Suprised the soccer guys weren't on the Beckham thing...

Discussion in 'Sports' started by insein, Jan 12, 2007.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    David Beckham comes to America for $250 million!!!! Like the guy didnt have enough bloody money. He's going to make $50 million a year. That is ludicrous.

My question since i'm not a soccer guy is, does he have anything left? Is he still in the prime of his career or is he winding down? Either way, i dont think it does a damn thing for American soccer because Football reigns supreme in this nation and Baseball (despite their every effort to destroy themselves) keeps on thriving as well.

2. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39

Well , David Beckham is not the player he once used to be. Also , he isn't getting enough palying time in Madrid so he decided to move to LA Galaxy. Also , David Beckham has a soccer academy in the United States and is planning to build a mansion in beverly Hills (So that Victoria can start off her acting career:razz: ).

Well , Beckham can still work wonders with his foot and chip in a few free kicks for LA Galaxy in the MLS. He can link up well with the team strikers and help thme score more goals. Now , what does this mean for LA Galaxy and MLS ?

Well FOX Sports can expect more viewership during LA Galaxy games as there are quite a few Beckham fans in the States. Also , LA Galaxy can cash in on marketing and lucrative sponsorship courtesy Beckham. But one thing is for sure ... Beckham's presence will be felt in U.S sport.

3. Greg Bernhardt

Greg Bernhardt www.physics*****s.com

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I agree $250m is outrageous, but he will do wonders for the sport.

4. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39

No denying that Beckham is a great midfielder but I think we have all seen the best of Beckham. Yes , the boy from Leytonstone has done wonders for the sport (Who can forget his long range goals for Man U...Even though I never was or am a Man U supporter Beckham while playing for Man U used to create magic on the pitch). His last 3 years haven't been good. He is 31 now and has performed to the best of his abilities. One can only wait and see how Becks performs in the MLS.

5. Greg Bernhardt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No doubt he'll be top 5 in the league no problem. Beckham whether or not plays well doesn't really matter. He is now the face for the MLS and will be a marketing dynamo. MLS will actually be in the news and on espn. That is HUGE.

6. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39

Exactly. We can expect Adidas to sponsor the MLS and provide the balls and stuff then...
    The Nike guys must be cursing

7. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,739
    I don't think this guy Beckham is going to change the fact that most Americans find watching soccer extremely boring. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

8. Greg Bernhardt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I don't think anyone is saying that he will change soccer to a major sport in the US. However it will give a massive boost to MLS which has been steadily going every year. Soccer grows with every new generation. Personally I've grown up playing and watching so it's all good to me. Part of watching soccer is not for the goals, but for the general play of the game. A goal is just the icing.

9. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    I just don't think i'll ever be able to get into soccer. I played the sport for 8 years when i was younger and had fun doing it. However, once i got to high school, i joined the football team and havent played soccer since except in a pick up game with my nephews. Watching soccer is boring. I watched probably 8 or 9 matches this past summer during World cup and couldnt really get into any except for the german ones where the crowd was overhyped.

I think MLS will gain strength of all areas from the Hispanic influx into this country. Hispanics love soccer and i think getting MLS on TV will help them in that aspect. Beyond that area, MLS will be a distant 5th or 6th to other major sports in this country.

10. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    if the tree in the backyard is dripping sap I have something a great deal more interesting to watch than soccer.