Texas Ranger's manager tested positive for cocaine use in 2009

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bfgrn, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Ron is such a great teacher. I hope he can stay clean. And I applaud the Ranger's organization for giving this guy a second chance...

Ron Washington Tested Positive for Cocaine in 2009

We've become accustomed to reading stories about failed drug tests in Major League Baseball over the last few years. We haven't been accustomed to stories like this, however.

Rangers manager Ron Washington tested positive for cocaine during the 2009 season. The manager confirmed the positive test in an interview with Jon Heyman of SI.com on Tuesday night.

"I did make a mistake and I regret that I did it," Washington told SI.com. "I am really embarrassed and I am really sorry."

Washington spoke with the media at length Wednesday, but the news didn't come as a surprise to the Rangers. After he took a random drug test last season, Washington contacted his bosses as well as the commissioner's office to let them know that there was a good chance he was going to fail the test. He apologized and the Rangers elected not to make a change in the dugout.

Since failing, Washington has passed every subsequent drug test. He's subject to more frequent testing as a result of failing the test and was subject to testing in the first place as a result of a recommendation in the Mitchell Report that managers and other staff be part of the testing process. Those who fail a test or admit drug use are placed in counseling and/or a treatment program by MLB's mandate.

2. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,484
    So what.

So the guy snorts a little yayo in his free time. As long as he's not under the influence during games, who the fuck cares?

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Ahh he got the celebrety exemption.

A regualr middle class worker would have lost his job.

4. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,484
    Now this is a more appropriate response to a story like this.

Who really cares if he snorts blow in his free time...I bet most of you would be pretty surprised to know how many people actually do...but what's shocking about it is that he gets off scott free when, like uscitizen said, the average joe would have been shit canned.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    He should have been fired on the spot.

The last thing MLB or the Rangers need is drugs coming from managers.

I'm sure Josh Hamliton will take what this guys says to heart now...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    [​IMG]

Players react to manager's positive test

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- If anyone can understand what Ron Washington is going through, it's Josh Hamilton.

The Rangers slugger, who has dealt with drug and alcohol addiction problems, found out with the rest of his teammates Wednesday morning that Washington had used cocaine during the first half of last season. Players said they support their manager and have vowed not to let the issue distract them from preparing for a season with high expectations.

"I told him I loved him," Hamilton said. "Everybody makes mistakes. I respect him as a man, as a coach and as a man of high integrity. When he was speaking to us in here, you could tell he was broken and really felt remorse about it."

Hamilton, who was suspended for violating Major League Baseball's drug policy while with Tampa Bay in 2004, said his situation differs completely from what Washington did.

"I was addicted," Hamilton said. "I was trying to get after it, 'How much can I get? How much can I use?'" Hamilton said. "I didn't care about anybody else when I was going through things. Wash cares about people. He has a vested interest in how he comes off to him, being the manager and the man that he is. I think it was a weak moment, like he said. He made a mistake and he didn't try to hide it. He just said, 'I made a mistake and here it is.'"

Rangers third baseman Michael Young, a key leader in the clubhouse, said Washington's apology was "well received."

"Going forward, I don't see it being a big issue at all," Young said. "He made a mistake. He admitted it. He talked to the team about it. Guys were able to say their piece. He gave an open-door policy for guys to answer whatever question they wanted. You can't ask for much more than that. It won't be a distraction for the guys. We'll get ready for the season."

7. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,484
    Unless there's more to this I don't know, Washington is not "going through" anything even close to what Hamilton went through. Hamilton is an addict, who will forever be in recovery because of it. Washington snorted some blow and pissed hot.

Does anyone know if Washington has a problem with drugs, or did he just party one night and have the extreme bad luck of having a piss test within 48 hours of ingesting coke?

8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    So it is not the act of using an illegal drug but the fact that he got caught?

9. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Maybe they should just shoot him you idiot