Ted Stevens Dead in Plane Crash in Alaska..

You know, I often wonder to the purpose of threads such as these, aside from the initial announcement of the death in question. Many post their condolences, express shock at the tragedy, their disbelief. Why? It's not as though anyone from the family of the deceased will be logging in to see how we felt. Very few of us have actually been touched by the work of most of these politicians, unlike an actor or musician or poet who may touch many in some roundabout way through their work.

Then we have others who feel compelled to point to the faults and flaws of the decedent, hoping to somehow make them seem unworthy of the sentiments be expressed. They feel they need to tear the person down. Why? This usually only results in a pissing match. "He sucked!" "Yeah well your dead guy sucked more!" "Nuh-uh!"

Really? Is that what these sort of threads are about? The dead politician threads? Just a quick route to The Flame Zone? A chance to cross swords, see whose dick is bigger? It sure seems that way.

Fuck. A person, several people, died. That's sad. Regardless of their sins, none of which strike me as particularly heinous, this is a tragedy that should not be wished upon anyone.

You stay classy, USMB.

Also, I removed the ? from the title since it's confirmed at this point what happened.

You know, I often wonder to the purpose of threads such as these, aside from the initial announcement of the death in question. Many post their condolences, express shock at the tragedy, their disbelief. Why? It's not as though anyone from the family of the deceased will be logging in to see how we felt. Very few of us have actually been touched by the work of most of these politicians, unlike an actor or musician or poet who may touch many in some roundabout way through their work.

Then we have others who feel compelled to point to the faults and flaws of the decedent, hoping to somehow make them seem unworthy of the sentiments be expressed. They feel they need to tear the person down. Why? This usually only results in a pissing match. "He sucked!" "Yeah well your dead guy sucked more!" "Nuh-uh!"

Really? Is that what these sort of threads are about? The dead politician threads? Just a quick route to The Flame Zone? A chance to cross swords, see whose dick is bigger? It sure seems that way.

Fuck. A person, several people, died. That's sad. Regardless of their sins, none of which strike me as particularly heinous, this is a tragedy that should not be wished upon anyone.

You stay classy, USMB.

How long have you been at USMB? Classy is not in the vocabulary. I'm sorry.

Not going to waste a tear over Ted Kennedy or Ted Stevens. Both had questionable morals and both get to answer for that to someone in a much better position than me to do so. Politicans take heed, what do you want your legacy to be?

Treating a D and a R the same. You libs happy yet?

It's not just the libs who will tell you there's a time and place for everything, and the thread announcing a man's untimely death - actually the deaths of five people, let's not lose sight of the others affected here - is not the time or place. It's called a sense of the appropriate, and of basic human decency and respect.

I know I'm not the only one who gets sick of seeing these things deteriorate into a food fight.

I also hear this place has a perfectly good Flame Zone, if you really feel the need to bash somebody about a plane crash with multiple victims, one of whom happens to be a former Senator. I was told we can all start threads there and everything. Amazing, isn't it?

RIP Sen Stevens

and for those talking about the type of plane
this is about the only means of transportation to get to some parts of Alaska, its equal to taking the bus or a car to a smaller town that has no airport in the lower 48

RIP Sen Stevens

and for those talking about the type of plane
this is about the only means of transportation to get to some parts of Alaska, its equal to taking the bus or a car to a smaller town that has no airport in the lower 48

Probably one of the top reasons why I wouldn't want to live in a place like Alaska. Not a knock on the state, I just like staying on the ground thank you very much.

You won't catch me on one...

We Love roadtrippin' anyway.

:)

peace...

If the alternative is a prop plane, I'm taking the car.

Sometimes for reimbursement purposes I'm required to book a flight rather than use a car. Last time I went to Ithaca my wife used a prop plane and it was the worst. I'd probably pay for the trip out of pocket rather than get on one again. Especially now I have kids.

I'm not a fan of Flying in general...

Haven't flown since 2007, MeThinks...

peace...

I generally tunnel.

tunnel_boring_machine12.jpg

This is me on my morning commute.

If the alternative is a prop plane, I'm taking the car.

Sometimes for reimbursement purposes I'm required to book a flight rather than use a car. Last time I went to Ithaca my wife used a prop plane and it was the worst. I'd probably pay for the trip out of pocket rather than get on one again. Especially now I have kids.

I'm not a fan of Flying in general...

Haven't flown since 2007, MeThinks...

peace...

I generally tunnel.

tunnel_boring_machine12.jpg

This is me on my morning commute.
not that many tunnels here in Maine, so your sleeping on the job
LOL

I like watching the liberals celebrate his death. Remember: a FORMER Republican Senator died. You guys lost Byrd, so I don't think the score is quite even yet.

Either way. Stephens' death doesn't affect politics, and it doesn't affect me. Sorry for his family's loss, but worse things could happen.

