Texans can now openly carry guns in public without a permit or training...CNN: "Police say the new law makes it harder to do their jobs"

If you troll people don't whine when they turn around and give it back. Put on your big boy pants and suck it up.
Mental health issues don't don't exist in a vacuum. Men in this country are more likely to use a gun for suicide and more likely to be impulse driven and successful. Something as moderate as a 3 day waiting period for gun can possibly give the person a chance to come down from rhe impulse or get help.

Studies have shown they have had no effect on suicide rates...but thanks for playing

Said no rational, reasoned person, ever.
I'm from Boston Massachusetts.
To us all Texas is a wild country of ignorant stupid cowboys.
Including their indians and Mexicans too.
They should all move to Mexico.
We live in a very sophisticated country.
Go Away Texicans...

Because of your liberal bigotry.
What's wrong with being liberal?
Better than being a stupid asshol or a stupid bitch from the south.
You conservatives are destroying America.
If you don't like USA
Get the Fuck Out.
American values are European values and not from Mexico.
Stupid.

But can you show causation.
Looking at your graph it has been in a steady incline since 2004.
While it did jump after the law passed can you honestly blame open carry?
You people are always full of excuses when your gun theories are always proven wrong. Illinois & Chicago's homicide rate has been soaring ever since Illinois allowed gun ownership & CCW.

I've been a gun owned since I was 12 years old & always had 4 or more guns since 18 years old. I'm not ever giving up my guns, but I'm not going to be a stupid liar like you & claim more guns = less shootings.

Last edited:
You people are always full of excuses when your gun theories are always proven wrong. Illinois & Chicago's homicide rate has been soaring ever since Illinois allowed gun ownership & CCW.

I've been a gun owned since I was 12 years old & always had 4 or more guns since 18 years old. I'm not ever giving up my guns, but I'm not going to be a stupid liar like you & claim more guns = less shootings.

LoL....than why do the states and cities with the most stringent gun laws have the highest murder rates involving guns?
And no I dont believe you have any guns.
And if you did isnt it a bit hypocritical of you to say what you're saying? Of course it is.
Now go and play with your Red Rider.

LoL....than why do the states and cities with the most stringent gun laws have the highest murder rates involving guns?
And no I dont believe you have any guns.
And if you did isnt it a bit hypocritical of you to say what you're saying? Of course it is.
Now go and play with your Red Rider.
How is it hypocritical of me a gun owner to say more guns in peoples hands = more shooting?

I wore out the old Crosman BB/pellet gun the 2nd year shooting Mice, Rats, Sparrows & Starlings that were eating the crop, destroying the farm equipment & buildings. I now have a .30 M1 carbine, 12GA Remington 870 Express Super Magnum, .22 Marlin Rifle tube feed w/scope, 9mm Beretta Nano to replace my stolen EAA Witness-P .45 ACP w/Laser & .177 Gamo Wildcat Whisper w/scope. Also 1,150 Rounds of Ammo!

Last edited:

Are you this stupid....our gun crime rate here in Chicago was always higher than other cities, including New York and L.A....you dumb ass...please, do some fucking research before you post.......

The reason Chicago has such a high gun murder rate is the democrat party refuses to prosecute criminals who use guns.....as each police superintendent here has stated, we have a revolving door policy for repeat gun offenders, you moron.....

And since 2015, when the democrat party decided to go after the police, instead of criminals, it has gotten worse.

Chicago...

Man fatally shot one victim, wounded another while free on recognizance bond and electronic monitoring, prosecutors say | CWB Chicago

It’s been 18 months since Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart warned that he was “alarmed” by the number of accused gun offenders who were being released on their own recognizance, sometimes with electronic monitoring.

“This needs to get fixed quick,” Dart told the Sun-Times in Feb. 2018.

It hasn’t been fixed.

Yesterday, 18-year-old Antwane Lashley was in bond court, accused of shooting a man to death on Aug. 23. Prosecutors say he also shot and seriously wounded a woman at the same time. Lashley has been free on his own recognizance with electronic monitoring since prosecutors charged him with possessing a handgun illegally this spring.

Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle wasted no time criticizing Dart’s concerns last year.

“I believe it is our responsibility to keep these matters in context and not contribute to sensationalizing them,” Preckwinkle told Dart in a letter days later.

As recently as Friday, Preckwinkle called concerns about people committing violent crimes while free on affordable bail, a “fear tactic.” She has also defended easy bail conditions for gun possession. Some people who live in less-safe neighborhoods feel the need to carry guns for their own protection, she says.

