Taxing bad behavior

"Putting special taxes on medical related goods and services isn’t going to improve medical care any more that putting special taxes on tobacco increases the sale of tobacco products."

False analogy. The idea is to reduce the costs in the long run, not increase the revenue stream.

How does taxing something reduce the cost of it?

By making sure everybody is covered will drive down the cost. The industrialized West, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand's populations pay less, live longer, for less per person than here in the U.S.

You could look it up, but you won't because you don't want to know the truth.

We the People through their elected reps disagree with you.

That's not the way representative democracy works in the U.S.

Democracy isn't viable unless the minority can trust that the majority won't be able to run roughshod over everyone else. Without that trust - without reliable limits on what can be imposed on us by government - there is no democracy and no social contract, only brute tyranny. And brute tyranny always fails.

Constitutional, electoral process upheld by SCOTUS is not tyranny.

It certainly can be, when Congress oversteps its bounds, and the Court fails to stop them.

The minority, when protected as it has been through the entire process, does not dictate to the majority.

The minority was not protected in the ACA decision. In any case, I was responding to your comment: "We the People through their elected reps disagree with you.", which you seemed to be offering up as justification for abuse of the taxation power. Majority will isn't the deciding factor in constitutional matters.

"Putting special taxes on medical related goods and services isn’t going to improve medical care any more that putting special taxes on tobacco increases the sale of tobacco products."

False analogy. The idea is to reduce the costs in the long run, not increase the revenue stream.

By making sure everybody is covered will drive down the cost. The industrialized West, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand's populations pay less, live longer, for less per person than here in the U.S.

You could look it up, but you won't because you don't want to know the truth.
You could also look up that obesity is much higher in the US than in those countries. Do you think the obesity rate might be a reason why they live longer and have fewer medical problems, thus costing them less in medical care?
Put that truth in your pipe and smoke it.

Taxing bad behavior

It is common knowledge that the government can reduce “bad” behavior by taxing or penalizing it.
Tobacco and alcohol use are the perfect examples. Every time the tax rates increase on tobacco products, some people quit using tobacco. It happens with alcohol also. Some people quit or reduce consumption because they can’t afford it anymore. Some because they just don’t want to pay the increased taxes.

A few years, the city of Chicago instituted a 5 cent tax on bottled water. They said they needed the tax money because all those empty bottles were getting into landfills. I guess they sort of forgot about their recycling programs. The sales of bottled water dropped, and Chicago didn’t get the revenue stream they anticipated and wrote into their budget.

By the way, the reason I know this about Chicago’s bottled water tax is because I am the IT person for a fortune 100 retailer that had to develop the reporting so that our company could collect and pay the tax to the city. Our sales of water have dropped dramatically since the tax was introduced.

Part of the health care bill calls for a tax on so-called “Cadillac” health care plans. Just like tobacco, alcohol and water, this will price some people out of the market. Instead, they will settle for a sub-prime health care plan. The government won’t get it’s anticipated revenue stream, and some person will end up not getting the type of medical care they really wanted to and was willing to pay for.

Another part of the health care bill calls for taxing manufacturers of medical equipment. I am willing to bet, those costs will be passed on and some doctor or hospital will just buy less medical equipment. The anticipated taxes won’t be realized, and the medical services that could have been provided with that equipment won’t be available.

Anybody with a lick of common sense knows that unfairly taxing something reduces a person’s propensity to engage in that behavior. Putting special taxes on medical related goods and services isn’t going to improve medical care any more that putting special taxes on tobacco increases the sale of tobacco products.
I'm not sure why the government thinks medical care is bad behavior.

I guess the ideas look good on paper after some creative number crunching. They never apply common sense to anything and nothing ever turns out the way they think it should.

I suppose they think many will just pay more for the medical insurance they desire and they don't stop to think that many of us have the best we can afford now. They will put our current plans out of reach soon, then we'll be at the mercy of some lesser (government) insurance.

I suspect they want to put the private insurance companies out of business so that everyone has to give up what they have and settle for the crappiest service on the planet.

So much for 'if you like what you have, you can keep it' since they will see to it that we don't.

