The American Conservative

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bullypulpit, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    <blockquote>Bush has behaved like a caricature of what a right-wing president is supposed to be, and his continuation in office will discredit any sort of conservatism for generations. The launching of an invasion against a country that posed no threat to the U.S., the doling out of war profits and concessions to politically favored corporations, the financing of the war by ballooning the deficit to be passed on to the nation’s children, the ceaseless drive to cut taxes for those outside the middle class and working poor: it is as if Bush sought to resurrect every false 1960s-era left-wing cliché about predatory imperialism and turn it into administration policy. Add to this his nation-breaking immigration proposal—Bush has laid out a mad scheme to import immigrants to fill any job where the wage is so low that an American can’t be found to do it—and you have a presidency that combines imperialist Right and open-borders Left in a uniquely noxious cocktail...

...George W. Bush has come to embody a politics that is antithetical to almost any kind of thoughtful conservatism. His international policies have been based on the hopelessly naïve belief that foreign peoples are eager to be liberated by American armies—a notion more grounded in Leon Trotsky’s concept of global revolution than any sort of conservative statecraft. His immigration policies—temporarily put on hold while he runs for re-election—are just as extreme. A re-elected President Bush would be committed to bringing in millions of low-wage immigrants to do jobs Americans “won’t do.” This election is all about George W. Bush, and those issues are enough to render him unworthy of any conservative support.</blockquote>

This is the voice of the true conservative...Thoughtful...measured...Wholly lacking the strident braying of the the neo-conservatives...And thoroughly disgusted with the antics of the Bush administration.

Mr. McConnell is correct in his assessment of the Administration, and I believe him to be correct in his assessment of the situation should Bush go down to defeat or be elected, and equally correct about Dubbyuh's unworthiness to hold the office of POTUS. For the full text, go <a href=http://www.amconmag.com/2004_11_08/cover1.html><b>HERE</b></a>.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Good article, Bully.

I posted an article for Slate by a Republican conservative last week about George Bush and conservatism-- you should check it out.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Come on you guys. You really think any real Conservative could possibly vote for John Kerry? You think any real conservative would possibly give the most liberal senator in the Senate a chance to nominate liberal activist judges to the Supreme Court? That alone would set Conservatism back a century.

Tell me why the heck i should believe one word this guy is saying. I mean the guy wont even acknowledge our allies assisting us in Iraq.

Once again its amazing that you guys are trying to tell us what a real conservative us. I think we know what conservatism is better than you guys do.

4. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Whatever. For every Republican who likes Kerry, I can name a Dem who likes Bush.

5. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    theim I love you avatar, I agree with you also it seems in this election sides are a changin'.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    911 was a major event. its bound to cause some party realignments.

7. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,935
    How much of his party does Koch speak for? We won't know for sure until Election Day, when exit polls help gauge how many Democrats crossed party lines to support Bush. But Koch knows he's not the only Democrat to regard the war against militant Islam as the most critical issue of the campaign. And he doesn't think he was the only one dismayed by what he saw at the Democratic convention in July.

From Michael Moore's seat of honor next to Jimmy Carter, to the thunderous applause that greeted Howard Dean, to the 9 out of 10 delegates who want to pull the plug on Iraq, the convention exposed the radical antiwar mindset that dominates the Democratic Party leadership.

But hasn't Kerry pledged to stay in Iraq and to go after the terrorists? "That's what he says to appeal to moderates and conservatives during the campaign," Koch replies. But the party activists who nominated him would compel him to back down once he was in office. The people now running the Democratic Party want no part of the war, and "when the chips are down, Kerry will do what they want."

It bears repeating: This is a faithful Democrat talking. And it is as a faithful Democrat that Koch so sharply resists his party's left wing. ("The radicals don't like me," he once wrote. "And they have good reason, because I despise them.") Though he calls himself a "liberal with sanity," he governed the largest city in America as a decided centrist. Twice he was reelected in massive landslides. New Yorkers came to trust Koch's instincts and judgment because they resonated so closely with their own.

http://www.hfienberg.com/kesher/2004/08/more-jewish-liberals-for-bush.html

8. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    If you read the article, you would have noted that the author AND the magazine would stand in opposition to a Kerry administration.

9. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    He obviously doesn't speak for right-wingnuts such as yourself.

10. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    You just can't stand it, can you? You get a polite and thoughtful response and the best you can come up with in rebuttal is a dismissive, smart-ass, juvenile one-liner. You accomplish nothing with your arrogance other than to reveal yourself as a close-minded fanatic.

Any true conservative can criticize Pres. Bush for pursuing policies which are anything but conservative. Republicans have strayed from their core philosophy because they know they cannot retain power if they run on the policies of true conservatism. That may be distasteful to many of us, but that is pragmatism. Rather a president less conservative than the ideal than a president who will make Clinton look conservative.

Anyone who suggests that Bush's lack of conservatism is a reason to vote for kerry is so grossly lacking in judgement that they must be related to you.