A gun, freedom, then a murder
Around 7:30 p.m. on May 20th, cops in Humboldt Park saw Antwane Lashley walking quickly on the 3800 block of West Chicago. He saw police nearby and began running, holding his right pocket as he fled, a police spokesperson said last night.

Lashley took a handgun out of his pocket, threw it, and kept running, the spokesperson said. Officers caught him nearby while other cops retrieved the gun he allegedly threw.

Prosecutors charged Lashley with felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon. He appeared in court the next afternoon and was set free on his own recognizance with an order to go onto electronic monitoring, according to court records.

Then, last Friday, Neal Sumrell and a woman were sitting in a car on the 4200 block of West Iowa in Humboldt Park. Around 8:15 p.m., someone walked up to their vehicle and opened fire. Sumrell, 34, was shot seven times in the upper body. He died. The woman tried to run away, police said. She was shot three times throughout her body, but managed to survive.

Lashley—on juvenile probation for aggravated battery causing great bodily harm—was arrested at his home Thursday evening, just one block from the murder scene. Police say he’s the gunman who killed Sumrell and injured the 28-year-old woman who tried to run away.

Prosecutors yesterday charged Lashley with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, and aggravated battery by discharging a firearm. Judge Mary Marubio ordered him held without bail.

“Victims deserve better,” said Anthony Guglielmi, the police department’s chief communications officer early Sunday. “We are going to continue to be the voice for those who have been silenced by gun violence.”

Not the first
Lashley is hardly the first person to be accused of killing or trying to kill someone while free on the county's affordable bail program. Among similar cases reported by CWBChicago:

In May 2018, Daryl Williams was charged with fatally shooting a man in the back of the head. He was free on a recognizance bond at the time while awaiting trial for allegedly possessing a stolen firearm the previous November.

In June of last year, Carnell Morris was charged with being an armed habitual criminal after police said they found a gun in his car. He posted a $1,000 bond. Six months later, while awaiting trial for the gun case, Morris was charged with attempted murder after he allegedly shot a 51-year-old man.

Just three months ago, repeat gun offender Antawan Smith was charged with murdering a 15-year-old. He was free on a $6,000 deposit bond while awaiting trial for allegedly being an armed habitual criminal.

Chief judge says there have been no "horrible incidents" under his affordable bail program. These people might disagree, if they only they were still alive.

Two years into an “affordable bail” initiative that is allowing most accused gun offenders and even accused murderers to be released from jail to await trial, Cook County’s chief judge says the program is working fabulously.
----------

There are likely many people who would disagree with Evans’ definition of “horrible incidents” — if they were still alive to do so.

• On Feb. 9, Daryl Williams violated the terms of a court-ordered curfew, secured an illegal handgun, and then fatally shot 45-year-old Daniel Smith in the back of the head, prosecutors allege.

Three months earlier, Judge Stephanie Miller released Williams on a recognizance bond after he was charged with illegally possessing a stolen handgun near a “shots fired” incident on the South Side.

“That was me,” Williams allegedly told police. “I let off two rounds to see if [the gun] worked.”

Williams is now being held without bail as he awaits trial for murder.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

• In August, someone fatally shot 34-year-old Neal Sumrell as he sat in his car in Humboldt Park. Someone also shot a woman who was in Sumrell’s vehicle as she tried to run away.

Prosecutors say they know who at least one of the shooters was: Antwane Lashley.

The 18-year-old who was free on a recognizance bond and electronic monitoring at the time of the shootings after cops said they caught him with an illegal handgun on the West Side in May.

Lashley was on juvenile probation for aggravated battery, causing great bodily harm at the time of his gun arrest, according to court records. He is now being held without bail as he awaits trial for murder.

In May, prosecutors say, 30-year-old Antawan Smith murdered 15-year-old Jaylin Ellzey in a drive-by shooting. When police arrested Smith during a traffic stop two weeks later, officers reported finding a loaded handgun in his car.

At the time of the murder, Smith was free on bail while awaiting trial for Class X felony armed violence with a weapon; felony manufacture-delivery of cocaine; felony repeated unlawful use of a weapon by a felon,
and felony aggravated fleeing. Smith was on parole for illegal possession of a handgun when cops arrested him on those charges in September. His bond amount? $6,000.

He’s now held without bail as he awaits trial for Ellzey’s murder and the earlier charges.

• In May 2018, a judge released 18-year-old Randy Wilson to await trial after prosecutors charged him with criminal trespass to a vehicle. But things escalated when Chicago police allegedly found him carrying a handgun illegally one month later. But, another judge released him to await trial again.

Three weeks later, a 50-year-old man told police that Wilson and three other men robbed him and two teenagers on the South Side. Police arrested Wilson and wrote in a report that he was wearing an electronic monitoring bracelet when they found him. Prosecutors charged him with two counts of attempted robbery with a firearm.

