Tanning.

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Don't do it. Tanned skin is damaged skin. Swimming and playing outside is one thing, but deliberately lying there "tanning" makes you look like a moron.

Don't do it. Tanned skin is damaged skin. Swimming and playing outside is one thing, but deliberately lying there "tanning" makes you look like a moron.
Amen to this. I've already seen a commercial that says that laying in a tanning bed enough can cause skin cancer.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

The usual suspects will be along to ensue the class it's white folks who desperately desire to be black folks instead, a la that crackpot Dolezal. That and white women can hardly keep their hands off of black guys, which causes jealousy among white guys and turns us all into racists.

Makes you look like this! :ack-1: I see ladies like this at the beach all the time. This is what too much exposure to harmful rays from the sun and artificial sources does to your skin.

terrible-tan1-412x294.jpg

Amen to this. I've already seen a commercial that says that laying in a tanning bed enough can cause skin cancer.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Have read about every 5 sunburns in your life doubles your chance of developing skin cancer. Thinking of how many sunburns I've had as a kid I'm acutely aware my chance is higher than it should be.

My cousin who's the same age has already had a skin cancer scare. I cower indoors at peak UV times (10-3pm) and usually wait until 5 or 6 to go out swimming.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Have read about every 5 sunburns in your life doubles your chance of developing skin cancer. Thinking of how many sunburns I've had as a kid I'm acutely aware my chance is higher than it should be.

My cousin who's the same age has already had a skin cancer scare. I cower indoors at peak UV times (10-3pm) and usually wait until 5 or 6 to go out swimming.

Why don't animals get skin cancer? Some animals are in the sun all day long. Is it just a difference in our skin? The fur or hair they have? I hear that humans can even get skin cancer through their clothing and should wear sunscreen under their clothes too.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Why don't animals get skin cancer? Some animals are in the sun all day long. Is it just a difference in our skin? The fur or hair they have? I hear that humans can even get skin cancer through their clothing and should wear sunscreen under their clothes too.

Dunno. Know sharks are immune to all cancers though. Or at least have heard that. Dunno if other land-based animals get cancer or not.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Dunno. Know sharks are immune to all cancers though. Or at least have heard that. Dunno if other land-based animals get cancer or not.

I don't think I've ever heard of a dog or a cat getting skin cancer. What about turtles who lie in the sun all day long and snakes?

"Abstract

The evolution of multicellularity required the suppression of cancer. If every cell has some chance of becoming cancerous, large, long-lived organisms should have an increased risk of developing cancer compared to small, short-lived organisms. The lack of correlation between body size and cancer risk is known as Peto’s Paradox. Animals with 1,000 times more cells than humans do not exhibit an increased cancer risk, suggesting that natural mechanisms can suppress cancer 1,000 times more effectively than is done in human cells. Because cancer has proven difficult to cure, attention has turned to cancer prevention. In this review, like pharmaceutical companies mining natural products, we seek to understand how evolution has suppressed cancer to ultimately develop improved cancer prevention in humans."
Peto s Paradox Evolution s Prescription for Cancer Prevention

Interesting bit.

"Abstract

The evolution of multicellularity required the suppression of cancer. If every cell has some chance of becoming cancerous, large, long-lived organisms should have an increased risk of developing cancer compared to small, short-lived organisms. The lack of correlation between body size and cancer risk is known as Peto’s Paradox. Animals with 1,000 times more cells than humans do not exhibit an increased cancer risk, suggesting that natural mechanisms can suppress cancer 1,000 times more effectively than is done in human cells. Because cancer has proven difficult to cure, attention has turned to cancer prevention. In this review, like pharmaceutical companies mining natural products, we seek to understand how evolution has suppressed cancer to ultimately develop improved cancer prevention in humans."

Interesting bit.

That's why I brought up turtles. They have a very long lifespan (some of them) and spend a lot of time sunning, and I've never heard of turtles having skin cancer, so it must be just differences in our skin.

"Abstract

Interesting bit.

That's why I brought up turtles. They have a very long lifespan (some of them) and spend a lot of time sunning, and I've never heard of turtles having skin cancer, so it must be just differences in our skin.

Turtle lover page here says they can get skin cancer.

Can turtles get melanoma - General Turtle Discussions - Turtle Forum

"Cancer accounts for about 10 percent of all human deaths. If you think that sets us apart, scientists have news for you: Wild animals die of cancer at about the same rate, and it threatens some species with extinction.

"Cancer is one of the leading health concerns for humans," Dr. Denise McAloose, a pathologist for the Wildlife Conservation Society, said in a statement. "But we now understand that cancer can kill wild animals at similar rates."

McAloose and her colleagues compiled information on cancer in wildlife and concluded that cancer poses a conservation threat to certain species. The team called for greater protection of animals and people through increased health monitoring. They published their research in the July edition of the journal Nature Reviews Cancer."
Cancer Kills Wild Animals Too

Makes you look like this! :ack-1: I see ladies like this at the beach all the time. This is what too much exposure to harmful rays from the sun and artificial sources does to your skin.

To me, that person completely ruined theirself!

God bless you always!!!

Holly

To me, that person completely ruined theirself!

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I agree, Holly. These are tanning addicts.

"Abstract

Interesting bit.

Turtle lover page here says they can get skin cancer.

Can turtles get melanoma - General Turtle Discussions - Turtle Forum

"Cancer accounts for about 10 percent of all human deaths. If you think that sets us apart, scientists have news for you: Wild animals die of cancer at about the same rate, and it threatens some species with extinction.

"Cancer is one of the leading health concerns for humans," Dr. Denise McAloose, a pathologist for the Wildlife Conservation Society, said in a statement. "But we now understand that cancer can kill wild animals at similar rates."

McAloose and her colleagues compiled information on cancer in wildlife and concluded that cancer poses a conservation threat to certain species. The team called for greater protection of animals and people through increased health monitoring. They published their research in the July edition of the journal Nature Reviews Cancer."
Cancer Kills Wild Animals Too

I never knew that turtles got skin cancer. Weird considering they need the sun to warm their bodies up.

When Gracie was a puppy, they told me to make sure she didn't lay in the sun for long periods of time due to not enough pigmentation in her skin. Being an australian shepherd, she was white mostly, but had black sections of fur. All white fur critters can get skin cancer.

Forum List

Back