Surprise Medical Billing Is Going To Be A Thing Of The Past (Mostly) As Of January 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
As of Jan. 1, surprise medical billing will be (mostly) a thing of the past. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced that the rules for the No Surprises Act, enacted on Dec. 27, 2020, are finalized and take effect on Monday.

“Starting Jan. 1, 2022, consumers will have new billing protections when getting emergency care, non-emergency care from out-of-network providers at in-network facilities, and air ambulance services from out-of-network providers,” CMS announced. “Through new rules aimed to protect consumers, excessive out-of-pocket costs will be restricted, and emergency services must continue to be covered without any prior authorization, and regardless of whether or not a provider or facility is in-network.”

So doctors, nurses, and hospitals just get to work for free now?

Neat. I always wondered what a Cuban-style medical system would look like in the US.

Neat. I always wondered what a Cuban-style medical system would look like in the US.

No, they just won't be able to rape the taxpayer as easily anymore.

who said anything about working for free?

They just have to let you know if they are a network provider or not

No more surprises when you get the bill

The "feels" part of me likes it but the thinking part of me knows this is a very bad idea.....Oh well.
That's where I'm at as well.

More like "what's the catch...".

There's no such thing as a free lunch... Someone is paying somewhere down the line...

But it could be a good thing... Requires more research... And if you trust the Daily Kos as a source you're a fool...

See Original Poster for confirmation.

He was forced to use 'Skews' as a handle due to truth in packaging laws...

Skew - To give a bias to; distort.

surprise billing isn't all billing.

If not, then who pays for it? Joe's Magic Money?

Who pays?
If the patient agrees to service outside their network the patient pays the difference

What doesn’t happen is an out of network provider does not just show up and demand you pay his higher rates

That means if you have a medical emergency, you won’t end up with a hefty bill from a provider you didn’t choose to provide care. The rule covers all emergency care and most other care. It means you don’t have to undertake a complicated process before receiving care to find out if every service you are getting from every provider will be approved by your insurer.

Who pays?
If the patient agrees to service outside their network the patient pays the difference

What doesn’t happen is an out of network provider does not just show up and demand you pay his higher rates
That's the understanding I'm getting as well... Mostly where the patient has no choice, i.e. emergency services...but another example given was a patient schedules in-network surgery but the available anesthesiologist is out-of-network... which is outside of the control of the patient.

It sounds like it could be a positive step. That's my gut reaction. Time will tell if it works out that way...but personally I'm cautiously optimistic.

Who pays?

In my case, the taxpayer. And the tax I pay for this is under half the health insurance premiums Americans pay in the US.

As of Jan. 1, surprise medical billing will be (mostly) a thing of the past. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced that the rules for the No Surprises Act, enacted on Dec. 27, 2020, are finalized and take effect on Monday.

“Starting Jan. 1, 2022, consumers will have new billing protections when getting emergency care, non-emergency care from out-of-network providers at in-network facilities, and air ambulance services from out-of-network providers,” CMS announced. “Through new rules aimed to protect consumers, excessive out-of-pocket costs will be restricted, and emergency services must continue to be covered without any prior authorization, and regardless of whether or not a provider or facility is in-network.”

Serious problem. Got hit a year out of the blue, after ripping out ACL, part of MCL and a chunck of Miniscus on a slope in Colorado for the brace, they put on me to get me out of the ER and out of the state. Everything else billed normal through Blue Cross and TriCare. Yet, over a year later when all insurance had paid, all medical debts paid in Colorado and in Tennessee, I get a first billing from a medical supply company in Colorado for $700 Plus for this brace. I responded immediately to have the turn it in, to Blue Cross and TriCare. They did. I got EOBs from both denying the charge as untimely. The company said it was my responsibility, and they were turning it over for collection. I wrote, pointing out Colorado's new (at that time) law against surprise billing) that I was declining to pay for their untimely billing, past insurance filing deadlines and in fact had a debit memorandum attached to my letter. I didn't quibble over the price of the cheap brace used to immobilize my knew, though it was definitely a cheap piece of crap. I did let them know I was filing a complaint through the Attorney Generals of both Colorado and Tennessee, and those letter went out, same day with copies of documentation. I also pointed out, I was retired and had nothing but time to file paperwork, definitely knew how and that they should cease and desist all action. For good measure, I had my letter motorized by a friend. I got a letter from the company, no action would be taken at this time and have not heard from them since.
That was "surprise billing". That was bullsh#t. There is no telling, how many times others have been screwed.

That's actually not the way it works.
Billing Providers hired Treating Providers and couldn't charge co-pays for them.
The Billing Providers we raking in the bucks big time.
The AMA bribed their State Legislatures to make Treating Providers Billable.
Of course, when you check in you only pay the co-pay for the Billing Provider.

Then you get 1 or more bill 2 months later for the Treating Providers.
Complete bullshit.

Your $25.00 co-pay can become a $200.00 co-pay.

no personal content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back