Survey Says: Republicans Know More Than Democrats

When it comes to the goings-on in the news, some folks are more knowledgeable than others, with Republicans and older Americans scoring better on a current-events quiz.

Survey Says: Republicans Know More Than Democrats | LiveScience

While I'm happy that the results show Republicans to be the better informed party, the overall results are a pretty sad commentary on the electorate at large. Results like this almost make you wonder what's going to become of this nation.

This is another reason why I like the recent SCOTUS decision. More and probably better political speech should help inform the electorate.

I heard a few of the ladies at work last week after the election talking. It went something like:

Lady 1: Cuz of that election we can't have that healthcare thing now.

Lady 2: What election?

Lady 1: That one where the democrat won, or the republican won, whichever the last one was? the new one isn't and now their not gonna make healthcare free, I don't think.

Lady 1 had the right idea, she was just short on details.

maybe.. something needs to catch the attention of the public. Sad to think that the same people that don't know who the Senate majority leader is, vote.

I just took the quiz, and that one ^ shocked me too. I mean given the other choices, WTF??? Al Franken? Granted, Reid doesn't quite have the reputation that Pelosi does (she's a household name), but they made that question (and a few others) practically idiot proof.

Here's the quiz, if anyone wants to test themselves. The questions are really simple, however. I'd like to see one a little more in depth.

Test Your News IQ Q1 - Pew Research Center

True Story from earlier this week.

I talked to a 26 year old engineer who also teaches physics part time, married with one son and generally relates more to conservatism because they say they are patriotic and insist they are fiscally conservative.

He said he couldn't believe that Republicans would elect Arnold Schwarzenegger as a "governor" because he is a dumb "actor".

I pointed out that Scott Brown was a nude centerfold, Sarah Palin a former bathing suit beauty queen and Ronald Reagan was a B movie actor and he absolutely did NOT believe it. He said he did NOT believe that Ronald Reagan was a movie actor. I had to take him to the Internet and PROVE all three. The guy was flabbergasted. So was I. How could anyone not know these things? How is it possible? Well, now I know.

Ronald Reagan was far more than just an actor. And how is it a negative that Brown or Palin had that kind of "exposure" when they were younger? What is suggested to me by your coments is that you have negative notions about those who win in those kinds of contests and stereotype them for it, because you believe those are less than conservative standards. As far as Schwarzenegger is concerned, being an actor and a business person didn't make him a conservative, he only acted that part.

Schwarzenegger turned out to be far worse than Wilson, ousted by recall, but at the time all the Republicans thought Arnie was God's gift to the Golden State. I told my friends in CA that his politics were his wife's politics, regardless what he campaigned on. Now they know. Plus Arnold never could control his legislature. He was a joke from the outset.

Quick question..........

If the GOP and the Republicans are so much smarter than the younger ones and the "liberals", then please......explain something........

Why is it that the GOP had their asses handed to them by a young liberal today?

"the GOP" has courted "conservatives" for several decades. During the time GW Bush was in office, the repuplican party (GOP) decided to go to DC and "act" like liberals. When it came time for a presidential canidate, the "liberal" states chose John McCain before the rest of the nation got to vote. When the election occurred, many 'conservatives' either voted for someone else (write-in or other party) or just stayed home: the choice was a 'liberal' or a "liberal". It seems when a canidate walks the walk, conservatively, they rarely lose.

When it comes to the goings-on in the news, some folks are more knowledgeable than others, with Republicans and older Americans scoring better on a current-events quiz.

While I'm happy that the results show Republicans to be the better informed party, the overall results are a pretty sad commentary on the electorate at large. Results like this almost make you wonder what's going to become of this nation.

When it comes to the goings-on in the news, everything you KNOW is wrong.

I pointed out that Scott Brown was a nude centerfold, Sarah Palin a former bathing suit beauty queen and Ronald Reagan was a B movie actor and he absolutely did NOT believe it. He said he did NOT believe that Ronald Reagan was a movie actor. I had to take him to the Internet and PROVE all three.

:lol: The best ones are the birthers who call into the radio. :lol:

Who do you suppose spends more time listening to talk radio? Conservatives or liberals? Who probably spends more time watching televised news programs? I wonder which reads their daily paper more often or more thoroughly? Which one is reading the non fiction best sellers more often?

Few of these things are without bias, of course, but there is a wealth of information to be gained from all of them. So in addition to the age gap, which would also likely includes a quality of education gap, all that could be a factor re knowledge of names, places, positions, current events, etc.

The 'overheard conversation' posted earlier in this thread is soooo typical of what I have observed. Have you caught any of those impromptu 'man on the street' interviews conducted by Leno, Letterman, and sometimes political television or radio hosts? It is appalling how truly ignorant so many people actually are about current events or the most basic concepts of government and the people we elect to administer it.

And they walk and work among us.

And they vote.

I don't listen to talk radio, mainly because I'm not a good multi-tasker and the only time I would be able to just sit and listen I have cable news on, usually CNN which carries all current events not just politics. But I read a LOT, both in conjunction with my scaled-back job I still maintain in semi-retirement, and the TV gets turned off by 9PM for the sole purpose of reading (hard copy, not from websites). I think I absorb a solid all-around view of the political landscape, both left AND right.

Along with my sister (who is one of those disinterested in the process period) and a couple of other friends, as we watched and listened to Obama's SOU address last Wednesday, I found myself saying, "There's so-and so" as the cameras panned the audience, and then it became like a game for the others who would ask me "Who is that?" And I actually surprised myself that I know by face so many of the lawmakers, and that's only because I do pay so much attention. I'm not bragging here, just pointing out that to be well informed, you need to pay close attention practically 24/7/365.

