Teen Mothers and Adoption

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
After reading the train wreck that is the Bristol Palin thread and her being a spokesperson for teen motherhood, it made me wonder......

Wouldn't it have been better if they chose a teen that gave her baby up for adoption?

Now I know Bristol Palin has a lot of family support and money to help her care for her child, but most teens don't.

So.........................

Seems to me a girl who is in her teens and not ready to take up the responsibility of teen motherhood and doesn't want to abort her baby would consider giving up her baby for adoption.

There are many families out there waiting to be parents. I know first hand, my brother and his wife adopted 2 children because my SIL had Lupus and couldn't have children. One of my best friends adopted a boy a few years ago and has been on the waiting list for another child.

What do you think?

It's not a one off. The Candie Foundation does a lot of campaigns surrounding teen mothers. Why does everyone think this is an 'either/or' situation? It's not. Maybe they should do a campaign focusing on adoption. But that does not negate the validity of having Bristol Palin emphasis that it's not a smart move to have a child when you're still a child yourself.

Maybe our celebrity culture should stop glamorizing single parenthood and maybe celebrities should stop using their kids as fashion accessories?

It's not a one off. The Candie Foundation does a lot of campaigns surrounding teen mothers. Why does everyone think this is an 'either/or' situation? It's not. Maybe they should do a campaign focusing on adoption. But that does not negate the validity of having Bristol Palin emphasis that it's not a smart move to have a child when you're still a child yourself.

Maybe our celebrity culture should stop glamorizing single parenthood and maybe celebrities should stop using their kids as fashion accessories?

Yet The Candie Foundation is using a "celebrity" as their spokesperson.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........................

I have two adopted brothers, one of their biological mother's was a teen. The other a cheating wife.

And as for the ad, I think the Mtv show does more to show what it is really like , than Bristol does. I have seen an episode where the girl gave up the baby. We also need to stop depending on girls like Bristol Palin to help us get through to our daughters. She is a terrible example, and we should be the ones talk to our children about all that, not some girl who is making a big pay check off of having a famous mother.

i think it is a total clusterfuck to have a person like bristol palin as a spokesperson for a cause like this. it is counterproductive, it is expensive, it is moronic, but they can turn it around now.

by distancing themselves, apologizing for thinking that raising awareness by choosing and exorbitantly paying a celebutart as a spokesfreak was a good idea, and moving on.

using the awareness raised by now switching to real persons, who struggle and made it.
to persons who struggled and did not make it and decided to give the child up for adoption, like you said.
by telling the story of real persons who failed and died, etc.

The thing is, Bristol's story doesn't say that. She is a terrible example.
She is making large amounts of money and going on DWTS. In reality that isn't how it is for teen mothers. Her story says, if you are a teen mom, you can still become a celebrity, when we all know that is not going to happen.

I have two adopted brothers, one of their biological mother's was a teen. The other a cheating wife.

And as for the ad, I think the Mtv show does more to show what it is really like , than Bristol does. I have seen an episode where the girl gave up the baby. We also need to stop depending on girls like Bristol Palin to help us get through to our daughters. She is a terrible example, and we should be the ones talk to our children about all that, not some girl who is making a big pay check off of having a famous mother.

Rich girl hater. :eusa_whistle:

No, I just had a best friend who got pregnant in high school. Her life was nothing like Bristol Palin's. She deserves to be the spokesman over that spoiled brat.
Her story is nothing like Bristol's that is for sure. Her mom kept her from seeing the boyfriend, even had a restraining order, and then he ended up dying when the baby was two months old and she has done it alone the whole time. That is the type of stuff that happens, not invites to DWTS.

it is also generally a good idea to ignore input by kim kardashian style posters.

Cali of course relates to Bristol, so she doesn't understand that the majority of people are not spoiled rich girls who have everything handed to them.:razz:

No, I just had a best friend who got pregnant in high school. Her life was nothing like Bristol Palin's. She deserves to be the spokesman over that spoiled brat.
Her story is nothing like Bristol's that is for sure. Her mom kept her from seeing the boyfriend, even had a restraining order, and then he ended up dying when the baby was two months old and she has done it alone the whole time. That is the type of stuff that happens, not invited to DWTS.

and those are stories that HAPPEN, that is why a serious organization should stay away from the celebritarts and choose the people who had REAL problems.

how the fuck is this hard to understand or relate to.

Her story is nothing like Bristol's that is for sure. Her mom kept her from seeing the boyfriend, even had a restraining order, and then he ended up dying when the baby was two months old and she has done it alone the whole time. That is the type of stuff that happens, not invites to DWTS.

oooo I know---lets have an election or a beauty pageant !
I'm protesting if men aren't allowed to compete too !

it is also generally a good idea to ignore input by kim kardashian style posters.

Cali of course relates to Bristol, so she doesn't understand that the majority of people are not spoiled rich girls who have everything handed to them.:razz:

yeah, but they had a budget! hahahahahahahahahahahaha

and worked HARD!

and when they did not succeed, well. everyone is an idiot, just draw some money from the trust fund. or from wherever.

fiscal responsibility of the brat.

Bristol was already on DWTS. ;)

We wouldn't want any single mothers to think they too could be happy and dance and stuff.

Murphy Brown, pick up the white courtesy phone....;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

We wouldn't want any single mothers to think they too could be happy and dance and stuff.

I am not saying she shouldn't have been on the show, but she is a terrible role model. 99.9% of teen mothers are not going to be on DWTS. Just sayin!

I know it is hard for you right wingers, but sometimes these teen need to be shown the reality and not filled full of bullshit. Some want to cut sex ed, but want Bristol Palin has a spokesperson, sounds like a good idea to me.:lol:

After reading the train wreck that is the Bristol Palin thread and her being a spokesperson for teen motherhood, it made me wonder......

Wouldn't it have been better if they chose a teen that gave her baby up for adoption?

Now I know Bristol Palin has a lot of family support and money to help her care for her child, but most teens don't.

So.........................

Seems to me a girl who is in her teens and not ready to take up the responsibility of teen motherhood and doesn't want to abort her baby would consider giving up her baby for adoption.

There are many families out there waiting to be parents. I know first hand, my brother and his wife adopted 2 children because my SIL had Lupus and couldn't have children. One of my best friends adopted a boy a few years ago and has been on the waiting list for another child.

What do you think?

I'm a big fan of teen moms putting kids up for adoption because I was a kid born to a teenage mom who put me up for adoption. My parents - the people who adopted me - were great parents. My biological mother and her family - nice people in many ways- are train wrecks. I consider myself to have won the lottery of life having been given up for adoption.

Forum List

Back