Thailand seizes smuggled elephant tusks worth $6 million

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
BANGKOK — Thailand seized 4 tons of ivory hidden in bean sacks tracked from Congo in what authorities said was the biggest bust in the country’s history, customs officials said Monday.

The 739 elephant tusks, bound for Laos, were seized upon arrival at a port in Bangkok on Saturday after the authorities received a tip and had tracked the containers from Congo, Customs Department director-general Somchai Sujjapongse told reporters.

He said that the shipment, labeled as beans, was shipped out of Congo in February and went through Malaysia before reaching the Bangkok port.

“We have been following the [shipment] for two months. Intelligence reports said ivory from Africa might be smuggled with other products to go through the Laotian border,” Somchai said.

Thailand is one of the top destinations for African ivory smuggling in Asia and could face international sanctions soon if it doesn’t show progress in combating the problem.

Somchai said authorities believe that if the $6 million worth of ivory had reached Laos, it would then have been distributed to buyers in China, Vietnam and Thailand.

elephant_thailand.jpg

Thailand seizes smuggled elephant tusks worth 6 million New York Post

130114024940-world-pkg-elbagir-elephant-poaching-00025407-story-top.jpg

Examples of where those tusks come from.

Blame the poachers, of course. Then again, Ivory tusks are worth roughly $1,800 per kilogram. Basically, $18,000 per elephant. That means I blame those who purchase ivory products, drive the demand and raise the value.

So, who are the main purchasers of Ivory and who mainly drives the demand where the value is so high?

Mainly Asians. Mainly.

I think there ought to be severe, and I mean severe penalties for anyone that buys these ivory products illegally. In fact, I think ivory products ought to be banned all together.

I know this stuff is tied to left wing hypocrisy. I just know it. Don't you?

Last edited:
Disgusting. The poachers should be beheaded. The buyers? Jailed.

Forum List

Back