Terminated from job for army experience.

Gibson89

Rookie
May 22, 2013
Gonzales, TX
I'll cut to the chase.

I served 4 years 11 months in Army as truck driver and equipment operator. Medical discharged for migraines April 2012

Got hired on as a driver for a company in Texas that hauls Schumlberger equipment. The operations manager (which is prior service) contacted me and recruited me to their company. After two days of orientation I was terminated because headquarters HR wouldn't accept my army driving experience. When asked if a memo from my units CO stating my training, qualifications, and experience the operations manager indicated that would not help me or enable me to remain employed. No one from the company contacted my unit to confirm my service or experience when I gave them several ways to contact them on my application/resume. Is there any way to fight this or a person I can contact about this issue? I want to work for this company and have been unemployed for almost a year now.

Devin

Last edited:
You can't force a company to hire you regardless how much you might want to work for that company. It could very well be that regardless of your experience as a driver, your state might have some sort of quirky law that requires drivers to have attended a state approved driving school. You also have to consider that over-the-road truckers are required to have a physical every year and there might be something noted in your military records that would preclude you from driving for health reasons. Did you pass your CDL test? Or maybe it's none of the above and the company just doesn't want to hire you.

I have had my CDL with hazmat, tanker, doubles/triples for 4 years as well, also have a current health card (required state driving physical). No driving accidents and 1 moving violation in past 5 years. The company operations manager said army experience was a big plus. In Texas no formal training is required to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

I know I can't make a company hire me but I was already employed by this company and terminated because of having army driving experience.

I have had my CDL with hazmat, tanker, doubles/triples for 4 years as well, also have a current health card (required state driving physical). No driving accidents and 1 moving violation in past 5 years. The company operations manager said army experience was a big plus. In Texas no formal training is required to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

I know I can't make a company hire me but I was already employed by this company and terminated because of having army driving experience.

Maybe your Army training put you in the position of being "over qualified." Wish, I could help you man, but don't have any more ideas.

Gibson, you could try TDOCJ. They have some driving jobs, and if serving made you good at self-defense that's a plus. It has pretty good job security.

Best wishes, sir. :salute::salute::salute:

Gibson, you could try . They have some driving jobs, and if serving made you good at self-defense that's a plus. It has pretty good job security.

Best wishes, sir. :salute::salute::salute:

Thanks I will research them.

Thanks to the others who replied as well.

Sounds like you should be talking to a competent lawyer, not a bunch of strangers on a political forum.

It's not a company problem...it's an insurance problem.

I see this situation crop up all the time.

The insurance company will not insure a driver that doesn't have 1 to 2 years experience in the last five years.

This information usually comes from a DAC (Drive-A-Check) report.

The military does not subscribe to DAC report updates.

The insurance company attempts to verify the applicants driving experience, but the DOD either cannot or will not verify that the applicant has 1 to 2 years experience in a class 8 (M915A1 type) line-haul combination with air-brakes.

Without the verification of experience, the insurer will not underwrite a driver.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back