, you're not even supposed to start to study kabala until you're 40.

As for the other things, I've read all of that, too. ;)

The energy thing is just my own facile explanation b/c i don't believe in G-d as man on throne.

I discovered kabala later and had a wonderful rabbi as teacher. I don't see it as dabbling and it's fairly consistent with what my view of the world was anyway. You know in Judaism, you're not even supposed to start to study kabala until you're 40.

As for the other things, I've read all of that, too. ;)

The energy thing is just my own facile explanation b/c i don't believe in G-d as man on throne.

I think all religions leave me having to suspend reality (whatever that is), so why not try and create one's own suspended belief system?

I wonder what you think the purpose of religion is.

i suppose it was a trifle sophomoric --- like pointing out spelling errors as a means of dodging questions.

more to the point of all those books viz personal enlightenment, it always seems to me that the books don't do squat for my understanding of my own spirit and the spirits of others i encounter as i stumble through life.

putting down the books and getting into a meditative state seems to be where i feel some understanding. blowing a flute for hours on end is probably cheating. i don't know.

Forum List

Back