Tea Party wants refunds on permit fees--since OWS paid none

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
Richmond, Va. — The Richmond tea party is demanding a refund of about $10,000 from the city, claiming it unfairly charged them for rallies while allowing the Occupy protesters to use the same space for several weeks for free.

The political organization is sending the city an invoice for the charges incurred for three rallies held in Kanawha Plaza over the past three years. The Occupy protesters have been camped in the plaza since Oct. 15.

Richmond Tea Party spokeswoman Colleen Owens says it's not fair that her group had to pay fees for permits, portable toilets, police presence and emergency personnel. The group also had to purchase a $1 million insurance policy.

Tea party groups across the nation have raised similar concerns since the protests spread from New York earlier this month.

Richmond tea party: Charge Occupy protesters or refund $10,000 we spent to rally in Virginia | The Republic

I think the Tea Party has a very valid point here. They paid their permits for rallies--didn't do sleep overs--cleaned up after themselves--and the Occupy Whatever protesters have been camping out--in public parks--and haven't had to pay a penny in fees.

Richmond, Va. — The Richmond tea party is demanding a refund of about $10,000 from the city, claiming it unfairly charged them for rallies while allowing the Occupy protesters to use the same space for several weeks for free.

The political organization is sending the city an invoice for the charges incurred for three rallies held in Kanawha Plaza over the past three years. The Occupy protesters have been camped in the plaza since Oct. 15.

Richmond Tea Party spokeswoman Colleen Owens says it's not fair that her group had to pay fees for permits, portable toilets, police presence and emergency personnel. The group also had to purchase a $1 million insurance policy.

Tea party groups across the nation have raised similar concerns since the protests spread from New York earlier this month.

Richmond tea party: Charge Occupy protesters or refund $10,000 we spent to rally in Virginia | The Republic

I think the Tea Party has a very valid point here. They paid their permits for rallies--didn't do sleep overs--cleaned up after themselves--and the Occupy Whatever protesters have been camping out--in public parks--and haven't had to pay a penny in fees.
If Richmond doesn't charge those free-loading mother-fuckers, there will be a suit.

That's what the Tea Party gets for asking.

They should have just not asked.

Oh wait, then they would have been pilloried by the media and the Democrats all the way up to the White House.

That is what I love about these Liberals.

The Keep saying why didn't the cops mess with the Tea Party.

Well let's see now.

The Tea Party got Permits.
The Tea Party held Rallies that lasted a few Hours
The Tea Party did not Pitch Tents and move into Public Spaces for weeks on end, Disrupting local Business, and infringing on everyone's right to enjoy the Space.

OWS got no Permits.
OWS hold protests that are seeming unending.
OWS Pitches tents and occupies public Spaces in clear violation of local Ordinances, and laws about where one can Camp.

I wonder why, After tolerating it for over a month. Authorities have started to crack down on it.

If Richmond doesn't charge those free-loading mother-fuckers, there will be a suit.

I don't see how you could give one protest group a free ride and then charge the crap out of the other. So in court I think the Tea Party wins here.

For the record, a quick google search indicates that a number of OWS protests have obtained permits or permission or are otherwise fully compliant with the law.

It's an interesting position. Public entities have to be very careful about having a consistent viewpoint-neutral positions on the use of their resources for constitutional reasons. Of course the courts have to allow municipalities some discretion, so I'm not sure a lawsuit will be successful.

OWS probably has the grounds for some good lawsuits too. There seems to be prima facie video evidence for police brutality.

For the record, a quick google search indicates that a number of OWS protests have obtained permits or permission or are otherwise fully compliant with the law.

It's an interesting position. Public entities have to be very careful about having a consistent viewpoint-neutral positions on the use of their resources for constitutional reasons. Of course the courts have to allow municipalities some discretion, so I'm not sure a lawsuit will be successful.

OWS probably has the grounds for some good lawsuits too. There seems to be prima facie video evidence for police brutality.
Maybe if they actually followed the law, there would be no issues.

Gee, I'm glad the TP thought of that rocket-science-like idea. [/sarcasm]

:rolleyes:

Tea Party wants refunds on permit fees--since OWS paid none

Judging by performance I would think the Tea Party wants a whole lot more refunded than that. Let's start with their dignity in trusting the current parade of do nothings.

Forum List

Back