Super Committee Democrats Reject GOP Tax Proposal

Discussion in 'Politics' started by WillowTree, Nov 10, 2011.

1. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,700
    With just two weeks left to craft a deficit reduction package, members of the bipartisan Joint Committee on Deficit Reduction remain far from a deal, this according to both Democratic and Republican aides close to the negotiations.

Two days after Republicans on the so-called super committee, led by Pennsylvania Sen. Pat Toomey, offered a $1.5 trillion package that included, for the first time, new tax revenue to the tune of about $300 billion, Democrats are rejecting the offer.

"We have a big gap with respect to where we are on revenue," panel Democrat John Kerry told a handful of reporters Wednesday morning. "The Toomey approach will not work. We've told them that very directly. We have to find a different way to come at it."

The senior Massachusetts senator met behind closed doors in his third floor Capitol office Tuesday night with a key bipartisan core group from the committee, including Toomey, Reps. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., Dave Camp, R-Mich., Fred Upton, R-Mich., and Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont.

"This is not complicated. They've got to put real revenue on the table that helps us get the job done," Kerry said, adding that he is "still hopeful" a deal can be reached by November 23.

In reality, that deadline will hit even sooner, though. The budget crunchers at the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) must get a complete product soon, in order to have time to analyze and score a bill for floor consideration. Super committee aides say CBO must then publish that score by November 21.

Read more: Super Committee Democrats Reject GOP Tax Proposal - Fox News

2. Inthemiddle

Inthemiddle BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Two things strike me here.

1) The Democrats don't have their own counter proposal to offer.

2) The Republican proposal only offers such paltry results as they have complained about the Dems offering as insufficient in the recent past.

It seems that things are just as partisan as ever, and both sides are still doing nothing more than playing politics.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    First this Super Committee strikes me as well beyond the bounds what congress is empowered to do. It also strikes me as both the Senate and the House being derelict in it's duties and assigning duties otherwise reserved for both houses to a small group of individuals. I'm also of the opinion that this is an excercise that will eventually lead right back where it started and that is cuts that will kick in automatically. or some with both sides posturing for some last minute deal.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    the democrats don't want cuts.....all they want is revenue....

5. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    This is EXACTLY it... they want more in... and to spend more... not cutting a damn thing, because they know without payouts thru government spending, they cannot keep their voting base thru class warfare

6. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    Typical Government mess. Call something "Super" that will be anything but super. How much in cuts are we really talking about here? $1-2 Trillion? Just a drop in a bucket. Our Debt will grow to a staggering $20 Trillion by 2015. What's $1-2 Trillion in cuts? And they can't even agree on such small cuts. Nothing "Super" about this committee. Nothing at all.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    It seems to me these cuts they are talking about are all over a 10 year period of time, so you mean to tell me they cannot find, 100 billion a year to cut from the budget a year? Heck I can find half that in DOD waste or for that matter here's a novel idea, how about a 25% congressional and executive paycut? Not that I am advocating for these things it's just a way of pointing out that it appears there is a whole lot more politics going on with this Super Committee than really wanting to do the right thing.

8. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    If they can't even agree on such small cuts,we are doomed. Time to stop calling this committee "Super."

9. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,945
    Don't buy into this word game BS, democrats want to RAISE TAXES. "More revenue" is the watered down, nicey-nicey, hope the ignorant don't catch on, politically correct name for RAISING TAXES! That's all the liberals know how to do, TAX & SPEND, even though it is PAINFULLY clear that it is OVER TAXING AND SPENDING that has gotten us INTO THIS MESS! Any politician at this point proposing NEW SPENDING should be tried for TREASON.

Don't fall for this "revenue" crap. Democrats want to RAISE TAXES, call it that. Don't let them BS anyone.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  10. Listening

Listening Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    I am so looking forward to the next debt ceiling drama !

This time, we need to let it tank.