Teen given 3 1/2-7 years in prison for setting boy on fire

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The judge said he recognizes that Tiggle has serious mental-health issues, and because of that he will recommend that Tiggle be placed at the State Correctional Institution at Pine Grove in Central Pennsylvania, which specializes in treating young adult offenders.
After his prison term, Tiggle will do four years' probation under the supervision of a mental-health unit, the judge said.
Tiggle has not been diagnosed with any specific disorder. The judge said it could be because he hasn't been fully examined.
It was about 5:30 p.m. on July 8 when Tiggle approached the younger boy on the porch of a house on Hazel Avenue near 60th Street.
Spears, who is now 12, testified at a preliminary hearing in Family Court last year that he was visiting a 9-year-old friend at that house when Tiggle walked by with hand sanitizer. The victim said the 9-year-old asked Tiggle for some hand sanitizer and Tiggle sprayed some on his hand.
Tiggle, the victim said, then sprayed hand sanitizer on the left side of his body, took out a BIC lighter, and lit the flammable fluid.
Spears, who had been shirtless that summer day because he just came back from a pool, said he swiped himself down, then rushed home.

Read more at Teen given 3 1/2-7 years in prison for setting boy on fire

My question is, how do you come to the conclusion of a serious mental health issue without a diagnosis that admittedly was not found due to not having been fully examined? I must be missing something.

The judge said he recognizes that Tiggle has serious mental-health issues, and because of that he will recommend that Tiggle be placed at the State Correctional Institution at Pine Grove in Central Pennsylvania, which specializes in treating young adult offenders.
After his prison term, Tiggle will do four years' probation under the supervision of a mental-health unit, the judge said.
Tiggle has not been diagnosed with any specific disorder. The judge said it could be because he hasn't been fully examined.
It was about 5:30 p.m. on July 8 when Tiggle approached the younger boy on the porch of a house on Hazel Avenue near 60th Street.
Spears, who is now 12, testified at a preliminary hearing in Family Court last year that he was visiting a 9-year-old friend at that house when Tiggle walked by with hand sanitizer. The victim said the 9-year-old asked Tiggle for some hand sanitizer and Tiggle sprayed some on his hand.
Tiggle, the victim said, then sprayed hand sanitizer on the left side of his body, took out a BIC lighter, and lit the flammable fluid.
Spears, who had been shirtless that summer day because he just came back from a pool, said he swiped himself down, then rushed home.

My question is, how do you come to the conclusion of a serious mental health issue without a diagnosis that admittedly was not found due to not having been fully examined? I must be missing something.

They should wait until he's 18 years-old, then he should be executed. A monster.

They should wait until he's 18 years-old, then he should be executed. A monster.
He was charged as an adult. They should have put the option of attempted murder on the jury to consider. I believe he is a monster. That sentence was too light. Some people are just evil.

Anyone who does that has a serious disorder, , if sounds like he didn't realize what he was doing, or if he did , he is deranged. A normal person does not do that knowingly.

Anyone who does that has a serious disorder, , if sounds like he didn't realize what he was doing, or if he did , he is deranged. A normal person does not do that knowingly.
You know you are in trouble if you come across a person who mutilates or kills animals. This is worse. No hope for him.

Well, I was thinking that if he wasn't completely tested then it's possible he was not fully capable of being tested at the time or they lack the funds to complete that type of testing. I can see he was ordered a "mental health evaluation" but that may just mean an assessment instead of a psychological evaluation. So, what happens when he is released back into society?

Forum List

Back