Term Limits?

Should there be term limits for all members of Congress?

• Yes. I fully support two terms of service and you're out of there.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No. They can serve in Congress forever if they keep getting elected to the position.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I don't have a clue what is best.

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
I'm still trying to figure out how you guys can honestly think increasing the power of special interests over elections is going to result in more representative outcomes.

The political parties themselves qualify as "special interests", Polk. They're nothing but private clubs with their own agendas, after all. If you have a proposal for getting rid of their influence, I'm all ears.

There is a big difference between a group of people who share a broad common agenda and groups lobbying for narrow protections for specific groups. However, if you view political parties as the problem, term limits won't help with that either. If anything, candidates will be more dependent on party infrastructure than they already are.

How so? The parties merely adjust their agendas to provide protections for the smaller specific groups that put them in power. I suppose you could say they're the ultimate middlemen in that regard. But both are doing the same thing in the end.

But I'm not pushing term limits, if you'll notice. ;)

The best answer to this question and any other question is to throw all of Congress OUT!

The only infallible, unstoppable, guaranteed way to get a truly new Congress is : NEVER REELECT ANY INCUMBENT! AND DO IT EVERY ELECTION!

Most folks think I am too unreasonable in asking everyone to NEVER REELECT ANYONE IN CONGRESS. They think it’s an ‘extremist’ position. But that’s the whole point! Congress will never listen to us UNLESS we scare the bejesus out of them! To drive the point home, NEVER REELECT ANYONE IN CONGRESS, AND DO IT EVERY ELECTION!

The closer we get to a “Voter’s One-Term Congress”, the closer we’ll get to a “Citizen’s Congress”.

There is only one way to make this happen : The American voter must IMPOSE term limits on Congress by NEVER REELECTING ANYONE IN CONGRESS, AND DO IT EVERY ELECTION! In other words, don't let anyone serve more than one term. That's the only way to teach them that the voter is the boss! The “one term limit” can be eased AFTER citizens get control of Congress.

Congress will never allow us to constitutionally term limit them by an amendment. Our only choice is to NEVER REELECT them. All of them!

Remember too, it makes no difference who you vote for, as long as it is NEVER any incumbent.

I believe that even a little success in a campaign to NEVER REELECT ANYONE IN CONGRESS would move us a long way toward a revolutionary change in American politics, much like 1776. Some of the reasons in favor of this approach:

• It gives us a one-term, term limited Congress without using amendments
• It would be supported by 70% of the country who want term limits for Congress
• It is completely non-partisan
• If repeated, it ends career politicians dominating Congress
• It opens the way to a “citizen Congress”
• It ends the seniority system that keeps freshmen powerless
• It doesn’t cost you any money. But you MUST vote! Just don’t vote for an incumbent
• It is the only guaranteed, infallible, unstoppable way to “Throw ALL the Bums Out”
• It takes effect immediately the day after Election Day
• If it doesn’t work, do it again and again! It will work eventually, I promise.

NEVER REELECT ANYONE IN CONGRESS. AND DO IT EVERY ELECTION!

Nelson Lee Walker of tenurecorrupts.com Saratoga, CA

There's a guy in MA who is running for Kennedy's U.S. Senate seat who is for term limits, pay scales, and the abolishment of campaign war chests. He's an outlier, but he sounds pretty different from the other candidates that are running. Apparently he's been collecting signatures on his nomination papers personally. That takes determination...

He has a campaign website: zschauforsenate.com

I believe that there should be term limits on the people elected to Congress. I think two terms is more than enough time to spend as one of the country's lawmakers. This doesn't mean you can do two terms in the House and then two terms in the Senate and keep bouncing back and forth. Two terms, regardless of which house of Congress and you're out of there. I also do not believe that Congressmen or Congresswomen should get a lifetime pension after serving a single term in Congress. If there are term limits, I don't think they should get a pension at all. In addition, I believe that their free medical care should end the day they depart from their service to the country.

Please participate in the poll. What say you?

YES
YES
YES
YES
Did I say yes?

HELL YES

I would like to see two consecutive term limit in Senate and 3 consecutive term limit in House. Not lifetime limits.

If a state wants and likes a certain Congressperson, they should be able to vote for them again.

I would like to see two consecutive term limit in Senate and 3 consecutive term limit in House. Not lifetime limits.

If a state wants and likes a certain Congressperson, they should be able to vote for them again.

