Survey Says: Republicans Know More Than Democrats

When it comes to the goings-on in the news, some folks are more knowledgeable than others, with Republicans and older Americans scoring better on a current-events quiz.

Survey Says: Republicans Know More Than Democrats | LiveScience

While I'm happy that the results show Republicans to be the better informed party, the overall results are a pretty sad commentary on the electorate at large. Results like this almost make you wonder what's going to become of this nation.

From that link...

Riiiiiight. These would be the SAME morons...OOPS, republican men that...
STILL think Iraq was involved in 9/11
STILL think that Iraq had WMDs
STILL think that Bush was a GREAT President.
Riiiiiight.

LOL

Eh... I could have told you that. Just read any of the posters around here.

I wonder if my score of 98% would have put that 5% higher? :lol:

Wish I knew which ones I got wrong.
If you scored higher than 98% (I did too) then that must mean that your score was perfect. I would assume also that the average here on this board is very near that 98% just because here the population lives and breathes current affairs and politics.

I hate to break it to you, but the baby boomers ARE the seniors.
Not by the standard of the survey. Baby boomers are born post WWII, when the military service members returned, and 9 months after that, meaning in 2010 they are 64. They will be "seniors" when they qualify for Social Security at age 65. And 65 is the leading edge not the middle part of the cohort.
Another CON$ervative know-it-all who knows nothing, putting the lie to the phony survey.

You qualify for SS benefits at age 62 and you don't get full benefits till age 70.
All that depends on the year of one's biirth. In 2006 I retired at 65 with full benefits. My spouse, because of the year of birth cannot retire with full benefits until 65 years 9 months. But my post related to the Baby Boom generation versus the previous (lost) generation. And the Baby Boom generation began in 1946, and the leading edge of which are not yet regarded as "seniors" as they are not yet at the normal expected age of retirment. You seem a little desperate Ed, to show your smarts. Calm down.

It has to do with age and demographics more than anything else foo.

Yeah, good point. People as they get older and start making more money tend to change to republican, or at least fiscal conservatism. many young people are dems.

Who do you suppose spends more time listening to talk radio? Conservatives or liberals? Who probably spends more time watching televised news programs? I wonder which reads their daily paper more often or more thoroughly? Which one is reading the non fiction best sellers more often?

Few of these things are without bias, of course, but there is a wealth of information to be gained from all of them. So in addition to the age gap, which would also likely includes a quality of education gap, all that could be a factor re knowledge of names, places, positions, current events, etc.

The 'overheard conversation' posted earlier in this thread is soooo typical of what I have observed. Have you caught any of those impromptu 'man on the street' interviews conducted by Leno, Letterman, and sometimes political television or radio hosts? It is appalling how truly ignorant so many people actually are about current events or the most basic concepts of government and the people we elect to administer it.

And they walk and work among us.

And they vote.

Yeah, god forbid you mention this, and you are called a self appointed genius or a liberal elitist :lol:

When it comes to the goings-on in the news, some folks are more knowledgeable than others, with Republicans and older Americans scoring better on a current-events quiz.

Survey Says: Republicans Know More Than Democrats | LiveScience

While I'm happy that the results show Republicans to be the better informed party, the overall results are a pretty sad commentary on the electorate at large. Results like this almost make you wonder what's going to become of this nation.

From that link...

Riiiiiight. These would be the SAME morons...OOPS, republican men that...
STILL think Iraq was involved in 9/11
STILL think that Iraq had WMDs
STILL think that Bush was a GREAT President.
Riiiiiight.

LOL

To be honest, I contribute a lot of those people to intellectual dishonesty.They aren't dumb, they just are dishonest and refuse to admit they may be wrong, their worldview is wrong, so they will continue to argue about this. It's a known psychological problem, and can be infuriating.

Not by the standard of the survey. Baby boomers are born post WWII, when the military service members returned, and 9 months after that, meaning in 2010 they are 64. They will be "seniors" when they qualify for Social Security at age 65. And 65 is the leading edge not the middle part of the cohort.
Another CON$ervative know-it-all who knows nothing, putting the lie to the phony survey.

