test your point shooting speed.

srlip

May 5, 2014
hold your hand fully outstretched in front of you, at waist height, palm down, penny on the back of your hand. when you are ready, just reach for your gun and let the penny drop. if you can beat the coin to a 1 handed hip point shot, you are fairly fast. Just dryfiring, no accuracy, here, no reaction time, either.

if you can drop the coin, get your pistol up to eye level, both hands on it, and beat the coin to the ground, you're truly fast.

if you can put the coin on the back of your weak side hand, drop it, use that hand to clear a t shirt out of the way, and beat the coin with your concealed draw, you're as fast as me. :) I wear a belt gun at the navel, trigger guard at belt level. I can't always beat the coin, and I start with the coin hand very close to my belly. :)

hold both your arms fully outstretched in front of you, side by side. In one hand is your pistol, in the other hand are a pair of soda cans. When you are ready, drop the cans, step back with one foot, and hit both cans before they can hit the deck. Learn this with Airsoft, and if you don'[t step back, you're going to shoot your foot.

hold your rifle with the butt on your hip, safety engaged, finger outside of the trigger guard. With your other hand, toss up a pair of soda cans and hit them before they can fall.

shooting has to be above 45 degree angle, with clear sky behind the cans, or you'll miss. Learn with the visible in flight, 1/2c per shot, silent and safe Airsoft gun first. A .22 conversion unit is a big help with learning a fighting rifle. So is a sound suppressor.

With AR's, the line of sight is so high above the line of the bore that you have to aim at the top of the can in order to hit it. It also is a huge help to v notch the 'normal range" wing of the peep sight, and build up "ears" out of JB Weld epoxy. the peep sight is a bit slow for such work. A red dot optic aint all that great, either.

blacken the epoxy with a magic marker. A trigger job helps, too. The NM 2 stage unit, from RRA, rock river arms, $150, is a good choice.

soda cans are 2"x4" marks. So hitting them is like hitting 12"x24" man torsos at 6x the distance from your muzzle.

none, but I came real close, one time, nicked one with a smg that I was working on. :) It slam fired without a recoil spring, just the weight of the bolt moving forward from gravity.

anyone who works at REAL draw speed, a lot, has had it happen, usually several times, but most lie about it a lot. Massaad Ayoob says that if you dryfire in your home, it better be at your kevlar vest, set in front of your fireplace! I think that he's very correct in that evaluation.

Forum List

Back