A conviction that may have been unjust in the first place since the prosecutors withheld exculpatory evidence. That's not justice.

I do not know if he was guilty or not and neither do you - but like any political figure, his his record needs to be looked at in full and I don't see the scandal outweighing the service.

I'm not arguing a legal case or Justice (which is blind). The prosecuting team was a disgrace. His career record mitigates his full service, but his unethical behavior and more led to his leaving in disgrace and soiling his reputation.

Agree.

I've put nothing on you.

What were the charges and the evidence -- both that put forward and that left outside the case in court?

the man does not deserve the level of respect for his service that many are giving. his actions forfeited that. responsibility and accountability demand he not be treated like others who lent their service without disgracing the profession.

I disagree. He still deserves respect for the things he has done that has earned it.

he was once a great man. he threw that reputation away. truth sucks.

like I said, his service mitigates things, but it does not get to white wash his actions

But do his actions get to tar his service?

The actions tar his service because they were done in connection with his official duties.

WASHINGTON — Sen. Ted Stevens, the nation's longest-serving Republican senator and a major figure in Alaska politics since before statehood, was indicted Tuesday on seven felony counts of concealing more than a quarter of a million dollars in house renovations and gifts from a powerful oil contractor that lobbied him for government aid.

Stevens, 84, is the first sitting U.S. senator to face federal indictment since 1993. He declared, "I am innocent of these charges and intend to prove that."

He is accused of lying on his annual Senate financial disclosure reports between 1999 and 2006 _ an indictment that caps a lengthy FBI investigation that has upended Alaska politics

VECO was once the dominant force in Alaska's oil services industry. Its founder, Allen, and vice president, Rick Smith, have pleaded guilty to bribing state lawmakers to push legislation to help the company. That initial investigation into VECO spawned the Stevens probe.
-Ted Stevens Indicted On 7 Criminal Charges

There were many cons here who were respectful at Ted Kennedy's death. They're just not the ones you remember.

Lighten up, Dante. You can be a bigger and more honorable man than the clowns.

I did not attack Stevens, did I? I stated facts about his career. My condolences (no matter how irrelevant) go out to his family and friends, but the man did soil a profession I have loved most of my life.

holding a con Republican to a level of accountability they profess to, is not an attack

Really? Sounds like your looking for a pound of flesh. I was respectful in Kennedy's death, and I'm a conservative. There is a time and place for your ire. I don't think this thread is the place, Dev, Dante, or whatever.
PS....give me your infamous neg rep, and let's see what happens. okay?

there is NO ire here. :lol:

merely stating the once honorable Senator left in disgrace. His actions while in office.

My sympathy for his family and friends and my horror for how he passed away have nothing to do with politics.

a pound of flesh? hardly.

Not going to waste a tear over Ted Kennedy or Ted Stevens. Both had questionable morals and both get to answer for that to someone in a much better position than me to do so. Politicans take heed, what do you want your legacy to be?

nope. ted kennedy was pilloried for private actions involving an avoidable accident. while his actions at the time were criticized by kennedy himself, Kennedy was never accused of selling his office like Stevens was,

the double standard is yours

You stay classy, USMB.

one can as I have done, express sympathy for the family and friends while noting the very public disgrace the man brought upon himself.

For pointing out that the deceased was not viewed as a politician deserving very much respect in life, that some are now giving at his death, I get attacked?

that is the cheapness of small minds

I like watching the liberals celebrate his death. Remember: a FORMER Republican Senator died. You guys lost Byrd, so I don't think the score is quite even yet.

Either way. Stephens' death doesn't affect politics, and it doesn't affect me. Sorry for his family's loss, but worse things could happen.

name the liberals celebrating Stevens' death, and the instances of it.:evil:

nope. ted kennedy was pilloried for private actions involving an avoidable accident. while his actions at the time were criticized by kennedy himself, Kennedy was never accused of selling his office like Stevens was,

the double standard is yours

RIP to both of them

Ted Stevens, like a lot of polticians, got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. But, to his credit, he didn't drown it afterward.

Where did you go to watch that? Not this thread...cause I've looked. No celebration here.

I did not attack Stevens, did I? I stated facts about his career. My condolences (no matter how irrelevant) go out to his family and friends, but the man did soil a profession I have loved most of my life.

holding a con Republican to a level of accountability they profess to, is not an attack

Really? Sounds like your looking for a pound of flesh. I was respectful in Kennedy's death, and I'm a conservative. There is a time and place for your ire. I don't think this thread is the place, Dev, Dante, or whatever.
PS....give me your infamous neg rep, and let's see what happens. okay?

there is NO ire here. :lol:

merely stating the once honorable Senator left in disgrace. His actions while in office.

My sympathy for his family and friends and my horror for how he passed away have nothing to do with politics.

a pound of flesh? hardly.

Your a moron, Dante. You can't even comprehend what you write.....try rereading and comprehending with a clear mind.

Forum List

Back