Texas radio station: Chicago 2017: 450 "multiple shootings", 30 mass shootings, 10 police shootings

Aug 6, 2012
I've been listening to radio talk media of late as I feel it is more democratic and expansive than regular news media on tv, especially as concerned citizens can call in and debate. Just a few minutes ago on one of the Texas stations I listened to, the provided those stats. They suggested that you cannot own a gun in Chicago (unless I misunderstood and they meant only gun restricted).

Multiple shootings is defined as two or more victims, mass shootings is defined as four or more victims. In the entire city, only 10 police directed shootings.

Now, I'm a firm believer in holding people to account if they shoot and kill someone, and if the police are involved there always needs to be an honest and transparent investigation, they are members of the state and not above the law. Consider the difference in numbers though. Only 10 were police based, while many more shootings of 2 or more were by presumably criminal elements.

Food for thought both in regards to the gun ownership laws (as we can safely assume most if not all of these mass shootings were committed by a gun illegally owned), and, in regards to media coverage on the issue. I'm not minimizing the horror that occurred in a church, I would never do this, it is obviously a disgusting and unique situation that deserves ample coverage, but the numbers in places like Chicago receive nearly zero coverage, while a mass gun ownership state like Texas receives constant insinuations of a gun problem, in my opinion.

I provide a link that states the number of murders in ChiTown, amazingly a 7% drop!:

Chicago tops 500 homicides in 2017
Chicago tops 500 homicides in 2017 - and that's a good sign

Texas and gun massacres
A match made in heaven

Texas Tower
JFK
Luby's massacre
Ft Hood massacre I
Ft Hood massacre II
Waco
Texas church slayings

Chicago Close to 600th Homicide this year...
eek.gif

Chicago Close to Recording 600th Homicide
Nov. 6, 2017 - After a weekend in which five people were fatally shot, the number of homicides stands at 593.
Chicago is close to recording its 600th homicide for the year, only the second time the city will have reached the grim milestone since 2003, according to data kept by the Tribune. After a weekend when 30 were people shot, five of them fatally, the number of homicides stands at 593 this year, according to the Tribune’s database. That’s below the 681 homicides this time last year but substantially above other recent years.

US_NEWS_CHICAGO_VIOLENCE_TB.5a0096a04a98f.jpg

A member of the Chicago Police Department, at the scene of a shooting, in the 1300 block of South Homan Avenue, in Chicago​

Last year saw gun violence at levels not recorded since the late 1990s. This year has not been as bad, but the last time the city hit 600 homicides was 2003, and that was for the entire year, according to statistics kept by the Chicago Police Department. Shootings have shown the same trend: This year trails last year but not other recent years. Nearly 3,200 people have been shot so far in 2017, down from the roughly 3,800 shot this time last year. That’s compared to 2,609 at this time in 2015, 2,208 in 2014, 1,923 in 2013 and 2.162 in 2012, according to Tribune data.

Among those shot over this past weekend was a 14-year-old boy, who was grazed in the right foot and leg on Saturday afternoon. He and a 22-year-old man were fired at from a black sedan in the 2200 block of South Oakley Avenue in the West Side’s Heart of Italy neighborhood. In another double shooting late Saturday night, a 37-year-old woman was killed while attending a party to celebrate what would have been the birthday of a man killed in August as he left the Cook County criminal courthouse. A 25-year-old man was also shot and injured.

Chicago Close to 600th Homicide this year...
eek.gif

Nov. 6, 2017 - After a weekend in which five people were fatally shot, the number of homicides stands at 593.
Chicago is close to recording its 600th homicide for the year, only the second time the city will have reached the grim milestone since 2003, according to data kept by the Tribune. After a weekend when 30 were people shot, five of them fatally, the number of homicides stands at 593 this year, according to the Tribune’s database. That’s below the 681 homicides this time last year but substantially above other recent years.

US_NEWS_CHICAGO_VIOLENCE_TB.5a0096a04a98f.jpg

A member of the Chicago Police Department, at the scene of a shooting, in the 1300 block of South Homan Avenue, in Chicago​

Last year saw gun violence at levels not recorded since the late 1990s. This year has not been as bad, but the last time the city hit 600 homicides was 2003, and that was for the entire year, according to statistics kept by the Chicago Police Department. Shootings have shown the same trend: This year trails last year but not other recent years. Nearly 3,200 people have been shot so far in 2017, down from the roughly 3,800 shot this time last year. That’s compared to 2,609 at this time in 2015, 2,208 in 2014, 1,923 in 2013 and 2.162 in 2012, according to Tribune data.

