Teacher Beats Student

Holy $hit! :eek:

OK, the boy said other teachers were watching? And they didn't try to stop it? If that is true, then they need to be held accountable too.

As for that insane teacher, she should NEVER be allowed around anyone under 21 again.

I'm not making excuses, but do you think the 13:1 student/teacher ratio is high for a school with almost 40% SpEd and 75% Poor?

No I don't Samson. I think a ratio of 13 students in a classroom with one teacher is damned near ideal. What WOULD suit? A ratio of one teacher per student?

If these students were more challenging behaviorally, there probably should have been a teacher's aid there too. As far as I know, federal money is available for just that purpose.

OK, the boy said other teachers were watching? And they didn't try to stop it? If that is true, then they need to be held accountable too.

As for that insane teacher, she should NEVER be allowed around anyone under 21 again.

I'm not making excuses, but do you think the 13:1 student/teacher ratio is high for a school with almost 40% SpEd and 75% Poor?

I have has as many as 21 special ed students in my classroom all day long, without any assistant. Right now I have 14 without one. So I don't see it any different than what I'm doing.

I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this, can you explain further please?

I honestly wondered.

The school is a little wierd, IMHO: mostly black, economically disadvantaged, and special education....80 students, 6 teachers.......

one first year teacher.....

The charter school is located in the Klien School District in North Harris County, but isn't part of the district.........which is primarily white, and has high achievement scores.....

Doesn't this seem a little suspicious?

I think this school was a dumping ground for Klien ISD's unwanted students.

Samson Wrote:

It could be.

I taught for over 5 years in an 8th grade classroom. I had over 20 special education students, no aide, and never had a problem I couldn't handle in the classroom without ever laying a finger on a student and rarely raising my voice.

I am currently teaching 6th and 7th grade inner-city students with emotional and learning support issues. I have 7 students at the most, no aide, and I can tell you that I've had a desks thrown at other students, kids screaming and tantruming on the floor, kids bolting from the room, kids refusing to leave the room when sent out that had to be dragged out by two adult males, and worse.

I'm the same teacher, using the same techniques (well...my behavior plan is MUCH stricter and more regimented in my current classroom), and I can tell you without any hesitation that 14 kids like the ones I currently am working with would be way way WAY too many.

(That being said...I've never laid a finger on a child in anger. In fact, the more heated the situation the LESS likely I am to attempt to engage with the student on any sort of physical level).

No I don't Samson. I think a ratio of 13 students in a classroom with one teacher is damned near ideal. What WOULD suit? A ratio of one teacher per student?

If these students were more challenging behaviorally, there probably should have been a teacher's aid there too. As far as I know, federal money is available for just that purpose.

I resect EZ's opinion regarding the ratio. I guess its OK.

Federal Money covers part of the costs. Since the school is a Charter school, the State funds most of it (perhaps with some funding from the district).

My son had a sub teacher after columbine who told the kids it was all their fault, they were 4th graders.

My son turned to the children near him and told them to all tell their parents what the sub said.

My son was then suspened for trying to incite a riot.

Then he came home and told me, the school rued the day they made that move.

Hopefully you are independently wealthy now. ?

I have has as many as 21 special ed students in my classroom all day long, without any assistant. Right now I have 14 without one. So I don't see it any different than what I'm doing.

I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this, can you explain further please?

I honestly wondered.

The school is a little wierd, IMHO: mostly black, economically disadvantaged, and special education....80 students, 6 teachers.......

The charter school is located in the Klien School District in North Harris County, but isn't part of the district.........which is primarily white, and has high achievement scores.....

Oh, so you think that a lot of those students are ED students the public schools didn't want? It's a charter, so not sure how that works with the funds, etc. from the district.

No matter how ill trained this (these) teachers are, there is NO EXCUSE for beating a child.

I am currently teaching 6th and 7th grade inner-city students with emotional and learning support issues. I have 7 students at the most, no aide, ....and I can tell you without any hesitation that 14 kids like the ones I currently am working with would be way way WAY too many.

(That being said...I've never laid a finger on a child in anger. In fact, the more heated the situation the LESS likely I am to attempt to engage with the student on any sort of physical level).

Well, you really don't know of WHAT you're capable after a year with twice the number of the same issue students you have at present.

I know damn well that most posters condemning this woman would probably begin slapping around students before X-mas if they had to be in a school with 40% SpEd and 75% EconDis.

I honestly wondered.

Oh, so you think that a lot of those students are ED students the public schools didn't want? It's a charter, so not sure how that works with the funds, etc. from the district.

No matter how ill trained this (these) teachers are, there is NO EXCUSE for beating a child.

Yes, I do think there's a good possiblity that the regular district has encouraged these kids to be concentrated in one, NON-district school. The motive is definately there, don't you think?

I'm not saying the teacher is innocent.

But this school is not "typical."

