Tahrir Square Rape celebration

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Mr.Fitnah, Feb 15, 2011.

1. logical4u

logical4u citizen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Sky Dancer, don't forget to mention the men (especially in prisoner status) that are raped. Did they want to be raped too? How about the little boys that are raped? Was playing alone an invitation for every pervert to rape them? MikeK is it acceptable for men and boys to be raped (just part of life that should have no bearing on how we judge the safety of our communities), or is that going to far? If women/girls are not safe on the streets, isn't that the very definition of anarchy?

2. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,786
    What specifically did I say that remotely suggests rape is acceptable?

I have three daughters the oldest of whom is 47. All three were raised in New York City. None were raped. Nor was my late wife raped. Nor were any of the women we know raped (that I am aware of). So I hope you'll forgive me if I don't share your rather extreme sense of apprehension.

Rape is one among many crimes which are perpetrated in our society on a daily basis. People are murdered, robbed and brutally assaulted as well. Homes and businesses are burglarized and cars are stolen. I don't know how to eliminate such things so the only suggestion I can offer is we need to be aware of the dangers and take whatever precautions are available to us. The best thing that any woman can do to prevent being raped is to avoid placing herself in a position which would accommodate that potential. And that is the only point I've tried to make in this thread but I've been denounced as an insensitive male chauvinist.

Do you have a better suggestion?

3. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,749
    Most women who are raped don't say anything though right? all the girls I talked to who were raped never said a word.

4. logical4u

logical4u citizen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +543
    I would guess you are thinking specifically of this country. I am not. My point was that if women are not safe to walk down the street in broad daylight in any community, world wide, then that country is not for freedom or liberty.

As far as males being raped, you seemed non-chalant about female rape, I was asking if you felt the same way when males were raped.

Knowing that rape happens, and accepting it are two different things.

5. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,786
    I am.

I agree. But what do you suggest we do in the way of solving the problem?

If I seem nonchalant it's because, as I've explained, no one close to me -- in fact no one I know, has been raped so I have no emotional connection to the act. But if someone raped one of my girls I know I would be enraged enough to kill him

As it is, objectively, I deplore the act of forcible rape. I believe that a man who would do something like that doesn't deserve to live in a civilized society. But I don't relate to the act in the same way as women do, nor should you expect me to.

As far as my feelings about male/male rape are concerned, I've heard about this but I've never known or heard of a specific instance. I believe that it happens mainly in prisons, which is a manifestation of the perverse and incompetently managed nature of our prison system. But I must say I do not nor have I ever felt the slightest bit concerned about it happening to me.

If I were small, frail, effeminate and pretty, then maybe. But as it is I have absolutely nothing to worry about along those lines. So I don't give it much thought.

6. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today Lara Logan was the Keynote speaker at the Intercultural Management Institute's (IMI) annual conference. She spoke twice about working in multicultural environments. There was no mention of her experience in Tahrir Square on Feb 11th.

I wonder why she is back to public speaking, but not clearing the air about what really happened to her:confused:

7. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,873
    I suspect that she was molested and groped, not raped.

8. Ropey

Ropey String tension is not infinite.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,520
    Women are not being well treated in Egypt. They never have been and right now it is even worse as men anger at women for attempting to take part in the politics.

It didn't take to long to morph into the old, did it?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,749
    Women get treated like dogs in Egypt, and it looks like things may get worse for them when the Islamists take over that country.