The 9 Results - failure to increase intelligence

Whereisup

Jul 28, 2013
Result 6: failure to increase intelligence

There is reason to believe that we could discover a group of methods which would lift the intelligence of everyone to a level similar to what an IQ of several hundred would be, or even to a level similar to what an IQ of several thousand would be.

However, that will require a massive amount of research and cost a large amount of money.

If the top executives and major shareholders succeed in reducing the majority of Americans to a third world level, that will reduce sales of goods and services by business, and ruin the US economy. There will then not be enough money to do the needed research on raising intelligence.

However, if the top executives and major shareholders keep wages reasonably high, their heirs will both be much more intelligent and still wealthy.

Jim

If the top executives and major shareholders succeed in reducing the majority of Americans to a third world level, that will reduce sales of goods and services by business, and ruin the US economy. There will then not be enough money to do the needed research on raising intelligence.

I think the opposite is true. The marketing industry preys on people being less intelligent and using critical thinking skills. Business create supply and demand by manipulating people all the time. If everyone was too intelligent to be manipulated our economy would tank. Why do you think everyone desires to have a new car or an Iphone?

That is a logical reply and I think it is interesting. You might want to do some more research on your idea.

I have a different take on this, but I haven't seen your idea before anywhere, so haven't thought about it in the past. Therefore, it is possible that my alternative idea isn't correct. I don't really want to try to talk you into something I'm not sure is correct, so this is just to think about.

I think that if people were more intelligent, they would buy more carefully, and they would by some things of high artistic quality. However, the economy would work quite well if that happened. Throughout history, merchants have been very adaptable.

There was something a little bit similar a hundred years ago, but only somewhat similar. At that time, people cared about quality and how long something lasted. So merchants simply wouldn't have been able to sell clothes which wore out as fast as clothes now do, and which were actually colorfast, rather than fading and developing spots as so many clothes do. The economy at the time was on average doing quite well. There were bad years, but the trend was generally up and it was during those times when people purchased items more intelligently that America grew into a high standard of living nation.

For the last forty years, as the manipulation you have spoken about has increased, the standard of living of the middle class and poor, measured in real dollars, has been slowly falling.

So the economy did better when customers behaved more intelligently. Then, when customers began behaving less intelligently than before, the economy stagnated and began to decline.

The economy is so complicated that I think it would take us a long time to come up with a full understanding about why that has occurred.

Jim

Forum List

Back