He paid a $2,500 deposit bond to get out of jail. And, of course, the judge ordered him to be on electronic monitoring which didn’t help much before.

Gunday: A look at how the courts are handling some recent weapons charges in Chicago

Near North incident
You may remember our Oct. 30 report about a Near North woman who called police because a man fired a shot through her door after she kicked him out of her apartment on the 700 block of North Dearborn.The woman called police again early on Nov. 2 after she and her brother saw the alleged offender in the first block of West Huron.Officers arrived and arrested 35-year-old Christopher Stanley after confirming that the victim identified him by name in her police report, according to court records. During a search, police allegedly found a handgun in Stanley’s possession.Prosecutors charged Stanley with being a felon in possession of a firearm but not with the alleged shooting. Judge John Lyke set bail at $5,000 and Stanley went free by posting a $500 deposit bond.In May 2002, prosecutors dropped four counts of attempted murder and four other felonies in a plea deal with Stanley. In exchange for pleading guilty to aggravated discharge of a firearm, Stanley received a sentence of eight years, court records show.

Then you have this.....a gun charge while on parole for an illegal gun charge....

Gun charge while on parole for a gun charge

A man who escaped an armed habitual criminal charge in a plea deal with prosecutors two years ago is now charged with being an armed habitual criminal again after police say they found him with a gun in Old Town.

Chervon Jackson, 31, was paroled in January after serving half of a four-year sentence that he received for unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon in 2017.

Then, on Nov. 3, police pulled over a car on the 1200 block of North Sedgwick because its plates were expired. Officers asked all of the vehicle’s occupants to step out of the car after the driver allegedly admitted that a drink container in the center console contained Hennessey cognac.

Seated in the passenger seat, Jackson made “furtive movements” and did not immediately step out of the car, police said. Once he was outside, police allegedly found a .45-caliber in his waistband.

Prosecutors charged him with Class X felony armed habitual criminal, felony unlawful use of a weapon, and misdemeanor obstruction of identification. In addition to the 2017 gun case, police say Jackson was also convicted of unlawful use of a weapon and burglary in 2004.

Judge Charles Beach ordered Jackson held without bail and the Illinois Department of Corrections issued a warrant for a parole violation, according to court records.

Court records reveal even more men charged with murder, shootings while free on "affordable bail"

It’s been two months since Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans said, “it’s not by magic that we haven’t had any horrible incidents occur using this new [affordable bail] system,” during budget hearings on Nov. 4.

Since then, we’ve told you about seven different people who are currently facing murder charges for crimes that they allegedly committed while free on “affordable bail” awaiting trial for charges such as Class X felony armed violence, unlawful use of a weapon, and repeated use of a weapon by a felon.

It’s hard to fathom how Evans would conclude that those murders and shootings committed by persons on affordable bail weren’t “horrible incidents.”

Since November, our team has come across new cases in which men have been charged with killing or shooting people while on affordable bail awaiting trial for serious crimes. Here’s a look at these new “not horrible” situations:

Last February, prosecutors charged 19-year-old Armando Lopez with felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, felony possession of a controlled substance, and driving on a revoked license after Chicago police allegedly found a rifle in his vehicle on the 2700 block of South Kedzie. Judge David Navarro allowed Lopez to go home after posting a $500 bond.

While he was out, Lopez got another gun which he used to shoot and killed 32-year-old nurse Frank Aguilar whom he mistook for a rival gang member on Nov. 13, according to allegations in court records.

Lopez is now being held without bail.

In April 2019, prosecutors charged 24-year-old Josue Becerra with having a loaded 45-caliber handgun in his vehicle in Albany Park. Judge David Navarro released him for $200.

Then, on July 23, police were flagged down by a man who told them that three men in a red Jeep pointed a gun at him near the 4900 block of North Milwaukee. A few minutes later, officers tried to pull Becerra over as he drove a red Jeep nearby. Police say he sped away, drove in the wrong lane, and cruised onto the Kennedy Expressway before they caught up with him. He was charged with fleeing and eluding, possession of ecstasy, and multiple traffic violations.

Even though he was still on bail for the April gun violation, Judge Charles Beach let him go home by posting another $500 bond.

Finally, on Jan. 21, a couple of Chicago cops said they were doing undercover surveillance when they heard gunfire and saw Becerra run past their covert car with a gun in his hand.

Police tried to stop him, but Becerra got into a car that sped away and eventually crashed in North Center. He and the driver were immediately arrested

Horribly, the shots left a 43-year-old man in critical condition. Prosecutors charged Becerra with attempted murder, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, aggravated battery of a police officer, and aggravated assault of a police officer. This time, he was ordered held without bail.

