Tenure Fight moves to NY

Tenure, well designed, prevents teaching jobs from being mere political plums.

What we have now is NOT well designed and had more ill effect than good.

I fear the baby is about to get tossed with the bathwater.

While I loathe what the present tenure system had done to education I fear what total elimination of it will bring. Imagine a change in a local school board resulting in mass firings of teachers who are of the wrong party and replacement with those whose main qualification is they joined the party currently in power.

Think it won't happen?

No, really?

How is it ill defined? What is problematic?
Tenure, as generally designed currently, fails to account for much more than time-in-service. To fire a teacher whose pupils are not being taught is well nigh impossible. Under most tenure rules a person who shows up and sits at the desk, ignoring the students entirely, is pretty close to untouchable. Especially if he/she refrains from touching a student in any way and speaks not a word to them lest any word be suddenly incorrect.

Mediocrity is being forced into the system.

How is it ill defined? What is problematic?
Tenure, as generally designed currently, fails to account for much more than time-in-service. To fire a teacher whose pupils are not being taught is well nigh impossible. Under most tenure rules a person who shows up and sits at the desk, ignoring the students entirely, is pretty close to untouchable. Especially if he/she refrains from touching a student in any way and speaks not a word to them lest any word be suddenly incorrect.

Mediocrity is being forced into the system.

No. It's not impossible. What you want is the ability to fire without cause.

Why is it so hard for you guys to be straight up about it?

Your opinion, that.

I want the ability to remove teachers who don't teach. You want to protect the incompetent.

Why is it so hard for you liberals to be straight up about that?

Your opinion, that.

I want the ability to remove teachers who don't teach. You want to protect the incompetent.

Why protect the incompetent? You need to prove that they are incompetent. You know, due process.

Your opinion, that.

Why protect the incompetent? You need to prove that they are incompetent. You know, due process.

From what I know, it's not that hard to fire teachers. At least in some states. This is what I know from a couple people in the business including a niece who's a teacher. It just that proof is needed of incompetency. Like every bureaucracy, there are many a-holes that would like to fire at will. What's wrong with having proof before firing?

Nobody wants to fire good teachers. Dont you find it odd these efforts are happening in deep blue states? Fact that high % of union teachers dont want their kids in union schools might be clue something isnt right.

From what I know, it's not that hard to fire teachers. At least in some states. This is what I know from a couple people in the business including a niece who's a teacher. It just that proof is needed of incompetency. Like every bureaucracy, there are many a-holes that would like to fire at will. What's wrong with having proof before firing?

What you know, like every other subject, is very little.

It?s nearly impossible to fire tenured teachers | New York Post

Your opinion, that.

It's not that hard at all. Yet, ask these people to show the policy that hinders the process and they refuse to say it.

When a Democrat hack sets out to protect incompetency there is nothing one can say to him/her/it to change the "facts" their union masters have put ijn what passes for their mindsl

This protection of incompetence is an absolute requirement if schools are to continue to crank out unthinking Democrat votebots.

Forum List

Back