You qualify for SS benefits at age 62 and you don't get full benefits till age 70.
All that depends on the year of one's biirth. In 2006 I retired at 65 with full benefits. My spouse, because of the year of birth cannot retire with full benefits until 65 years 9 months. But my post related to the Baby Boom generation versus the previous (lost) generation. And the Baby Boom generation began in 1946, and the leading edge of which are not yet regarded as "seniors" as they are not yet at the normal expected age of retirment. You seem a little desperate Ed, to show your smarts. Calm down.
While the age for FULL benefits varies, anyone born after 1937 QUALIFIES for SS benefits at age 62 at a reduced rate. Boomers were born well after 1937 by your own admission. You said boomers don't QUALIFY until 65 and you are wrong, but typical of CON$, you are not honest enough to admit it.

Americans are just now realizing just how obstructionist the republicans have been this year.

Can you provide an example of this obstructionism?

As nearly as I can figure, if the Democrats refuse to allow any Republican amendments to legislation, they are being principled.

If the GOP votes no to the legislation the Democrats then puts up there, they are being obstructionist even when they don't have enough votes to keep the Democrats from passing anything they want to pass.

God help us if there isn't more obstructionism to some of the completely wacko, hairbrained, irresponsible, and/or dishonest stuff that the left side of the aisle is trying to force upon us though.

Quick question..........

If the GOP and the Republicans are so much smarter than the younger ones and the "liberals", then please......explain something........

Why is it that the GOP had their asses handed to them by a young liberal today?

"the GOP" has courted "conservatives" for several decades. During the time GW Bush was in office, the repuplican party (GOP) decided to go to DC and "act" like liberals. When it came time for a presidential canidate, the "liberal" states chose John McCain before the rest of the nation got to vote. When the election occurred, many 'conservatives' either voted for someone else (write-in or other party) or just stayed home: the choice was a 'liberal' or a "liberal". It seems when a canidate walks the walk, conservatively, they rarely lose.

Nice spin. The only reason "conservatives" bailed was because Bush's approval rating started tanking from a high of 90% after 911 and wound up in the mid 20's during his last year in office. They (you?) ran from identifying with him purely for political reasons.

Not fair Maggie. Many of us backed off President Bush when he sided with the leftwing environmental religionists, when he added another big government entitlement with his Senior Prescription initiative, when he did not chastise the Republicans for their indefensible earmarks in appropriations bills, when he proposed amnesty for illegal immigrants, when he started prosecuting the Iraq war according to liberal political correctness criteria and threw some military officers and border guards under the bus, and then went along with the mega billion TARP bailout initiative. And we were not at all enamored with a John McCain who wasn't criticizing many of those things and had some liberal notions of his own.

Except in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 when the country briefly pulled together to present a unified front, President Bush has never gotten good marks from the strident leftwingers, so those plunging poll numbers came from us conservatives, not you liberals.

President Bush also got a lot of stuff right, and I will continue to defend what he got right along with criticism of what he got wrong. I didn't think it was possible that I would want him back though. But after a year of Barack Obama, George W. Bush is looking a lot better.

Most Democrats do seem to be a bit dimwitted. I'm sorry but that just seems to be the reality. This is based on my experiences with most Hopey Changey sheep. These sheep just need those simple mantras like "Hope & Change" or "Yes we Can" to convince them to support that candidate. Seriously,the average Hopey Changey sheep i have talked to seems pretty dimwitted and ignorant. Can't really have an intelligent conversation with most of them. It actually scares me to think that these people do vote. Damn ACORN! Yikes!

Most Democrats do seem to be a bit dimwitted. I'm sorry but that just seems to be the reality. This is based on my experiences with most Hopey Changey sheep. These sheep just need those simple mantras like "Hope & Change" or "Yes we Can" to convince them to support that candidate. Seriously,the average Hopey Changey sheep i have talked to seems pretty dimwitted and ignorant. Can't really have an intelligent conversation with most of them. It actually scares me to think that these people do vote. Damn ACORN! Yikes!

think you speak of yourself here

Dim that projector lamp please.

Quick question..........

If the GOP and the Republicans are so much smarter than the younger ones and the "liberals", then please......explain something........

Why is it that the GOP had their asses handed to them by a young liberal today?

