Textured Vegetable Protein(TVP) for vegetarians

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Or those simply wanting to cut down on their intake of meat. It's affordable and a decent replacement for ground beef, especially in pasta sauces etc.

Have either of you tried it? I enjoy the taste of meat, I was raised on it. TPV allows me to slowly wean myself off of or cut back on mest while still enjoying a similar and maintaining a high protein diet.

Why not just eat vegetables? ...
To me that is the number one problem with vegan diets--they try to make everything taste like meat instead of coming up with really good recipes for vegan food. Stop calling them bean burgers. Call them bean patties. The list goes on and on and on.

To me that is the number one problem with vegan diets--they try to make everything taste like meat instead of coming up with really good recipes for vegan food. Stop calling them bean burgers. Call them bean patties. The list goes on and on and on.
Fair enough, point taken. That said, vegetables taste great on their own, Ive made some a excellent veggie stirfries and soups. However, an artery safe melt with a bit of meat taste memory being appeased is fine.

Or those simply wanting to cut down on their intake of meat. It's affordable and a decent replacement for ground beef, especially in pasta sauces etc.
except that TVP is made from soy, and the health reasons to stop beef might be the same reason not to eat soy.
But I hope its better enough for your health to use it instead.

except that TVP is made from soy, and the health reasons to stop beef might be the same reason not to eat soy.
But I hope its better enough for your health to use it instead.
Well, I have to think of my arteries.

I fucking hate that shit. If I never have to eat it again; it will be too soon. I'd rather eat a stray dog, or go hungry.

I sounded like you all when I first had it,. until I strategized how to consume it. The easiest form is in pasta sauce as a replacement. It is mixed with other veggies.etc. The second good.option is a 50/50 mix wth lean ground beef for tacos. It isn't replacing the meat entirely but half the amount is a start. I also throw some in a Sheappards Pie and other such dishes.

I'm not a vegan but to eat healthier and get more variety of vitamin and minerals than a typical meal and to mix it up a bit I like veggie burgers and crumbles once in a while. But $5 for a cardboard burger & bland crumbles, no thanks, I learned and figured out my own recipe.
Ingredients: place in food processor to lightly chop:
Slow cooked or pressure cook the 2 dry beans ingedients:
(Half your portion to be chopped)Dry Lentils (cooked firm)&use less portion dry black beans cooked firm(canned can be used but drained and extra processes needed to prevent wet mushy texture like more oats & more cooking time)
drained canned garbanzo beans, chopped baby portabella lightly pan fried to soften, a raw peeled chopped beat, oats, panko bread crumbs, splash of liquid smoke, maybe a splash, and my secret ingredient to make it have some taste other than bean mush=powdered brown gravy.
And of course: salt, pepper, little paprika, garlic & onion powder. After slightly chopped add And stir in the rest of your portion of whole lentils.
Consistency needs to be like that of beef forming a pattie, if to wet add more oats bread crumbs & chopped mushroom (needed if using canned beans).
Also added process in using canned:
Microwave uncovered first before forming into patties or crumbs.
Trick; make thin patties or small crumbles and Pan fry longer than you would beef.
Crumbles (better than Morning Star's crumbles) can be used for nachos, burritos, Sloppy Joes (ketchup & favorite Barbecue sauce), can be placed over wide yolkless noodles in a mushroom brown gravy & sour cream sauce=Beef Stroganoff recipe,
Or use it in my melted chedar barbecue beef over wide noodles recipe.

Taste your mix before forming patties and feezing, because you might have to alter and add to get it how you like it

When you try to make non-meat taste like meat, it always ends up tasting like shit.

If you want to cut down on meat, there are plenty of vegan and/or vegetarian dishes that are delicious.

When you try to make non-meat taste like meat, it always ends up tasting like shit.

If you want to cut down on meat, there are plenty of vegan and/or vegetarian dishes that are delicious.
After experimenting I found that adding not just liquid smoke & little Worcestershire sauce, but also add a beefy tasting gravy mix powder and carefully regulating the amount of black beans in the ratio works. Using fresh beans over canned helps as well.

After experimenting I found that adding not just liquid smoke & little Worcestershire sauce, but also add a beefy tasting gravy mix powder and carefully regulating the amount of black beans in the ratio works. Using fresh beans over canned helps as well.
I would prefer just having a black bean Burger that's properly spiced over. I'm trying to. Make it face like meat.

Have either of you tried it? I enjoy the taste of meat, I was raised on it. TPV allows me to slowly wean myself off of or cut back on mest while still enjoying a similar and maintaining a high protein diet.
But what sort of advert are you?
Turned you into The Sniveler and goodness knows what else .

Forum List

Back