"taps"

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia. The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.

During the night Cpt. Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severly wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Cpt. decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention.

Crawling on his stomach through gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier & began pulling him toward his encampment. When the Cpt. finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.

The Captain lit a lantern & suddenly caught his breath & went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son!
The boy had been studying music in the South when war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army.

The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted. The Cpt. had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral.

The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate. But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician.

The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musicial notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of his dead son's uniform. Yes! the author of the tune was the first to be honored by it being played. The haunting melody we now know as "Taps" was born. The words are:

Day is done, Gone the sun, From the lakes, From the hills, from the sky. All is well. Safely rest, God is nigh.

Fading light, Dim's the sight, And a star, Gems the sky, Gleamimg bright from afar. Drawing nigh, falls the night.

Thanks and praise, For our days, Neath the sun, Neath the stars. Neath the sky, As we go, This we know, God is nigh.

don't know if it is ubran legend or not, but have read this account before.

there is something about this song that about everytime I hear it, I get a real tight throat and yep sometimes can't hold it back. of course the star spangeled banner does that to me sometimes also. Go figure!

Originally posted by HGROKIT
.......I get a real tight throat and yep sometimes can't hold it back. of course the star spangeled banner does that to me sometimes also. Go figure!

Glad to hear, you have a heart. :)

Yeah, whenever I hear the Star Spangled Banner or the Band of Brothers Theme I always start shaking, vibrating. I told my dad this once, and he said, "Thats good, that doesnt happen too often to people anymore..."

This stuff makes me so emotional!!! The Star Spangled Banner does that to me too. "Battle Hymn of the Republic" as well.

I have read this before but forgot about it-thanks joz!

Forum List

Back