Samson Wrote:
Well, you really don't know of WHAT you're capable after a year with twice the number of the same issue students you have at present.

I know that I would not attack a student who was not a danger to himself or others with no other way of dealing with him. I have been in stressful, dangerous situations with students...I have had to put myself in harms way to ensure the safety of my students. That's one of the reasons why I know I can handle the difficulties and challenges of being a teacher in an urban school.

Many people should never become teachers...and some of them, like this woman, became them anyway. And when they are tested day after day, they snap. They should be fired. And if they hurt a child in the process of their "snap" they should be charged with appropriate crimes.

I know damn well that most posters condemning this woman would probably begin slapping around students before X-mas if they had to be in a school with 40% SpEd and 75% EconDis

This is absolutely true - lol.

I am currently teaching 6th and 7th grade inner-city students with emotional and learning support issues. I have 7 students at the most, no aide, ....and I can tell you without any hesitation that 14 kids like the ones I currently am working with would be way way WAY too many.

I know damn well that most posters condemning this woman would probably begin slapping around students before X-mas if they had to be in a school with 40% SpEd and 75% EconDis.

Which is why most of the posters here didn't go into the educational field. I can condemn a cop for beating up a person on the street without being a cop. I can condemn what that teacher did and I'm not a teacher, well, not certified anyway. I have two special needs kids, one of them 22 and still in diapers 24/7 and I have never resorted to the type of behavior that teacher resorted to.

Which is why most of the posters here didn't go into the educational field. I can condemn a cop for beating up a person on the street without being a cop. I can condemn what that teacher did and I'm not a teacher, well, not certified anyway. I have two special needs kids, one of them 22 and still in diapers 24/7 and I have never resorted to the type of behavior that teacher resorted to.

You can condemn anyone you want.

My point isn't that you cannot condemn the teacher, or a cop. My point is that you really don't know how you would react after being in a VERY UNUSUAL school like this one, and this makes it much easier to condemn this teacher.

That being said, I agree the woman should probably find another line of work.

However, I also think there needs to be a careful examination of the conditions at the school that would cause a certified teacher to go ape on a kid.

My point isn't that you cannot condemn the teacher, or a cop. My point is that you really don't know how you would react after being in a VERY UNUSUAL school like this one, and this makes it much easier to condemn this teacher.

However, I also think there needs to be a careful examination of the conditions at the school that would cause a certified teacher to go ape on a kid.

Exactly what type of conditions would ever justify that type of behavior from a teacher?

Why under 21? Adulthood is at 18.

Are you a teacher's union rep or something? That teacher had no cause to do what she did. If she was attempting to restrain the kid then it may be different.

I was blow away when he told me what they did.

I was livid and told them that no child should EVER be punished for telling others to TELL THE TRUTH to their own parents.

The Ass cover mode was in full swing that day at the school.

Do go on.

I find it hard to believe that schools will go to a lot of trouble to cover a sub but if they seriously threatened with inciting a riot (and I wouldn't put it past some schools) then I'd imagine they'd sink to incredible lows.

So please tell us the rest of the story.

:popcorn:

Samson Wrote:

It could be.

I taught for over 5 years in an 8th grade classroom. I had over 20 special education students, no aide, and never had a problem I couldn't handle in the classroom without ever laying a finger on a student and rarely raising my voice.

I am currently teaching 6th and 7th grade inner-city students with emotional and learning support issues. I have 7 students at the most, no aide, and I can tell you that I've had a desks thrown at other students, kids screaming and tantruming on the floor, kids bolting from the room, kids refusing to leave the room when sent out that had to be dragged out by two adult males, and worse.

I'm the same teacher, using the same techniques (well...my behavior plan is MUCH stricter and more regimented in my current classroom), and I can tell you without any hesitation that 14 kids like the ones I currently am working with would be way way WAY too many.

We expect MORE from teachers than we do from police officers, parents or social workers. And we demand they tolerate assault and disrespect that no prison guard in America has to deal with.

WHY?

Gem and Echo Zulu, I do not know where you ladies find the motivation to go to work every day, but you teachers are the nation's new sacrificial lambs. I wish it were better. I'm 99% certain federal money is granted to the states ear-marked for funding teacher's aides positions in Special Ed. etc. classrooms.

Maybe you can ask about this with/of your union rep? Get them to look at where is this money being diverted to?

Last edited:

I doubt I would but even if, we can still recognize it's wrong and punish the women accordingly.

If you can't handle the job the responsible thing to do would be to ask for help, and if that's not an option then leave.

Thanks Maddie. I'm not a member of the Teachers Union.

They (our district) just tells us they don't have the "funds" to pay someone 10 bucks an hour to assist us. That's ok, I've done it for so long without one, I wouldn't know what to do with someone to help out!

Exactly what type of conditions would ever justify that type of behavior from a teacher?

Yes.

Forum List

Back