"the GOP" has courted "conservatives" for several decades. During the time GW Bush was in office, the repuplican party (GOP) decided to go to DC and "act" like liberals. When it came time for a presidential canidate, the "liberal" states chose John McCain before the rest of the nation got to vote. When the election occurred, many 'conservatives' either voted for someone else (write-in or other party) or just stayed home: the choice was a 'liberal' or a "liberal". It seems when a canidate walks the walk, conservatively, they rarely lose.

Nice spin. The only reason "conservatives" bailed was because Bush's approval rating started tanking from a high of 90% after 911 and wound up in the mid 20's during his last year in office. They (you?) ran from identifying with him purely for political reasons.

I was not focusing on GW Bush. I am sorry I did mention his name to a liberal, it is kind of like saying "outside" to a dog, they get all excited and start dancing around, barking.

You're really quite amusing. You call Democrats "dimwitted"?? Just look at some of your chosen words. "Hope Changey" which you childishly use in everything you post. Newsflash: Hope and change are the mantras of EVERY SINGLE PRESIDENTIAL WANNABE IN HISTORY.

And your constant reference to Acorn is, well, just plain dimwitted. I'll wager that 99.99% of Democrats had never even heard of Acorn until Foxy-Changey began it's non-stop coverage presented by its, um, "investigative reporter." Shall we go there? How's he doin' these days?

I was not focusing on GW Bush. I am sorry I did mention his name to a liberal, it is kind of like saying "outside" to a dog, they get all excited and start dancing around, barking.

Unlike you, of course, who starts salivating before you even begin typing the word "Acorn." It's also quite dimwitty to think that the policies of GWB's administration had nothing to do with the events of today.

You're really quite amusing. You call Democrats "dimwitted"?? Just look at some of your chosen words. "Hope Changey" which you childishly use in everything you post. Newsflash: Hope and change are the mantras of EVERY SINGLE PRESIDENTIAL WANNABE IN HISTORY.

And your constant reference to Acorn is, well, just plain dimwitted. I'll wager that 99.99% of Democrats had never even heard of Acorn until Foxy-Changey began it's non-stop coverage presented by its, um, "investigative reporter." Shall we go there? How's he doin' these days?

Several Fox analysts took on ACORN as well as other honorable sources. But I guess you would prefer that a corrupt and manipulative organization, so long as it calls itself 'progressive' or is a darling of the 'messiah', anything bad they do should be ignored? If it had been left up to the Obama press, it almost certainly would have been.

But that's why Republicans are probably better informed than Democrats. They probably more often don't want to 'not see' stuff.

Several Fox analysts took on ACORN as well as other honorable sources. But I guess you would prefer that a corrupt and manipulative organization, so long as it calls itself 'progressive' or is a darling of the 'messiah', anything bad they do should be ignored? If it had been left up to the Obama press, it almost certainly would have been.

But that's why Republicans are probably better informed than Democrats. They probably more often don't want to 'not see' stuff.

Oh please, Republicans ignore damaging information too. I'm thinking in particular about the $8.5 billion in cash unaccounted for by Paul Bremer as he doled out "gifts" to every ragtag Iraqi that approached his throne. That got swept under the rug until the 2004 election campaign. They also hid the true cost of the Medicare Part D drug bill in order to get it passed. My my my, how quickly the other "side" forgets such shenanigans.

Want to know why the GOP is spiraling downwards into stupidity?

Because they reject new ideas.

Good example of older, more "experienced" people getting their butts kicked by young, open minded, free thinkers?

Computers. Ever watch people over 60 try to surf the 'net?

Then check out how a teenager does it.

Nope, Republicans are DUMBER than liberals.

Want to know why the GOP is spiraling downwards into stupidity?

Because they reject new ideas.

Good example of older, more "experienced" people getting their butts kicked by young, open minded, free thinkers?

Computers. Ever watch people over 60 try to surf the 'net?

Then check out how a teenager does it.

Nope, Republicans are DUMBER than liberals.

You have me stumped with that analogy. Democrats get old too, not just Republicans. The reason ALL teenagers are whiz kids at computers is that they were born with one in their hands, whereas people like me remember when a "computer" was the size of a small office building, and we've had to keep up with technology moving at the speed of light instead of learning from the time we could walk how to push "send" and "delete" and watch in fascination as another picture screen dances before our eyes.

Forum List

Back