A man on parole for his third gun conviction was arrested near Montrose Harbor after he allegedly pointed a handgun at a driver on Lake Shore Drive during a road rage incident Sunday evening. Police tracked the man down by using CPD’s extensive network of lakefront cameras and license plate readers.

Esparza was paroled in September 2020 after serving half of a five-year sentence that he received for being a felon in possession of a firearm in 2018. He previously received three years for being a felon in possession of a firearm in 2016. Before that, he received a three-year sentence for being a felon in possession of a firearm in 2014. He also has a 2009 conviction for possession of a stolen motor vehicle.

Man on parole for 3rd gun case is charged with brandishing firearm during Lake Shore Drive road rage clash | CWB Chicago

Chicago...

What have you been up to for the past 13 months or so?

If you’re Shemar Barber, you’ve been charged with illegal gun possession five times. Well, he did do more than that. He went to prison for one of the gun cases, but the state released him on the day he arrived. The other three gun cases, including one he picked up Sunday, are still pending.

It all started on June 27 of last year when prosecutors charged him illegally carrying a gun in West Englewood. He posted a $200 deposit to get out of jail on that.

On August 13, prosecutors charged him with carrying another gun illegally in West Englewood. He posted a $3,000 deposit, and a judge told him to stay in the house from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., but the judge didn’t make him wear a device to enforce the curfew, records show.

Then, on April 22, prosecutors charged him with another felony count of illegally carrying a firearm in West Englewood.

He pleaded guilty to one of the earlier felony gun cases on May 20. A judge sentenced him to one year in prison, records show. Authorities shipped him to Stateville Correctional Center on May 24, gave him the state’s standard 50% sentence reduction and credit for time spent in jail after his arrest, and sent him home the same day.

On Saturday, police who responded to a call of a person with a gun saw Barber on the street and determined he matched the gunman’s description, prosecutors said this week. He saw the cops and began walking away while holding his waistband, prosecutors said. When officers stopped him, he allegedly had a loaded handgun tucked into his pants.

Prosecutors on Sunday charged him with felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and three counts of resisting police.

“The state outlines for me a roadmap that is alarming,” Judge John Lyke said after hearing the latest allegations. “This defendant is 19 years of age. Nineteen. Just pled guilty in May to a gun case. So that gives him one felony. He got one year. But he has two other pending gun cases. And now he’s in front of me with another gun case. So that’s 4 gun cases in the matter of about a year.”

Lyke set bail at $250,000 and ordered Barber to go onto electronic monitoring if he can post a 10% deposit. The judge also ordered Barber held without bail for violating the terms of bond in the other two pending gun cases.

Prosecutors did not mention any state plans to revoke Barber’s parole.

Meet the Chicago man who's been charged with illegal gun possession 4 times in 13 months | CWB Chicago

Chicago police on Tuesday arrested Clarence Hebron, a convicted murderer who has been wanted in connection with a double-slaying in suburban Riverdale in November. Hebron was out of jail on “affordable bail” for reckless homicide and two separate counts of armed habitual criminal when police said he killed his 26-year-old girlfriend, Jessica Beal, and her 27-year-old brother, Damien, on November 27.

---

His extensive criminal background includes a 2007 conviction for second-degree murder in which he and his cousin fatally shot a man, D’Antignac said Wednesday.
----
At the time of the Beals’ murders, Hebron was awaiting trial for allegedly killing a woman with his car as he fled from police in April 2019. At the time of that incident, he was already on bail for two separate counts of Class X armed habitual criminal, according to court records.

Cops arrest man wanted for double-murder while on "affordable bail" for reckless homicide and 2 gun cases | CWB Chicago

Chicago..

A Chicago man shot and killed a 16-year-old rival gang member over a haircut last week while on affordable bail for discharging a handgun, prosecutors said.

Jesus Moro, 21, is the eighth person charged with killing or shooting someone in Chicago this year while on bail for other serious felonies.

Prosecutors said 16-year-old Julian Castillo, a member of the Two Six street gang, was visiting a man on the first floor of a home in Chicago Lawn last Friday evening while Moro, a Latin King gang member, was on the second floor.

When the man went upstairs to get a glass of water, Moro’s fellow Latin King member, 20-year-old Sergio Rodriguez, began to ask him about his haircut and said the cut was a Two Six style, Assistant State’s Attorney Angel Eggleston said.
-----
On July 3, police arrested Moro after CPD surveillance cameras recorded him firing a handgun outside John Spry Elementary School in Little Village, according to court records. In his arrest report, cops called Moro “a highly active Latin King gang member.”