Among those shot over this past weekend was a 14-year-old boy, who was grazed in the right foot and leg on Saturday afternoon. He and a 22-year-old man were fired at from a black sedan in the 2200 block of South Oakley Avenue in the West Side’s Heart of Italy neighborhood. In another double shooting late Saturday night, a 37-year-old woman was killed while attending a party to celebrate what would have been the birthday of a man killed in August as he left the Cook County criminal courthouse. A 25-year-old man was also shot and injured.

Texas has 1300

Because guns come in from the states that border Illinois that have lax gun laws.

So a gun trafficker buys a gun in Indiana, then sells the gun via straw purchase in Illinois where the gun is used in crimes.

What would you refer the 30 mass attacks in Chicago this year alone then? "Another day in Chicago?"

Conservatives deliberately perpetuate Chicago's gun crimes by funneling guns from lax gun law states like Indiana into Illinois via an "Iron Pipeline".

Conservatives want there to be a high murder rate in Chicago because that just helps sell guns in places like Indiana and Kentucky. Then the traffickers take those guns and bring them into IL where they sell them illegally or via straw purchasing to criminals.

Conservatives are usually the root cause of most problems this country faces.

Because guns come in from the states that border Illinois that have lax gun laws.

So a gun trafficker buys a gun in Indiana, then sells the gun via straw purchase in Illinois where the gun is used in crimes.
If they know for a fact who is buying and illegally reselling guns then someone in law enforcement is incompetent.
Two types of bad guys do not justify each other.

If they know for a fact who is buying and illegally reselling guns then someone in law enforcement is incompetent.

They don't know who is buying and selling specifically because you stupid motherfuckers don't think straw purchasers should be subject to background checks.

So you are responsible for the high murder rate in places like Chicago.

No, it's the left who encourage and embrace fractured families and that's what generates most crime.

You're the ones who want to force women to give birth. You perpetuate the fractured families over which you cry crocodile tears.

They don't know who is buying and selling specifically because you stupid motherfuckers don't think straw purchasers should be subject to background checks.

So you are responsible for the high murder rate in places like Chicago.
I don't sell guns. If gun sales laws are ineffectual then take it up with legislators.
It's no one's fault if guns or any other potentially dangerous item is used for murder than the perp's. Stop making the perp, derp. Fatherlessness, a staple of the Democrat party, is mostly responsible for the perp, derp.

No, it's the left who encourage and embrace fractured families and that's what generates most crime.

You're the ones who want to force women to give birth. You perpetuate the fractured families over which you cry crocodile tears.
Where did I ever force women to give birth? Outside of rape, who forces a woman to choose pregnancy besides herself? No one.
You need to learn about personal responsibility and consequences.

I don't sell guns. If gun sales laws are ineffectual then take it up with legislators.

Now hold on a second, gun laws are precisely what we're talking about here. You can't argue on behalf of a position then abscond responsibility for the position you were just arguing. That's not how it works. We try taking it up with legislators but you all scream bloody murder every time we do. So nothing gets done and the chaos continues.

It's no one's fault if guns or any other potentially dangerous item is used for murder than the perp's. Stop making the perp, derp. Fatherlessness, a staple of the Democrat party, is mostly responsible for the perp, derp.

Well, not true. Cigarette makers were held liable for the deaths their products caused despite them not being the ones smoking. So the precedent exists for all sorts of folks to face consequences for what they do. As you correctly point out, nothing is going to stop a right-winger from murdering people, but we can definitely limit the people they kill by limiting access to the types of weapons that can produce those high body counts. That doesn't mean law-abiding people won't be able to get guns. Unless they aren't law abiding people or have a criminal record. Hard to see how universal background checks on all gun purchases/transfers/etc. infringe on your rights. To this day, not a single one of you has been able to make the case they do.

Where did I ever force women to give birth?

So you oppose free and open access to contraception and birth control. You oppose comprehensive sex education in school. You oppose abortion. So you tell me what that all means if not that you want to force people to bear children for having sex.

Outside of rape, who forces a woman to choose pregnancy besides herself? No one.