Everything they do is designed to get more money from us. Then the money goes for more "entitlement" programs.

In every case of socialized medicine I've looked into (and yes I've read up on several of these) if costs are brought down at all it's through price controls. Without such price controls, blanket insurance has the opposite affect on health care prices.

In every case of socialized medicine I've looked into (and yes I've read up on several of these) if costs are brought down at all it's through price controls. Without such price controls, blanket insurance has the opposite affect on health care prices.
and as we know through many times in our own history, price controls are bad things.

If it's a price floor, all prices drop to it. If it's a price ceiling, all prices rise to it.

And they stay there.

That's not the way representative democracy works in the U.S.

Democracy isn't viable unless the minority can trust that the majority won't be able to run roughshod over everyone else. Without that trust - without reliable limits on what can be imposed on us by government - there is no democracy and no social contract, only brute tyranny. And brute tyranny always fails.

Constitutional, electoral process upheld by SCOTUS is not tyranny.

It certainly can be, when Congress oversteps its bounds, and the Court fails to stop them.

The minority, when protected as it has been through the entire process, does not dictate to the majority.

The minority was not protected in the ACA decision. In any case, I was responding to your comment: "We the People through their elected reps disagree with you.", which you seemed to be offering up as justification for abuse of the taxation power. Majority will isn't the deciding factor in constitutional matters.

The minority has been protected by ACA is the point. SCOTUS had decided.

The point is that you refuse to accept constitutional, electoral process, dblack.

But you don't speak for the minority, only yourself.

Nothing that alan1 offers up can stop the fact that the industrialized west lives longer, healthier and less cost than the USA.

Those are the facts.

alan1 offers nothing to counter that fact that we in the USA could as well.

This is also a fact: the ACA, in itself or in romeny clone, will survive.

Nothing that alan1 offers up can stop the fact that the industrialized west lives longer, healthier and less cost than the USA.

Those are the facts.

De' Nile is a river in Egypt.
You ignoring obesity as a factor towards bad health is now noted.

Isn't the US part of "The industrialized West"? Fact

Obesity is the single largest damaging health condition. Fact

The US has the largest obesity problem over every country. Fact

Forcing people to purchase health insurance doesn't change obesity. Fact

alan1 continues in denial, babbling about being fat. Exercise the fat, alan1. Show us exactly how obesity somehow compensates for having (not having) ACA. ACA will help people to learn and make better choices.

alan1, stay on track, pay attention, and stop wandering.

Last edited:

The point is that you refuse to accept constitutional, electoral process, dblack.

Not really sure what you're going on about here - other than trying to avoid the point. Which was that your "We the people have decided" comment was ignorant and has nothing to do with the topic.

Well done.

and as we know through many times in our own history, price controls are bad things.

If it's a price floor, all prices drop to it. If it's a price ceiling, all prices rise to it.

And they stay there.

Agreed.

Taxing bad behavior

It is common knowledge that the government can reduce “bad” behavior by taxing or penalizing it.
Tobacco and alcohol use are the perfect examples. Every time the tax rates increase on tobacco products, some people quit using tobacco. It happens with alcohol also. Some people quit or reduce consumption because they can’t afford it anymore. Some because they just don’t want to pay the increased taxes.

A few years, the city of Chicago instituted a 5 cent tax on bottled water. They said they needed the tax money because all those empty bottles were getting into landfills. I guess they sort of forgot about their recycling programs. The sales of bottled water dropped, and Chicago didn’t get the revenue stream they anticipated and wrote into their budget.

By the way, the reason I know this about Chicago’s bottled water tax is because I am the IT person for a fortune 100 retailer that had to develop the reporting so that our company could collect and pay the tax to the city. Our sales of water have dropped dramatically since the tax was introduced.

Part of the health care bill calls for a tax on so-called “Cadillac” health care plans. Just like tobacco, alcohol and water, this will price some people out of the market. Instead, they will settle for a sub-prime health care plan. The government won’t get it’s anticipated revenue stream, and some person will end up not getting the type of medical care they really wanted to and was willing to pay for.

