Tea Party and Objectivism

Discussion in 'Tea Party' started by Objectivist, May 8, 2011.

1. Objectivist

Objectivist Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been sitting back and watching, silently biding my time, as the tea party has grown in America. All of this time I have wondered to myself, how can these people possibly compare their beliefs to those of Ayn Rand.
    Those who classify themselves as part of the tea party consider themselves conservatives, usually fiscally as well as socially. Therefore I am forced to ask myself, how does this comparison come up. How could any tea party member side with Ayn Rand.
    This angers me beyond belief! Rand and Objectivism both preach the evils of religion! Use of the mind and rationalization are the key aspects that everyone seems to ignore!

So I'm going to say this. It is impossible to be a "conservative" and Objectivist. You cannot believe in god. So stop putting up all of these signs about Galt and agreeing with Rand, because you are not. Stop, Stop, Stop.

2. Truthseeker420

Truthseeker420 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    because their corporate masters like her. I don't know why they need some old communist to tell them it is okay to be selfish.

3. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

As an objectivist, do you always group all people into conveniently recognized groups to embrace or despise. I am a Conservative and not devoted to a religion. As a Conservative, I see all government as a money laundering scheme and, as such, want to reduce their work load.

To me that is what Conservatism is. Remove as much power as possible from the central and move it always closer and closer to the people. You may have heard the slogan of the Conservative: "Power to the people".

I don't care so much if Rand was an objectivist. I'm not even really sure what that is. However, Rand warned of Collectivism and THAT is the part of her life view that I embrace.

It seems tro me that Rand endorsed and promoted the ability and the resourcefulness of the individual. Whether it be God, a Union, a Political Party or any other renouncing of self in favor of an outside guide for morality, well bing or intellect in place of self interest, it seems to run counter to Rand's basic thinking.

By that standard, nobody is worthy of espousing Rand's philosophy since all of us strive to combine with someone or some group to reinforce our beliefs. Even John Gault had his little commune comprised of individuals to support each other.

The ultimate individualist living as a part of a Collective. Ain't irony sweet? Ain't life a bitch?

The real question then becomes whether you are the legitimate arbiter of Rand's philosophy and whether Rand would support a Central Power to bless or dismiss the interpretation of her ideas as filtered through the lives of those within whom they resonate.

Would Rand recognize YOU as THE central power?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

Selfish is an interesting word.

Mother Teresa gained great joy from helping those who were Universally revilied by the society. The Catholic Church will very likely make her a Saint. Kind of the Hall of Fame for Catholics.

The more she served others, the closer to God she imagined herself to be. She was in her own mind literally walking on the dead to gain a place in Heaven. Everything she did throughout her adult life was aimed at the singular goal of eternal reward.

Is this not the most selfish thing you have ever heard of?

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    "conservative" doesn't, historically, have anything to do with "religion". conservatism has to do with a view to maintaining the status quo.

randians aren't conservatives, they are government hating reactionaries. and what i believe you're referring to is "social conservatism" which is nothing more than the radical right attempting to intertwine their beliefs with our political system.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    You're stupid enough to believe this exact same talking point hasn't come up on a message board this size, at least a hundred times?

It has.

Really old and stale, you're about a year behind on your parroted talking points, s0n.

7. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Your frustration is understandable as your perception of the TPM is predicated on the misconception that the ‘movement’ is some independent political entity – it’s not. Indeed, there is no such thing as the ‘Tea Party’ per se, as they’re mostly republicans. By its members’ own admission, 7 out of 10 TPM members are republicans or republican leaning independents. All TPM members in the House are republicans.

So if you think the TPM is a neo-libertarian movement based on the childish and inane ‘philosophy’ of Ayn Rand, then you’re clearly mistaken. The TPM is made up mostly of the old Bush Base, the same social conservatives who shut down McCain in 2000 after his New Hampshire primary victory. In addition to the Bush Base, you’ve got pseudo-/quasi-libertarian republicans with a sprinkling of various rightist fringe groups.

So no need to feel frustrated or disappointed – the TPM is simply American political business as usual.

As long as where ever the ‘power’ ends up, ‘the people’ understand and acknowledge the rule of law in the context of our Constitutional Republic – something which has been demonstrated to not be the case historically and currently, where the people have been subject to the tyranny of the majority.

8. Smash_Hits

Smash_Hits STEELY DAN !

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19

It isn't like objectivists are much better. You worship Ayn Rand, they worship God.

9. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    well they both do believe failed ideas even in the face of their history of failure.

10. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    WOW, I never knew those people were really conservatives...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2