You do. You force her to make that choice by all the things I described above. What it really sounds like to me is that you don't think people should have sex for any reason other than procreation.

Point is, we have advances in medicine and science now that prevent pregnancy. Which is the "consequence" I think you're referring to here. And it's interesting how you frame pregnancy as a "consequence"..implying that the act of having sex for reasons other than procreation is one that should face consequences.

That's really what it is; you think people should have to face consequences for having sex for reasons other than procreation. Why do you think that? Is it because you hate sex? What's the reason behind your logic there?

Last edited:

Now hold on a second, gun laws are precisely what we're talking about here. You can't argue on behalf of a position then abscond responsibility for the position you were just arguing. That's not how it works. We try taking it up with legislators but you all scream bloody murder every time we do. So nothing gets done and the chaos continues.

Well, not true. Cigarette makers were held liable for the deaths their products caused despite them not being the ones smoking. So the precedent exists for all sorts of folks to face consequences for what they do. As you correctly point out, nothing is going to stop a right-winger from murdering people, but we can definitely limit the people they kill by limiting access to the types of weapons that can produce those high body counts. That doesn't mean law-abiding people won't be able to get guns. Unless they aren't law abiding people or have a criminal record. Hard to see how universal background checks on all gun purchases/transfers/etc. infringe on your rights. To this day, not a single one of you has been able to make the case they do.
You're the one talking gunlaws, not me. I'm responding to that.
I'm discussing the source of bad people who abuse guns, etc., and that starts with Democrat policy which creates, perpetuates, encourages and embraces depletion of family structure.

Where did I ever force women to give birth?

So you oppose free and open access to contraception and birth control. You oppose comprehensive sex education in school. You oppose abortion. So you tell me what that all means if not that you want to force people to bear children for having sex.

Outside of rape, who forces a woman to choose pregnancy besides herself? No one.

You do. You force her to make that choice by all the things I described above. What it really sounds like to me is that you don't think people should have sex for any reason other than procreation.

Point is, we have advances in medicine and science now that prevent pregnancy. Which is the :consequence" I think you're referring to here. And it's interesting how you frame pregnancy as a "consequence"..implying that the act of having sex for reasons other than procreation is one that should face consequences.

That's really what it is; you think people should have to face consequences for having sex for reasons other than procreation. Why do you think that? Is it because you hate sex? What's the reason behind your logic there?
You speak as if pregnancy is inevitable, as if a woman walking down the street will catch a pregnancy. You are indoctrinated.
Poor behavior choices are not inevitable. Stop making excuses.

You're the one talking gunlaws, not me. I'm responding to that.

We are talking about them together. It's called "having a discussion".

I'm discussing the source of bad people who abuse guns, etc., and that starts with Democrat policy which creates, perpetuates, encourages and embraces depletion of family structure.

Well since pre-cogs like in Minority Report don't exist, we have to be proactive in how we protect people from gun violence. Hard to see how universal background checks limit your freedom to get a gun in any way. The only reason you'd be opposed to it is if you couldn't pass the background check yourself.

Family structure! That's a joke. You're the one who perpetuates the destruction of the so-called "family structure" when you force women to give birth because you took away or prevented her free access to contraception and birth control, and when you teach abstinence in schools. None of your policies on this matter do anything to restore the so-called "family structure" you claim is under assault. In fact, your policies only make it worse. So you are the cause of the very thing you are complaining about. In other words, mental masturbation.

You speak as if pregnancy is inevitable

Do you not know from where babies come?

, as if a woman walking down the street will catch a pregnancy. You are indoctrinated.

So this is you creating a straw man because you don't want to admit that the only reason you have this position is that you think sex for reasons other than procreation is something that should face consequences, even though those consequences are completely avoidable. So you are deliberately perpetuating a problem for no other reason than to complain about it. Which makes your argument the equivalent of a monkey in the zoo playing with itself in the corner of its cage.

Poor behavior choices are not inevitable. Stop making excuses.

Poor behavior? So there it is again, your hatred of sex. Clearly, you think people should face consequences for having sex. The only way someone could come to that conclusion is if they thought sex was something that should only be done for procreation; or because you can't seem to have casual sex, so no one should without facing consequences.

And it's interesting how you think a child is to be thought of as a "consequence". You don't care about kids either, obviously.

Forum List

Back