Taxing your Car Mileage... What?

First the conservatives will want to make all public roads tolls roads.

Then they'll complaint that the roads are not managed well as they systematically starve their budgets by spending the money on some damned foolish war.

Then they'll demand that the public sell those roads to corporations to "save us money"

Then the corporations will control all movement in society.

Yeah, that's who we're dealing with folks.

Fascist liars with a hidden and nefarious agenda.

Last edited:

Then they'll complaint that the roads are not managed well as they systematically starve their budgets by spending the money on some damned foolish war.

Then they'll demand that the public sell those roads to corporations to "save us money"

Your not usually wrong on all counts...sheesh.....

Gotta choose my phrase carefully......

I distrust the government less than I distrust a private corporation.

So in some sense I do agree. Private road folks just either trust the government to babysit the corporations like they have been or trust corporations.

Corporations. Ug. What an ugly word. Mostly they go bankrupt and ask for handouts in my reading. There is usually an amount of good times associated with their growth though and boy do they ride that for public relations.

See GM and Chrysler for example. Huge companies. Best free enterprise had to offer. Now two of the big three had to be bailed out by the government or they wouldnt exist. Ah, private corporations costing us money.

What's wrong with having all federal highways as toll roads? You use it, you pay for it. We could then eliminate the federal gas tax or hell even eliminate half of it and then let states keep the other half.

One thing toll roads would do is introduce accountability in government because we would know exactly how much each road collected in tolls and we could then monitor the spending better than we can now.

I wished I could be as nice with my words as you are, when I tell someone they were dead wrong

A tax based on miles driven is a fair way to pay for road maintenance since the major cause or deterioration of roads is road usage, better would be mileage and vehicle weight. A gasoline tax penalizes those that drive gas hogs and rewards those that drive energy efficient vehicles.

A couple of things. Most people hate paying tolls. It's also a lot cheaper to collect from gas retailer than all drivers.

BRILLIANT!

Oh yeah, nevermind.... Im a facist liar
:rolleyes:

I wished I could be as nice with my words as you are, when I tell someone they were dead wrong

I figure it gets the point across and I don't have wipe the froth off my chin..:lol:

What we are seeing is the affect of increased efficiency of the cars and trucks, and the emergence of EVs. We depend on the Interstates for transportation, both personal and commercial. If we fail to fund the maintenance of the system, it will fail. We see every year now old bridges failing, sometimes catastrophically.

So, do you want to fund the system out of income taxes, or taxes on those that use the system? Or do you just want to shut the system down?

The system is funded...by gasoline taxes.

Forum List

Back