Term Limits?

Should there be term limits for all members of Congress?

• Yes. I fully support two terms of service and you're out of there.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No. They can serve in Congress forever if they keep getting elected to the position.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I don't have a clue what is best.

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
Once again you need an Amendment to the Constitution to make term limits and it solves nothing at all. It simply replaces long serving career politicians with money grubbers that will serve two terms and then cash in on the connections they make in Congress. It is undemocratic and treats voters like idiots, unable to know what they want and who they want representing them.

IF you claim you are against Nanny State laws and directives then you can not in the same breath claim you are for Term Limits, as they are just like the 3 strikes law and the No tolerance policies, it is designed to relieve that burdensome thing called responsibility from the voters and control it through the actions of the Government.

We are a Republic but our election process is Democracy.

Small-d and by common usage, yes it is. Democracy as a system is basically mob rule, and we have specific protections against that sort of thing.

Which sort of begs the question of trying to crowd as many people as you can ito DC. DO they ever listen ?---

Do pigs fly?
I'm sure there's a direct correlation between how well they listen and how many of thier constituents were likely to be present. They're assholes, not idiots.

Small-d and by common usage, yes it is. Democracy as a system is basically mob rule, and we have specific protections against that sort of thing.

Which sort of begs the question of trying to crowd as many people as you can ito DC. DO they ever listen ?---

Do pigs fly?
I'm sure there's a direct correlation between how well they listen and how many of thier constituents were likely to be present. They're assholes, not idiots.

dreamer

Although they do seem to figure out a way to get people who do nothing but complain about them to keep re-electing them....

Although they do seem to figure out a way to get people who do nothing but complain about them to keep re-electing them....

high dollar dog and pony shows a couple months before the election does it everytime.
They're all fuckers.

Or is it just that too often the opposite "side" gives up and runs such a piece of human garbage, or else such a complete nobody, that there is no contest from the start?

There are many eligible voters who don't vote and, of those that do, some are uninformed voters. Some see a campaign sign on the way to the polling station and that politician is the only name they recognize on the ballot so they vote for her/him.

We reap what we sew. We have been told from childhood that voting is our civic duty but some of us eligible voters can't even hold down a job. Maybe the apathy of decades of freedom has rendered us toothless.

I'm not sure where the apathy comes from, probably like everything else mutliple and complex sources, but you can't blame freedom. Sorry!

Apathy as in, "Oh well, we're free now we don't have to worry about it."
Apathy as in, "I'm not going to vote, I don't have time."

The founders were so successful, in crafting our form of government, because of the decades of oppression they and their ancestors suffered.

absolutely not.....

it takes power away from our fundamental right to vote

you don't like them, vote them out.....term limits are stupid

with that said....my exception to this is.....with regards to the potus....that unique position in our government seems to justify term limits.....you have one person, the executive and this country was founded in part on getting away from tryant kings....

the senate and congress are just one out of many.....and lets not forget life terms for the judicial branch....

If we had some basis for our vote besides choosing the perceived lesser of two evils based on artificial labels and / or how much money a given candidate can raise, term limits might not be necessary.

If a President is elected time and time again by the people of this Republic, said President cannot be considered a tyrant king.

Repeal the XXII Amendment.

sure he or she can.....the executive position in our government enjoys great power.....hence why that branch has only one head.....if you're going to be silly and say....well, that still doesn't make them exactly like a king....ok.....you win....but if you want to be serious and admit that a president, especially one that has no sunset on his reign as president, will not gather power akin to a king.....explain why....

There was nothing silly much less incorrect about my post. A President who is elected time and time again by the people of this Republic via the electoral college, does not become a king. It appears you don't understand the significant difference between a Monarchy and a Republic.

The best difference between a 'king' and a 'president' is the position of the prince.

How many complete assholes were left in charge of the assets of a country because king daddy had only one chip off the ol' block and he was skilled somewhere between village idiot and selfish mercenary?

Sometimes I'm impressed at how far we've come as a species.

The first generation to finally figure out how to pass the assets of this world on to the next generation in a fair and equitable manor may see their children reach the stars.

Last edited:
I believe that there should be term limits on the people elected to Congress. I think two terms is more than enough time to spend as one of the country's lawmakers. This doesn't mean you can do two terms in the House and then two terms in the Senate and keep bouncing back and forth. Two terms, regardless of which house of Congress and you're out of there. I also do not believe that Congressmen or Congresswomen should get a lifetime pension after serving a single term in Congress. If there are term limits, I don't think they should get a pension at all. In addition, I believe that their free medical care should end the day they depart from their service to the country.

Please participate in the poll. What say you?

Term Limits?

Term limits are not the problem..campaign financing is.

I can see merit on both sides here, term limits being about money and corrupt influence while no term limits is about freedom of choice.
Overturn the dumbass decision that made political campaign contributions "free speech" or else remove the money from 1st Am protection, then introduce REAL campaign finance reform and close the revolving door between Congress and K Street. That would eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) the problem without resorting to term limits.

Mr Obama got my vote because he said he would 'change the fundamental way Washington DC does business'.

What a fucking disappointment.

One speech last February calling 'bullshit' on the corporate bullshitters behind the mercenary lobbyists on K Street and then he falls right in line with their lap-dog congress.

I wonder what they have on him.......:eusa_think:

Last edited:

high dollar dog and pony shows a couple months before the election does it everytime.
They're all fuckers.

That, and they can count on fear, gerrymandered districts, complexity and lack of choices to make elections in America as close to being tainted as is legally possible.

They're all fuckers!

absolutely not.....

it takes power away from our fundamental right to vote

you don't like them, vote them out.....term limits are stupid

with that said....my exception to this is.....with regards to the potus....that unique position in our government seems to justify term limits.....you have one person, the executive and this country was founded in part on getting away from tryant kings....

the senate and congress are just one out of many.....and lets not forget life terms for the judicial branch....

If we had some basis for our vote besides choosing the perceived lesser of two evils based on artificial labels and / or how much money a given candidate can raise, term limits might not be necessary.

Ain't that the truth.

Mr Obama got my vote because he said he would 'change the fundamental way Washington DC does business'.

What a fucking disappointment.

One speech last February calling 'bullshit' on the corporate bullshitters behind the mercenary lobbyists on K Street and then he falls right in line with their lap-dog congress.

I wonder what they have on him.......:eusa_think:

Nothing, he played us well. He made all these campaign promises that Liberals could finally believe in. So far, he's turned out to be nothing but a farce in my opinion. Much better than McCain/Palin, but that's honestly not saying much.

Forum List

Back