Synchrony has a 13 month CD paying 2.65%

Two hundred sixty five dollars per $10,000 for a year.

Two hundred sixty five dollars divided by 12 months equals $22 per month divided by 4.3 weeks is five dollars per week. It's like a free cup of coffee and a bagel per week.

Not bad. But not great either.

If you are looking for a place to park some cash this is the best CD I've seen in awhile FYI
/----/ or buy 100 shares of Netflix and sell a covered call expiring Dec 18 2018 at the money and get $3,050. A 10% return in 3 months. It's so simple to do
Cool 10% guaranteed return in buying stocks and options! I didn't know that was possible.

If you are looking for a place to park some cash this is the best CD I've seen in awhile FYI
/----/ or buy 100 shares of Netflix and sell a covered call expiring Dec 18 2018 at the money and get $3,050. A 10% return in 3 months. It's so simple to do
Cool 10% guaranteed return in buying stocks and options! I didn't know that was possible.
/---/ If Netflix is below $365 on 12/18 you keep the $3,000 and your stock. If it's over $365 then you keep the $3,000 and the market maker buys your shares at $365 each even if the stock is at $400. That's their incentive. It's like real estate's rent with the option to buy. I made $115,000 YTD doing this. Most stocks and ETFs have options. Just google how to write covered calls.

/---/ If Netflix is below $365 on 12/18 you keep the $3,000 and your stock. If it's over $365 then you keep the $3,000 and the market maker buys your shares at $365 each even if the stock is at $400. That's their incentive. It's like real estate's rent with the option to buy. I made $115,000 YTD doing this. Most stocks and ETFs have options. Just google how to write covered calls.
Interesting. I've done well trading stocks, never shorting and never doing options but it would be interesting to try it. Prolly not with $40K.
No options strategy is without risk. That's what I was referring to. I agree the example you give has a good probability of making money. But Netflix could be way lower on 12/18 also.

Interesting. I've done well trading stocks, never shorting and never doing options but it would be interesting to try it. Prolly not with $40K.
No options strategy is without risk. That's what I was referring to. I agree the example you give has a good probability of making money. But Netflix could be way lower on 12/18 also.
/—-/ I never said it was without risk but if you own stocks you can write calls way out of the money. If the stock falls just buy the option back.

/——: And there are $10 stocks with options so you’re investing $10K for 100 shares. I’m not trying to talk you into anything but there are better options than CDs paying less than the rate of inflation

/—-/ Ever had a losing stock trade? You can use options to get your money back.

/——: And there are $10 stocks with options so you’re investing $10K for 100 shares. I’m not trying to talk you into anything but there are better options than CDs paying less than the rate of inflation
I hear you and I see the benefits of an options strategy. Parking money in a CD is not an investment strategy for me, It's for de-risking my portfolio. I'm way past the days of being 100% invested in stocks.

I hear you and I see the benefits of an options strategy. Parking money in a CD is not an investment strategy for me, It's for de-risking my portfolio. I'm way past the days of being 100% invested in stocks.
/---/ Me too. I'm 80% in cash and selling put options and a few covered calls that are assigned at the end of the week. I'm averaging 35% a year.

Only thing that beats covered calls are arbitrage strategies

Only thing that beats covered calls are arbitrage strategies
/----/ That's a new one on me. It looks far more complicated than CCs.
Arbitrage Strategies

Damn,, I miss the late '70s.
/----/ You can thank Slick Willie for taxing Option trades. My broker does not report the trades to the IRS, my accountant includes them because if I'm ever audited I could get slammed.

You can thank Slick Willie for taxing Option trades.

Option trades have always been taxed.

My broker does not report the trades to the IRS

Unlikely.

Damn,, I miss the late '70s.
/----/ You can thank Slick Willie for taxing Option trades. My broker does not report the trades to the IRS, my accountant includes them because if I'm ever audited I could get slammed.

You can thank Slick Willie for taxing Option trades.

Option trades have always been taxed.
/----/ Not according to my CPA.

My broker does not report the trades to the IRS

Unlikely.
/----/ Fidelity doesn't report them but it's up to me to do so.

Last edited:
I'm long on Nickel. Be there or be square, boys.

I bailed out of everything else in '07, aside from buying gold and silver.

Forum List

Back