Do republicans actually watch the news? Or just get their spin of the news from the commentary/pundit shows?

"just 32 percent knew the Senate passed its version of the legislation without a single Republican vote"

Here you go , this is the differance in the poll.

Americans are just now realizing just how obstructionist the republicans have been this year.

Quick question..........

If the GOP and the Republicans are so much smarter than the younger ones and the "liberals", then please......explain something........

Why is it that the GOP had their asses handed to them by a young liberal today?

"the GOP" has courted "conservatives" for several decades. During the time GW Bush was in office, the repuplican party (GOP) decided to go to DC and "act" like liberals. When it came time for a presidential canidate, the "liberal" states chose John McCain before the rest of the nation got to vote. When the election occurred, many 'conservatives' either voted for someone else (write-in or other party) or just stayed home: the choice was a 'liberal' or a "liberal". It seems when a canidate walks the walk, conservatively, they rarely lose.

Nice spin. The only reason "conservatives" bailed was because Bush's approval rating started tanking from a high of 90% after 911 and wound up in the mid 20's during his last year in office. They (you?) ran from identifying with him purely for political reasons.

"just 32 percent knew the Senate passed its version of the legislation without a single Republican vote"

Americans are just now realizing just how obstructionist the republicans have been this year.

But Fox does not call the Republicans obstrucionists. So how would the republicans know?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you; it's the things you know that ain't so."[Mark Twain]

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you; it's the things you know that ain't so."[Mark Twain]

Yep Sam was just about as wise as I am. He was a MUCH better writer though.

True Story from earlier this week.

I talked to a 26 year old engineer who also teaches physics part time, married with one son and generally relates more to conservatism because they say they are patriotic and insist they are fiscally conservative.

He said he couldn't believe that Republicans would elect Arnold Schwarzenegger as a "governor" because he is a dumb "actor".

I pointed out that Scott Brown was a nude centerfold, Sarah Palin a former bathing suit beauty queen and Ronald Reagan was a B movie actor and he absolutely did NOT believe it. He said he did NOT believe that Ronald Reagan was a movie actor. I had to take him to the Internet and PROVE all three. The guy was flabbergasted. So was I. How could anyone not know these things? How is it possible? Well, now I know.

Ronald Reagan was far more than just an actor. And how is it a negative that Brown or Palin had that kind of "exposure" when they were younger? What is suggested to me by your coments is that you have negative notions about those who win in those kinds of contests and stereotype them for it, because you believe those are less than conservative standards. As far as Schwarzenegger is concerned, being an actor and a business person didn't make him a conservative, he only acted that part.

Schwarzenegger turned out to be far worse than Wilson, ousted by recall, but at the time all the Republicans thought Arnie was God's gift to the Golden State. I told my friends in CA that his politics were his wife's politics, regardless what he campaigned on. Now they know. Plus Arnold never could control his legislature. He was a joke from the outset.
WOW Maggie...something we agree on. The need for instant gratification embodied by a savior the R party displays with the likes of Arnold, Condoleezza Rice, Bobby Jindal, Colin Powell, Etal reeks of desperation, looks silly, and is a huge mistake. The seriousness of a potential candidate is revealed over time by their consistency to their ideals and principles. I cringe when some new and untested face strikes the collective fancy of the party I (have to) identify with for lack of a better one; some proposed the constitution be amended to allow foreign born to be elected president. But at least the Rs have it over the Ds in this regard, by not electing them to the highest office.

Re Arnold; California is a special case.

I hate to break it to you, but the baby boomers ARE the seniors.
Not by the standard of the survey. Baby boomers are born post WWII, when the military service members returned, and 9 months after that, meaning in 2010 they are 64. They will be "seniors" when they qualify for Social Security at age 65. And 65 is the leading edge not the middle part of the cohort.
Another CON$ervative know-it-all who knows nothing, putting the lie to the phony survey.

You qualify for SS benefits at age 62 and you don't get full benefits till age 70.

But Fox does not call the Republicans obstrucionists. So how would the republicans know?

I think they showed their colors yesterday in the one on a hundered Q and A session.

Fox will likely only show the questions and not the answers. They actually talked fover the feed of it yesterday after the first few minutes when it bacame obvious they Rs were facing a trickle of whoopass number ten.

This is another reason why I like the recent SCOTUS decision. More and probably better political speech should help inform the electorate.

I heard a few of the ladies at work last week after the election talking. It went something like:

Lady 1: Cuz of that election we can't have that healthcare thing now.

Lady 2: What election?

Lady 1: That one where the democrat won, or the republican won, whichever the last one was? the new one isn't and now their not gonna make healthcare free, I don't think.

Lady 1 had the right idea, she was just short on details.

maybe.. something needs to catch the attention of the public. Sad to think that the same people that don't know who the Senate majority leader is, vote.

I just took the quiz, and that one ^ shocked me too. I mean given the other choices, WTF??? Al Franken? Granted, Reid doesn't quite have the reputation that Pelosi does (she's a household name), but they made that question (and a few others) practically idiot proof.

Here's the quiz, if anyone wants to test themselves. The questions are really simple, however. I'd like to see one a little more in depth.

Test Your News IQ Q1 - Pew Research Center

"Here's Your Score: You correctly answered 12 of the 12 possible questions along with approximately 2% of the public. You did better than 98% of the general public."

Forum List

Back