I would support that. So long as there's something in there that guarantees some turnover.

absolutely YES !!!!. get this old decaying garbage and shit out of there. their toally asleep at the wheel. even if takes a fire hose to flush it all out.

http://www.termlimits.org/

:clap2:
The core problem is not the employees. They are a fruit of the root problem. The problem falls on the shoulders of the employers. If the employers are truly dissatisfied with their employees, that dissatisfaction can be easily taken care of, by not supporting them in the next election.

That is not what the issue truly is though. There are a lot of authoritarians in this thread, who don't like who their fellow Americans vote for. They want to try and control their fellow Americans, and term limits is a means to that end for them.

Why should you have the right to tell me who I can and cannot vote for, much less tell someone in my state, that they cannot campaign for office again? Explain to me how that is small government I believe in personal responsibility and accountability thinking.

We already have term limits. They are called elections.

It truly is pathetic, that so many people want to send the message to Washington, that they shouldn't be employers in the first place. "I don't know what the heck I am doing. I can't be trusted to make decisions. I want the federal government to have power it shouldn't have in the first place." That is what you are saying, when you call for term limits.

If you want better employees, then start being better employers. It really is that simple.

absolutely not.....

it takes power away from our fundamental right to vote

you don't like them, vote them out.....term limits are stupid

with that said....my exception to this is.....with regards to the potus....that unique position in our government seems to justify term limits.....you have one person, the executive and this country was founded in part on getting away from tryant kings....

the senate and congress are just one out of many.....and lets not forget life terms for the judicial branch....

absolutely not.....

with that said....my exception to this is.....with regards to the potus....that unique position in our government seems to justify term limits.....you have one person, the executive and this country was founded in part on getting away from tryant kings....

the senate and congress are just one out of many.....and lets not forget life terms for the judicial branch....
If a President is elected time and time again by the people of this Republic, said President cannot be considered a tyrant king.

Repeal the XXII Amendment.

absolutely not.....

If a President is elected time and time again by the people of this Republic, said President cannot be considered a tyrant king.

sure he or she can.....the executive position in our government enjoys great power.....hence why that branch has only one head.....if you're going to be silly and say....well, that still doesn't make them exactly like a king....ok.....you win....but if you want to be serious and admit that a president, especially one that has no sunset on his reign as president, will not gather power akin to a king.....explain why....

absolutely not.....

sure he or she can.....the executive position in our government enjoys great power.....hence why that branch has only one head.....if you're going to be silly and say....well, that still doesn't make them exactly like a king....ok.....you win....but if you want to be serious and admit that a president, especially one that has no sunset on his reign as president, will not gather power akin to a king.....explain why....

There was nothing silly much less incorrect about my post. A President who is elected time and time again by the people of this Republic via the electoral college, does not become a king. It appears you don't understand the significant difference between a Monarchy and a Republic.

There was nothing silly much less incorrect about my post. A President who is elected time and time again by the people of this Republic via the electoral college, does not become a king. It appears you don't understand the significant difference between a Monarchy and a Republic.

and its clear you don't know what analogy or akin means.....

and its clear you don't know what analogy or akin means.....
There is no akin or proper analogy with king and Republic. You seem to believe differently, As I said, your understanding of a Monarchy and a Republic is flawed.

If you want to prove me wrong, you will need to use facts and not political spin.

Term limits would be unconstitutional and definitely should be frowned down upon. I love how some people always talk about "Democracy" and yet want to implement this. It's up to the American people to decide whether they want a congressperson for more than two terms or not. Forcing the person out of office in 2 terms is not very of a Democracy in my opinion. What if the people would support that person?

As it was once said, we deserve the people we vote in. It's up to the people to vote out someone. All the money in the world cannot buy common sense.

Term limits would be unconstitutional and definitely should be frowned down upon. I love how some people always talk about "Democracy" and yet want to implement this. It's up to the American people to decide whether they want a congressperson for more than two terms or not. Forcing the person out of office in 2 terms is not very of a Democracy in my opinion. What if the people would support that person?

As it was once said, we deserve the people we vote in. It's up to the people to vote out someone. All the money in the world cannot buy common sense.

We are not a Democracy.

I can see merit on both sides here, term limits being about money and corrupt influence while no term limits is about freedom of choice.
Overturn the dumbass decision that made political campaign contributions "free speech" or else remove the money from 1st Am protection, then introduce REAL campaign finance reform and close the revolving doort between Congress and K Street. That would eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) the problem without resorting to term limits.

Forum List

Back