Another part of the health care bill calls for taxing manufacturers of medical equipment. I am willing to bet, those costs will be passed on and some doctor or hospital will just buy less medical equipment. The anticipated taxes won’t be realized, and the medical services that could have been provided with that equipment won’t be available.

Anybody with a lick of common sense knows that unfairly taxing something reduces a person’s propensity to engage in that behavior. Putting special taxes on medical related goods and services isn’t going to improve medical care any more that putting special taxes on tobacco increases the sale of tobacco products.
I'm not sure why the government thinks medical care is bad behavior.

And the Mandate Tax is taxing NON-behavior.....
:eusa_shifty:

Not really sure what you're going on about here - other than trying to avoid the point. Which was that your "We the people have decided" comment was ignorant and has nothing to do with the topic. Well done.

Stay on track, and stop deflecting. Your ignorance is that you refuse to accept constitutional, electoral process as defined by the Constitution and the will of We the People. You are in the minority, you lost, SCOTUS decided against you, it's over.

Not really sure what you're going on about here - other than trying to avoid the point. Which was that your "We the people have decided" comment was ignorant and has nothing to do with the topic. Well done.

Stay on track, and stop deflecting. Your ignorance is that you refuse to accept constitutional, electoral process as defined by the Constitution and the will of We the People. You are in the minority, you lost, SCOTUS decided against you, it's over.

Really?

You don't remember the Town Hall meetings after this piece of shit legislation was passed?
We the People were PISSED and showed it in 2010!!

ACA was crammed through "before we could read it" and upheld by a SCOTUS of APPOINTED judges.

The "will of We the People" will be heard, loud and clear, this November.
:eusa_hand:

And the Mandate Tax is taxing NON-behavior.....
:eusa_shifty:

It's ironic to me that Roberts felt good about limiting the commerce clause but apparently sees the power to tax as utterly unlimited - and wants it to remain such. Anyway, it's been the precedent for many years. I think it will take an amendment of the Constitution to steer things back in the right direction. And the corporatists will likely be able to block that.

The only thing that will slow health costs is ACA, proven in Mass (2%/yr now.) 2% tax on medical equipment will cost the patient 0%, dupes.

Instead of making some numbers up, let's check with the Mass Atty General's report - Investigation of Health Care Cost Trends and Drivers where we'll see this glowing comment on the health care costs in MA.:

Health care costs are increasing much faster than the growth in the economy, gross domestic production (GDP), and wages. Such increases, if unchecked, threaten the financial stability of individuals and businesses, and the future viability of our gains in health care access. Massachusetts is a national leader in health care. In the Commonwealth, we benefit from highly ranked health plans and hospitals, and we also have strong market reforms protecting access to health care that are a national model. As a result of Chapter 58, Massachusetts has expanded coverage to 97% of the population through the shared responsibility of individuals and employers. These landmark gains in access, however, are jeopardized by unsustainable increases in health care costs in Massachusetts.

ACA, which is modeled more or less from the Romneycare plan in MA, also suffers the same dry rot problems as MA. It does nothing more than extend a token tax on durable goods.

With the demand side subsidized across the board, the supply side is free to set costs MUCH higher with the likely expectation that they will get paid. This rising cost will then be applied to consumers in the form of higher insurance premiums which will raise the demand subsidy and start the process all over again. Can you feel Rmoney's hand at work here?

As it stands, 4 of MA's biggest insurers have already threatened to stop taking new patients because they can't support the cost.

Those are the facts.

Guess this is beat up on JakeStarkey day. Sorry, but those are just "Hannity facts".

The Commonwealth Fund had a nice survey that said:
Among the seven nations studied—Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States—the U.S. ranks last overall, as it did in the 2007, 2006, and 2004 editions of Mirror, Mirror. Most troubling, the U.S. fails to achieve better health outcomes than the other countries, and as shown in the earlier editions, the U.S. is last on dimensions of access, patient safety, coordination, efficiency, and equity. The Netherlands ranks first, followed closely by the U.K. and Australia. The 2010 edition includes data from the seven countries and incorporates patients' and physicians' survey results on care experiences and ratings on various dimensions of care.

And for the verbally challenged, they made this nice picture:
MM2010l.gif

I'll post the link if you want to do some reading.

Forum List

Back