Taking kids to drag queen shows, vs. taking kids to R rated movies

~

you think this is innocent fun? well it isn't. THey want your kids. They defeat you if they get your kids.

Yes, this topic was brought up in a thread, or maybe two threads, in the clean debate zone. It did not stay clean enough, so it was shut down. I hope this one can keep it together, because I think that it is an interesting topic.

So, first of all, why mention the two in the same breath? What is the similarity, if any?

I suppose it is that some parents would take their kids to a drag queen show, and some parents would take their kids to an R-rated movie, and some other parents and non-parents would be horrified at both, some horrified at one but not the other, and some horrified by neither.

So . . . the differences:

For one thing, I would say that the most common reason for taking a child to an R-rated movie is that the parent(s) wants to see the movie. I well remember my parents taking me to see "The Godfather," which came out in 1972, but we went to the drive in so it would have been more like 1973. So, I was eleven. I remember clearly my mother covering my eyes just before the horse head was revealed. I also remember that I was in line by myself waiting to buy a snack when the toll booth machine gunning scene played so I saw that with no motherly interference. Needless to say, I got little from the plot, and I doubt that my parents did either.

Anyway, I saw several R-rated movies because my parents wanted to see them. Not saying that they were horrible parents; they made sure we had a roof over our heads. But they had little money for entertainment, so they were not about to let kids interfere with their once a month movie night.

One difference that I see is that I don't believe that parents take their children to drag shows because the parent has a burning desire to go to one and can't afford or trust a baby sitter. I have to think that there is some other motive, which has something to do with virtue signaling.

Which is more harmful? Of course, it depends. "Midnight Cowboy" was an originally X-rated, R-rated movie and other than being depressing, I would have no objection to a kid watching it. On the other hand so was "Clockwork Orange," and I would think that sixteen is the minimum age to see that.

Is a drag show harmful? Again, it depends on your attitude toward drag and, more broadly, sexual deviance. If you think that all kinds of sexual expression is fine, then you only have to ask yourself how early is too early to expose children to adult sexuality of any kind, including "normal" heterosexual relations.

Clearly, as a poster said on another thread, the key is that parents make these decisions. I would be no less outraged if a school took my ten year old to see "Showgirls" as if they took him to see a drag show. If my kid were seventeen, I would still question the wisdom of taking them to either one. What is the educational value?

What say you (and please keep it as clean as possible)?
The R rated movies my Dad took us to see in the 1960-70s at the drive in were not blurred. I really never understood why humans are so ashamed of the human body.

The R rated movies my Dad took us to see in the 1960-70s at the drive in were not blurred. I really never understood why humans are so ashamed of the human body.

Yanno Moon.................it's not really humans overall that are ashamed of the human body as you state, mainly just repressed societies (like Americans).

I still remember my very first time going to a beach in Spain during one of my first port visits. Damn near every woman on there was topless, and lots of them were wearing nothing but G strings and smiles. Took a couple of days to get used to seeing, but afterwards, it didn't bother me one way or the other in the least. Matter of fact, ever since then, I've oft wondered why here in America men can go on the beach with nothing but board shorts or Speedos, but if a woman tried to do the same thing, they would be kicked off the beach or arrested.

And................it wasn't just on the beach that Europeans allow the human form to be seen, it also happens quite often in street advertisements, billboards, and even on public broadcast television.

Maybe it's because America was founded by a bunch of religious types who were so repressed that they got kicked out of Britain.

Forum List

Back