Judge David Navarro ordered Moro held in lieu of $100,000 the next day, but Judge LeRoy Martin Jr cut that in half a few days later, and Moro went home by posting a $5,000 deposit bond, records show.
------

Moro went to prison for a year following a nearly identical incident in October 2017. In that case, police surveillance cameras recorded footage of Moro firing a gun at a passing car just a block away from Spry Elementary, according to CPD records. Police allegedly recovered a gun from Moro’s bedroom after that incident and he admitted to “testing the gun.”

On Monday, Moro found himself in front of Judge Navarro again on the new murder charges. Navarro ordered him held without bail for Castillo’s slaying and held without bail for violating terms of bail in his pending reckless discharge case.

Rodriguez, who received an 18-month prison sentence for reckless discharge of a firearm in 2019, was also ordered held without bail.

#8: “Highly active” gang member charged with killing rival over haircut — while on affordable bail | CWB Chicago

Dori: Durkan's failures, political correctness caused downtown Seattle shooting

People right away criticized me for blaming gangs when we did not know for sure who was responsible. Of course we knew it was gangs. I’m sick and tired of a squishy media that won’t speak the truth because it is so consumed with political correctness. Everybody knew exactly what happened last night.

We do not let the cops do their jobs. The cops know who the gang members and drug dealers are. They also know that if they see a drug transaction and write it up for the prosecutor’s office, it’s going to get kicked because it’s not a serious enough crime. And when prosecutors pursue criminals, judges let them walk free.

The two suspects in this downtown shooting have been arrested 44 times with 20 convictions and 21 times with 15 convictions. Marquise Tolbert, the one with 20 convictions, had three felonies last year alone.

You tell me how someone with three felonies in 2019 is walking around free and able to engage in a shootout that kills a woman and injures a bunch of other people, including a 9-year-old kid. Both Tolbert and William Tolliver, the other suspect, are just 24 years old.

They both have previously been arrested and charged with drive-by shootings and unlawful possession of a firearm in 2018. So the courts knew full well that these were gun-toting gang members. Why did our justice system let them walk free? Why do we place criminals above law-abiding citizens?

--------

Carmen Best repeated the lie they’ve been trying to feed all of us, that Seattle is a safe city. Seattle is heading toward the other leftist cities plagued with gun violence — Baltimore, Chicago, L.A. There is a common theme between the cities that have gun violence, and that is the parties that are in charge. Best said we would “stop these shootings far upstream.” No, we’re not going to. Your system had these guys, with multiple felony convictions, including gun felonies; you let them go.

How is it hypocritical of me a gun owner to say more guns in peoples hands = more shooting?

I wore out the old Crosman BB/pellet gun the 2nd year shooting Mice, Rats, Sparrows & Starlings that were eating the crop, destroying the farm equipment & buildings. I now have a .30 M1 carbine, 12GA Remington 870 Express Super Magnum, .22 Marlin Rifle tube feed w/scope, 9mm Beretta Nano to replace my stolen EAA Witness-P .45 ACP w/Laser & .177 Gamo Wildcat Whisper w/scope. Also 1,150 Rounds of Ammo!

It's not hypocritical, it's stupid....27 years of actual gun ownership in the U.S. shows it is stupid..........as more Americans own and carry guns, the gun murder and gun crime rate went down....not up.....

How do you explain that?

Over the last 27 years, we went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 19.4 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2019...guess what happened...

New Concealed Carry Report For 2020: 19.48 Million Permit Holders, 820,000 More Than Last Year despite many states shutting down issuing permits because of the Coronavirus - Crime Prevention Research Center

-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

This means that access to guns does not create gun crime........

Why do our democrat party controlled cities have gun crime problems?

1) the democrat party keeps releasing violent gun offenders...they have created a revolving door for criminals who use guns, and will release even the most serious gun offenders over and over again....why? Probably because they realise that normal people don't use their guns for crime, so if they want to push gun control, they need criminals to shoot people.....so they keep releasing them....

2) The democrat party keeps attacking the police.....driving the officers into not doing pro-active policing, cutting detective forces so that murders go unsolved..........

Here.....listen to the truth....democrat party policies causing the crime in the U.S...

How did you manage to get a gun stolon?
Leave it in your car unsecured?
Because you're a gun owner. It's hypocritical to say you can own guns but others cant.
So what makes you so special?

And they talk about Florida LOL

In real life, people who felt the need to carry have been doing so all along, legal or not. and, since it became law it turns out it's still hoodrats and barrio bums doing most of the murders, so nothing has changed.

Forum List

Back