The American left may agree with the action of obama

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
But the world is starting to question those actions.

Death of a terrorist and unanswered questions

Your correspondents have rightly been critical of the questionable legality of American action against Bin Laden and Nato attempts to assassinate Colonel Gaddafi (Osama bin Laden and wild-west justice, 3 May). Some 65 years ago US prosecutors and politicians led the way in rejecting the idea of simply identifying and then executing Nazi leaders when they fell into allied hands. Justice Robert Jackson insisted that if the western allies wanted to hold the moral high ground they had to be seen to behave differently from the defeated axis states. The Nuremberg trials gave an opportunity through due legal process for the victor states to demonstrate that the rule of law had to be applied even to the most lawless acts.

Letters: Death of a terrorist and unanswered questions | World news | The Guardian

3AC489978B91EB3B.gif

The US needs to provide a legal basis for this action or be held to account.

Monday morning quarterbacks. I agree, but really don't care

Your correspondents have rightly been critical of the questionable legality of American action against Bin Laden and Nato attempts to assassinate Colonel Gaddafi (Osama bin Laden and wild-west justice, 3 May). Some 65 years ago US prosecutors and politicians led the way in rejecting the idea of simply identifying and then executing Nazi leaders when they fell into allied hands. Justice Robert Jackson insisted that if the western allies wanted to hold the moral high ground they had to be seen to behave differently from the defeated axis states. The Nuremberg trials gave an opportunity through due legal process for the victor states to demonstrate that the rule of law had to be applied even to the most lawless acts.

Letters: Death of a terrorist and unanswered questions | World news | The Guardian

Just why should we care what these people's opinion is? As I recall, it was not THEIR nation Bin Laden attacked on 9/11. Now personally, I would have liked to see us parade Osama's head throught our streets, to send the ragheads a message as to how we felt watching them cheer and laugh at the news of 9/11; but absent that, we at least killed the SOB like we should have, and if anyone doesn't like that, and wants to know why, the answer is, because we are the one hyper-power on the planet, and we will damn well do as WE, not YOU, see fit. Everybody got the message, now?

The fact is, that we could, if we chose to do so, retaliate for 9/11 by essentially wiping Islam from the face of the earth; in fact, we have the capacity to do most of the job in a matter of hours, literally, were America so inclined. There have been throughout history many great powers, which, had they had such a capacity, would not have hesitated for one moment in using it. Given that, I think America has been rather restrained. Some of our critics, despite what they say, would NOT be so restrained themselves, were they in our place; you may be sure of that. I think therefore, that we should point this reality out to them, in detail so that they can comprehend it. We have confined the killing in this case to the stateless rogues responsible for the atrocity. If necessary, I say we pick one nation (Pakistan or Saudi Arabia) and demonstrate upon it our full capabilities, as a reminder of what we CAN do.. That should be sufficient to bring our critics to understand just how much say they do NOT have, in how we handle our affairs in war. If people are going to be jealous of and hateful toward you, it is far better, that they also must fear you.

Last edited:

Just why should we care what these people's opinion is? As I recall, it was not THEIR nation Bin Laden attacked on 9/11. Now personally, I would have liked to see us parade Osama's head throught our streets, to send the ragheads a message as to how we felt watching them cheer and laugh at the news of 9/11; but absent that, we at least killed the SOB like we should have, and if anyone doesn't like that, and wants to know why, the answer is, because we are the one hyper-power on the planet, and we will damn well do as WE, not YOU, see fit. Everybody got the message, now?

The fact is, that we could, if we chose to do so, retaliate for 9/11 by essentially wiping Islam from the face of the earth; in fact, we have the capacity to do most of the job in a matter of hours, literally, were America so inclined. There have been throughout history many great powers, which, had they had such a capacity, would not have hesitated for one moment in using it. Given that, I think America has been rather restrained. Some of our critics, despite what they say, would NOT be so restrained themselves, were they in our place; you may be sure of that. I think therefore, that we should point this reality out to them, in detail so that they can comprehend it. We have confined the killing in this case to the stateless rogues responsible for the atrocity. If necessary, I say we pick one nation (Pakistan or Saudi Arabia) and demonstrate upon it our full capabilities, as a reminder of what we CAN do.. That should be sufficient to bring our critics to understand just how much say they do NOT have, in how we handle our affairs in war. If people are going to be jealous of and hateful toward you, it is far better, that they also must fear you.

I thought world opinion mattered? or did that change when Buoooosh left office?

I wasn't under the impression it mattered much, then or now, but then, I'm not liberal, and liberals seem to be the main purveyors of that idea. I think most of them consider me somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan.

I wasn't under the impression it mattered much, then or now, but then, I'm not liberal, and liberals seem to be the main purveyors of that idea. I think most of them consider me somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan.

oh world opinion matter to the left thats why they supported obama. The world loved him, he was a great speaker and a new change, reach the hand out type guy. OH yes the opinion of the world did matter to the left 3 years ago.

So you're condemning Reagan's attempt to assassinate Khadaffi?

lol

What hypocrisy!!! The same actions during the Bush administration would have led to howling from the right at this kind of analysis of the situation. Y'all bowing to the UN now?!?! :eek:

Had Obama gave an order to capture, but not kill Bin Laden, the right would have called him a wimp and a terrorist supporter.

Because now that George "Go It Alone" Bush is out of office and Obama in, we care a lot about what the rest of the world thinks.

Or, the people that are scared shitless that this might help Obama in any way care a lot.

For me, I recognize that a raid on a compound of OBL is not the same as a police officer knocking on the door of a white collar criminal to make a polite arrest. These guys flew under cover of darkness with helicopters un-announced into a country with a hefty Air Force, fast roped into the compound of the guy responsible for 9-11. I am not at all surprised he ended up dead. That doesn't equate to us "assassinating" him as has been absurdly claimed.

Either way, it's justice. More importantly, the message that we will pursue you to the bitter end and will never give up, even if the leader changes, is the important thing. It says that participating in terrorism is a zero sum game and that we aren't afraid to assume incredible risk to take a swipe at you. That's important. No matter what people like OBL say, they fear death like any other man. You notice that he never strapped on a suicide vest.

Not when it comes to Bin Laden, dumbass. Fuck what the world thinks when it comes to bringing OBL to justice.

Just admit it, you secretly wish Obama had gone to the world/Pakistan and blown this. You would have been on here skewering him for looking weak.

So you're condemning Reagan's attempt to assassinate Khadaffi?

lol

Nope, but see I don't give a fling fuck about world opinion, the left use to what changed?

Had Obama gave an order to capture, but not kill Bin Laden, the right would have called him a wimp and a terrorist supporter.

He couldn't have given that order anyways. The right to self defense is inherent. You can't order any soldier/sailor/marine that they can't fire in self defense. It's an illegal order.

These guys had every right to believe that Osama would want to die a martyr and take them with him.

So obama did give the order to kill ben laden, that explains alot. It's a funny thing how the military captured the mastermind of 9/11 and they couldn't catch Ben Laden. How much vauble intell was thrown away we will never know.

I don't care and if there wasn't some political points to score nobody else would either. Bin Laden is dead. That's a good thing in my book. It's time to stop splitting hairs and move on.

Since when did anyone on the right give two shits about "international law" anyway? . Seriously, this is stupid.

Forum List

Back